Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old May 11, 2020, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
With respect to my initial thinking (the previously cited "Exhibit A"; admittedly, not my formal guess): of nine elements in the correct answer (three airlines, three aircraft types, two connecting airports, and the arrival airport), I actually identified six (two airlines, two aircraft types, one connecting airport, and the arrival airport) ... I guess I had expected acknowledgement (the previously cited "Exhibit B") of more than just the one airline

I might have arrived at the answer a bit sooner, and with quite a bit less "What the h-e-double-hockey-sticks?!" frustration
Thanks for the definition of "paradigm". I must admit it's not a word that's ever been employed in my limited vernacular. While I do apologize and empathize for the frustration generated by some of my responses, I can't guarantee it won't happen again. After all, I am but a lowly bus driver with commensurate skills whereas you are, like, an aircraft engineer or something. I think my IQ checks in at about 100 - or at least the high 80s - enough to get me from A to B, just not as fast as the rest a youse. So, bear with me and if things need clarification just let me know and I shall endeavor to enhance my response.
Old May 11, 2020, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
a couple of TWA answers ... one tap-in, and one that I'm reasonably sure of:
34- LGA-STL-SMF, TW, not a 767 ... by 1995 TW's 72S fleet was pretty much down to sub-1000-mile trips, so this had to have been a MadDog
Hope they brought their approach plates! I posted upthread a "Heard on Channel 9" moment when a TW flight heading into SMF behind my UA flight found themselves without approach plates for SMF as it was a brand new destination for TW at the time.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
37. (1979) After having traveled from Baltimore to Pittsburgh by train, you join an old friend from Carnegie Mellon University to watch the Steelers take on their arch rivals, the Cleveland Browns. The next day is a travel day requiring you to head across country to Seattle, Washington. Unfortunately, US Air is still a couple years away from offering nonstop flights in this market, but thankfully there is a single daily one-stop direct flight. Better yet, it’s a morning departure and it’s got a First Class seat available. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.

37- keeping my red-and-white theme going here ...
TWA began their SEA-STL service with 707-131s in May of 1979; I think the inaugural was a ~1200 departure on Thurs of Memorial Day weekend ... but being two months from my anniversary date at work, I could only get one day of vacation in advance, so I had to take the redeye at 0030 Fri morning (continuing to DCA, with a change of gauge to a 72S)

back to the Quiz — the inbound morning flight could well have been a TW 707 leaving PIT ~0700, STL ~0900, and arriving SEA ~1100
Old May 11, 2020, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
46. (1985) You’ve been invited to join friends for a party at their condo near Mt. Lemmon, the southernmost ski destination in the continental United States. Last year you went on a ski trip to Aspen but your skis stayed behind in Denver and didn’t arrive until the day after you’d departed Aspen. Once you’ve located the closest airport to Mt. Lemmon you’re understandably thankful to discover a single daily direct flight departing Spokane’s Geiger Field every afternoon. It makes three stops along the way, but hey – no connections! By now you know the drill – airline, aircraft and stops. In order, please.

So we know the aircraft in question was a 72S and the last stop was PHX. Therefore, I'll guess this was Northwest with stops at Seattle, San Francisco and Phoenix.

Yep - that's the one. If it's outta Spokane in the eighties to anywhere in the west, Northwest is a good bet, especially since Republic scaled back much of Hughes Airwest's once dominant presence in the region. Here's the schedule:

Northwest NW 684 Spokane (GEG) 305p-355p Seattle (SEA) 430p-617p S San Francisco (SFO) 645p-830p D Phoenix (PHX) 855p-930pTucson (TUS) 727-200

Once upon a time while driving from Pasadena, CA to Austin, TX I attempted to cruise up to Mt. Lemmon while passing through Tucson during the winter months. However, at the base of the mountain road there was a law enforcement check point. So I stopped, of course, and the following conversation ensued: "Good morning, sir. Do you have tire chains?" "Ah....no....." "Well then, you need to go back into town and get some." "Thank you", I replied and then turned around and headed for Interstate 10 east. I never did make it up to Mt. Lemmon by car......but I did get to see the summit the next summer from my window seat as the Continental B727-200 I was on board en route from Austin to LAX via stops at Midland/Odessa at El Paso swooped over Mt. Lemmon as we prepared to land at Tucson on a beautiful afternoon

I believe Tucson is the only place where a PGA Tour event had to be cancelled due to snow.

https://tucson.com/sports/golf/profe...c1426c5eb.html
Old May 11, 2020, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
60. (1979) Cleveland can be particularly dreary in the winter, so one can only imagine your excitement to be headed down to sunny Acapulco this weekend. Thankfully, you won’t have to make any connections either because there’s a single direct flight between Cleveland and Acapulco that makes two enroute stops. Name the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type.

60- I can only think of two candidate airlines; interestingly, they would have had a common stop, and they would have probably featured the same equipment — so let’s start with the less likely one: Braniff, operating a 72S via Dallas/DFW and Houston/IAH
Old May 11, 2020, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

37. (1979) After having traveled from Baltimore to Pittsburgh by train, you join an old friend from Carnegie Mellon University to watch the Steelers take on their arch rivals, the Cleveland Browns. The next day is a travel day requiring you to head across country to Seattle, Washington. Unfortunately, US Air is still a couple years away from offering nonstop flights in this market, but thankfully there is a single daily one-stop direct flight. Better yet, it’s a morning departure and it’s got a First Class seat available. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the enroute stop.

Keeping my red-and-white theme going here ... TWA began their SEA-STL service with 707-131s in May of 1979; I think the inaugural was a ~1200 departure on Thurs of Memorial Day weekend ... but being two months from my anniversary date at work, I could only get one day of vacation in advance, so I had to take the redeye at 0030 Fri morning (continuing to DCA, with a change of gauge to a 72S). Back to the Quiz — the inbound morning flight could well have been a TW 707 leaving PIT ~0700, STL ~0900, and arriving SEA ~1100

In 1979, if you're heading west out of Pittsburgh, TWA is always a good bet. As it were however, TWA did not yet offer a direct flight on this route - at least not per the OAG I referenced for this question. No, we're looking for a different airline operating a different jet along a different routing.

Please, do guess again!
Old May 11, 2020, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We're making good progress here. For any of you new to the festivities, please limit your response to no more than two questions per day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete answers here. Ready? Set? Go!

32. (1989) Your family loves to ski. Unfortunately quality ski opportunities are difficult to come by in Minnesota so this year you’ve headed off to Killington, Vermont. Unfortunately, getting back home to the Twin Cities will not be as easy as it was getting to Vermont. Your flight from Burlington to Minneapolis makes 2 enroute stops. At least a snack is served along the way. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the two enroute stops.

35. (1988) Once upon a time, there were lots of relatively short 747 flights within the continental United States. We’re talking segments under 1000 miles in length. Anyway, that was then. These days I’ve found just three segments under 1000 miles being flown by 747s in the continental U.S. For this question, we’re looking to identify just the shortest segment and the airline that flies it.
A N S W E R E D

36. (1979) It’s been a great weekend in Las Vegas but now duty calls in Baltimore. You’ve got a late afternoon appointment in Glen Burnie and it just so happens that there’s a one-stop redeye that’ll get you into Baltimore mid-morning. Your ability to sleep on airplanes is legendary, so this flight will be perfect! Identify the airline, aircraft and the stop.

A N S W E R E D

38. (1998) You’re seated aboard the only flight between New York and Las Vegas that markets a Business Class or “C” class seat. Well what the heck – it’s cheaper than everyone else’s First Class so you’ve decided to splurge! Identify the airline and aircraft you’re flying aboard.

39. (1979) Between San Juan, PR and Miami, almost all of the mostly daily flights are operated with wide-bodied equipment. Only one airline serves this route exclusively with narrow-bodied equipment (2 daily flights). Identify that airline as well as the aircraft type it utilizes.

40. (1988) From your home outside St. Louis, MO you need to fly back to Long Island for your 10th high school reunion at Connetquot High School. These days there’s a lot more service into nearby Long Island MacArthur Airport than there used to be, though you’re disappointed to find none from hometown airline TWA. Thankfully, the STL-ISP route is served by a single daily two-stop flight, so you quickly book a seat before pondering which clothes will make you look thinnest at the reunion. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops in order.

43. (1989) It used to bethat the only airline offering flights between Albuquerque and Tucson was Frontier. You still have fond memories of dressing up to fly to Tucson aboard a new 727 Arrow Jet back in 1967. These days Frontier has passed into history and the ABQ-TUS market is now served by two airlines, each offering two daily nonstop flights. Identify those airlines and the aircraft each operates on its flights.

44. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, what was the longest Convair 880 flight in North America?
It wasn't JFK-PHX or PIT-LAX

45. (1995) Duty calls in the form of a sales call next week out in Albuquerque, New Mexico. From your home office in New Orleans, you figure you’ll probably have to connect in Houston or Dallas but are pleased to find a one stop direct flight that departs New Orleans each morning and arrives in Albuquerque with plenty of time left in the day to complete your business. You ask your secretary to book you a seat and then return your attention to the Metairie project.
It's not Southwest

47. (1988) It had been a nice ride thus far – as buses go. You’d boarded the Grey Dog in Wilmington, DE earlier this evening and were headed to Scranton, PA when suddenly the driver came on over the PA and announced that there was some kind of a problem with the engine and he’d have to get off the road. Thankfully he was able to do so at a Sunoco Travel Plaza just off I-95 on the outskirts of Philadelphia. He then contacted dispatch on his radio only to be informed that a replacement bus wouldn’t be available until sometime after 11:30pm. Whaaat? No way! You need to be in Scranton before midnight! Maybe you could fly there. You call US Air whose agent informs you that their last flight of the night between Philly and AVP departs in 12 minutes. However, she’s kind enough to let you know that another airline has a flight departing Philly in about an hour and half, with a jet no less. Calls to that airline and then a taxi company prove fruitful and soon you’re on your way to AVP in First Class no less, courtesy of the FN/YN designated flight. Identify the airline and aircraft you’re flying upon.

48. (1998) If you want to fly out of Las Vegas aboard a DC-9-30, only one airline fits the bill, offering service to a single destination. Identify the airline and the destination city served.

49. (1989) Your old college buddy from Carnegie Mellon University has called to let you know he’s recently come upon a pair of tickets to this weekend’s Steelers game against the Patriots. Wanna go?! Hmm… A quick check of the schedules shows a single airline offering two daily direct flights between your hometown airport in Melbourne, FL and Pittsburgh. Both flights make the same two stops along the way, and in terms of total travel time either one would time out about the same as if you’d made a 1.5 hour connection in Atlanta. You decide to book a seat on the early evening flight and call your buddy with the good news. Name the airline, the aircraft and the two stops. And if you’re really up for it, the score of the game.

53. (1970) Based upon schedules reflected in the 1970 OAG I used to reference these questions, what was the shortest flight in the U.S. operated with a 747?
It's not JFK-BOS. It's longer

57. (1998) From your home in Scottsdale, Arizona you need to travel to Montreal, Quebec for a symposium on light rail options and operations hosted by Bombardier, one of the world's largest companies in the rail vehicle and equipment manufacturing and servicing industry. With plenty of time available to you before the symposium, you decide to have a bit of fun with your flights out to Montreal. To wit, you’ve found a combination of flights that will allow you to
  • Fly between PHX and YMX aboard a 727, 737 and 747 in that order
  • Both the 727 and 737 flights will be in all-economy configurations with only the 747 offering premium class seating
  • The 727 and 737 flights are not variant specific
It’s worth noting that given the departure point of the 747 into YMX, one and only one routing meets the specifications outlined above, especially given the use of single class configured aircraft. BTW, you will overnight at the final connection point though this shouldn’t have any bearing on the parameters described above. Good luck, men!

58. (1988) You’ve had a great week of sailboarding around the Bahamas and now it’s time to return home to Nashville. Your trip out to Nassau involved a couple of connections, but on the way home you’ll be on a direct flight – albeit one that makes two enroute stops. That’s fine by you – there’ll be less chances to damage or lose your rad sailboard. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops in order please.

60. (1979) Cleveland can be particularly dreary in the winter, so one can only imagine your excitement to be headed down to sunny Acapulco this weekend. Thankfully, you won’t have to make any connections either because there’s a single direct flight between Cleveland and Acapulco that makes two enroute stops. Name the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type.
Braniff 72S routing CLE - ____ - IAH - ACA has been identified. Need missing stop

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 12, 2020 at 3:52 pm
Old May 11, 2020, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

37- a few years earlier, United had run a 747 on a LAX-ORD-PIT redeye; UA118 was actually the continuation of a flight from HNL(maybe ITO) when I took the LAX-ORD portion ... the turn would have certainly gone back to ORD, and the 1000 ORD-SEA was usually UA143, the 747 that went on to NRT (I scored a couple of ORD-SEA upgrades in the 1982-84 timeframe; I remember watching "War Games" while in an upper deck seat, one of the very few times I've ever opted for the IFE) ... how about that option?
Old May 11, 2020, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA
American. Chicago and Dallas. 707.
Old May 11, 2020, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

60- I can only think of two candidate airlines; interestingly, they would have had a common stop, and they would have probably featured the same equipment — so let’s start with the less likely one: Braniff, operating a 72S via Dallas/DFW and Houston/IAH
Originally Posted by WHBM
that was my second choice for the airline, but I don't recall AA operating CLE-ORD ... was thinking St Louis/STL was perhaps a more likely routing
Old May 11, 2020, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

remember a few weeks ago we had an interesting exchange about flight numbers?
Originally Posted by Herb687
It's funny how some flight numbers stick in your head. ... Another flight number I remember though I never took it: for years UA711 was always an ORD-LAS flight! And I believe AA1776 flew DFW-PHL.
here's my first post (# 2775) on this thread, back in June of 2013
that would most likely have been TWA 708, L-1011 (evening return from JFK was 701)
I also knew those without looking at my log, from having taken them easily half a dozen times each in the ~1988-94 timeframe
Originally Posted by jlemon
And for me it's American 606 operated with a DC-10-10 from Los Angeles to San Juan via a stop at DFW back in the mid 1980's. ...
Back as early as 1969, I remember flying United 164, the 830am departure from Denver to New York JFK....
Another flight number I remember well is Continental 615, my first 747 flight taken on June 15, 1971.
And finally, CO 600, which for many years back in the 1970s was my go-to flight from LAX to Denver. It was a DC-10 that departed LAX at 500pm.
... I can doubtless come up with *many* others ...
  • UA485 was about the only Caravelle that came through DCA (BWI-DCA-CMH-DAY-ORD ...)
  • AA704 was an Electra that operated ORD-IND-CVG-CRW-DCA and then turned to AA789 DCA-MEM
  • TW247 was one of the last Constellation flights
  • NA105 was a midafternoon 727 to MIA
I was browsing some old TWA schedules on timetableimages.com earlier today, and was quite surprised to discover that TW had kept a few flight numbers on the same routes for a **VERY** long time ...
  • TW72 was a LAX-STL redeye as early as 1960 (using a 707; I flew it on a TriStar in 1986)
  • TW8 was the late evening arrival from LAX into Idlewild as early as 1957 (a Super-G Constellation leaving ~1030 and arriving ~2100); I flew it on both a 747 and an L-1011 in 1987, when it departed ~1630 and arrived JFK around midnight
  • TW44 was the SFO-IDL redeye that operated with a Jetstream (L-1649A) in 1959, and an L-1011 when I flew it to JFK in 1989
Old May 12, 2020, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Per jrl767: I can only think of two candidate airlines; interestingly, they would have had a common stop, and they would have probably featured the same equipment — so let’s start with the less likely one: Braniff, operating a 72S via Dallas/DFW and Houston/IAH

Per WHBM:

And the less likely of the two wins out. It was indeed Braniff. However, you'll have to clean up that routing a bit as the flight did not stop at DFW. You have however correctly identified Houston as the final stop. Tap in country?
Old May 12, 2020, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

37- a few years earlier, United had run a 747 on a LAX-ORD-PIT redeye; UA118 was actually the continuation of a flight from HNL(maybe ITO) when I took the LAX-ORD portion ... the turn would have certainly gone back to ORD, and the 1000 ORD-SEA was usually UA143, the 747 that went on to NRT (I scored a couple of ORD-SEA upgrades in the 1982-84 timeframe; I remember watching "War Games" while in an upper deck seat, one of the very few times I've ever opted for the IFE) ... how about that option?
It was neither United nor a 747 via ORD....
Old May 12, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
35. (1988) Once upon a time, there were lots of relatively short 747 flights within the continental United States. We’re talking segments under 1000 miles in length. Anyway, that was then. These days I’ve found just three segments under 1000 miles being flown by 747s in the continental U.S. For this question, we’re looking to identify just the shortest segment and the airline that flies it.
It wasn't NW on the ORD-MSP route. It was over 100 miles shorter
I'm going to take a stab at this since I think in an earlier comment that the two cities were within the same state. Trying to come up with airports that are closer than ORD-MSP within the same state and had 747 really left me with two thoughts. It would either be TW with STL-MCI or AA with DFW-IAH.
Old May 12, 2020, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lightbulb a new answer paradigm

worth a shot here ... I think 1979 is about when BN stood up their expanded services at Kansas CIty / MCI, so I'll offer their 727-227 as a "two-fer" answer
  • 37 (PIT-XXX-STL)
  • 60 (CLE-XXX-IAH-ACA)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.