Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Shared names between cars and planes...

Chevrolet Corvette --> Aerospatiale Corvette --> naval frigate also known as a Corvette

The only reason I know of the Corvette business jet is because back in the early 1970s we got a good look at one out at White Plains Airport. The real star of the show though was a BAC-111 still wearing the beautiful black and gold Mohawk livery though with a small sticker indicating it was operated by Allegheny.

Ford Bronco --> North American Rockwell OV-10 Bronco

I had to look up the Bronco airplane's manufacturer. I knew about it from reports out of the Gulf War. More on that HERE
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
And here's a hopefully interesting bit of news......The longest nonstop commercial flight to date in the world has now taken place.

The flight was recently operated by Air Tahiti Nui with a Boeing 787-9 and the aircraft flew nonstop from Papeete (PPT) to Paris (CDG). Usually this flight would stop at LAX but the coronavirus travel ban means that Air Tahiti Nui cannot stop in the U.S. for the time being. So with 150 passengers reportedly on board and favorable winds aloft, TN 064 flew nonstop from PPT to CDG in 15 hours and 45 minutes. Air Tahiti Nui has also stated they will replace the LAX stop with a stop at either Pointe-a-Pitre (PTP) in the Caribbean or Vancouver (YVR) unless the Canadian government decides not to let them make the stop at YVR.
Thanks for this tidbit, Dr. Lemon. I was curious as to the routing and so looked it up on flightradar24. Check it out via the link below:

Air Tahiti Nui TN 064 PPT-CDG Nonstop

The total distance was 9765 miles. They must've enjoyed quite the favorable winds. 15:45 is remarkably speedy for such a distance. I definitely feel for those poor souls behind the curtain and even those in Business Class. The B/E Aerospace Diamond seat which Air Tahiti Nui has selected for its 787-9 Business Class is nothing to write home about. I've logged six flights in excess of 15 hours. Thankfully all of them were in a proper First Class suite!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 20, 2020 at 2:11 pm
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I know I said I was sticking to airliners, but I'll divert for this one:

Bearcat -- Grumman F8F (WWII-vintage Navy fighter, later operated by the Blue Angels) and Stutz (1920s-1930s)
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
And here we go once again. Please limit your response to two (2) quiz items per day so that all may participate. As always, we are looking for complete answers. Thanks!

1. It's 1956 and you are in Pittsburgh (PIT). You need to travel to Miami (MIA) and have found a direct flight that makes two stops. This service is also an interchange flight operated jointly by two different air carriers. The flight operated by the first airline from PIT operates nonstop to the interchange point while the continuing flight operated by the second airline makes one intermediate stop before arriving into MIA. Identify both air carriers, the airport which is the interchange point, the intermediate stop before MIA and the equipment. The aircraft type was a Lockheed Constellation.

2. What year did Continental Airlines begin operating its Vickers Viscount 812 aircraft and how many of this type was CO operating by the following year? PARTIALLY ANSWERED - CO began operations with the Viscount in 1958. We are still looking for the total of number of Viscount aircraft operated by the airline by mid 1959 which was less than 24.

A two part question.....

3A. What U.S. air carrier was the first to order the Lockheed L-188 Electra and how many did they initially order?

3B. National Airlines operated its new Electra aircraft in two class configuration. How many seats were there in first class and how many seats were there in coach on these airplanes? There more than 28 seats in first class and less than 48 seats in coach. And in fact, initially there were more seats in F than in Y on board National's Electras.

4. In 1958, this airline was operating a daily round trip service it called "The Southernaire" from the New York City area. This flight operated nonstop to a city in the southern U.S. and then continued on to another southern U.S. city where the aircraft then remained overnight (RON). The service then departed northbound the next morning on a reverse routing back to New York. Identify the air carrier, the airport served by this flight in the New York area, the two cities it served in the south and the aircraft type.

5. What happened on October 5, 1958 at New York Idlewild Airport (IDL) that was a first time occurrence? ANSWERED

6. Also in 1958, executives with Convair informed a U.S. based air carrier that the Convair 990 would be able to operate from both Chicago Midway (MDW) and New York LaGuardia (LGA). However, the CV-990 was never flown into either airport. What airline was told that the 990 would be able to operate into MDW and LGA? ANSWERED

7. Name the airline that ran this print ad in 1959:

SOON.......___(air carrier)___ JET POWER ELECTRA. Electra flight is the ultimate in travel comfort! You'll enjoy the utmost in relaxing quiet, panoramic views, and complete freedom from vibration. Cruising at almost 7 miles a minute, ___(air carrier's)___ELECTRA takes you farther faster....and gets you there "flight fresh". The airline in question was based in the U.S.

8. It's 1961 and you are in Miami. You need to travel to New York City and have found a flight that meets your schedule. This service operates daily and makes two intermediate stops en route. Identify the air carrier, the two stops and the equipment. ANSWERED

9. Here's a true or false quiz item: United was operating Caravelle service into New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA) in 1963. ANSWERED

10. You are in New Orleans in 1966. You need to attend a business meeting in Fort Smith (FSM) and you've found a daily flight that makes one intermediate stop en route. Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

11. It's still 1966 and you are in Baltimore (BAL). It's time for a vacation and you've decided to visit with friends who live on the north shore of Oahu. So you're off to Honolulu (HNL). Interestingly, the timetable of the airline you'll be flying with out of BAL lists a connection to HNL operated by another air carrier. Your first flight is a milk run which makes five stops en route and your second flight on another airline operates nonstop to HNL. Name both air carriers, all five stops made by the first flight in the order in which they were made, the connecting city and the equipment operated by each airline on these flights.

12. What was the name given by Pan Am to its first Boeing 707-121? ANSWERED

13. Name the first airline to operate the Boeing 707 that was not based in the U.S. ANSWERED

14. In 1967, this airline was operating high frequency nonstop service to Washington National (DCA) from New York LaGuardia (LGA) with a total of fifteen flights every weekday. Twelve of these flights were operated with one specific aircraft type and the other three flights were operated with another specific aircraft type. Identify the air carrier as well as both aircraft types and the number of flights operated by each type. ANSWERED

The next four quiz items have a time line of 1968.....

15. From Philadelphia to Phoenix might just sound like a country and western song written and performed by Johnny Cash.....and it's also the two cities you need to fly between. Of course, this flight makes no less than five stops en route. Name the airline, all five stops in order and the equipment. ANSWERED

16. If you wanted to fly direct from Chicago Midway (MDW) to Baltimore (BAL) on an evening flight with only one stop en route, what airline would you call and what type of equipment would you be flying on board? And here's a hint: the aircraft in question was configured with an all coach cabin. Please be sure to include the location of the stop with your answer.

17. You need to fly from Austin (AUS) to Lubbock (LBB) for a meeting and have found a flight which makes two stops en route. Name the airline, both stops and the equipment. ANSWERED

18. From Lubbock you've driven north with a business colleague on brand new Interstate 27 to Amarillo for a follow up meeting. Now you need to fly from Amarillo (AMA) to Memphis (MEM). Ah, here's a daily milk run flight which makes four stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all four stops and the aircraft.

19. What was the total number of Convair 880 aircraft operated by Northeast Airlines in its fleet between 1960 and 1968? ANSWERED

20. Now it's 1969 and you are in Long Beach where you have not only visited a classic ocean liner that is permanently docked but also a very large seaplane on static display. You receive a message from friends who are in the Lake Tahoe area on a skiing trip: "Come on up! Conditions are excellent!" Well, why not....and you find there's a direct flight from Long Beach (LGB) to Lake Tahoe (TVL) which makes three stops en route but only operates once a week arriving into TVL just before lunch time which fits your schedule perfectly. And most fortunately, the day you need to travel is the day this flight operates. Name the airline, all three stops and the equipment.

21. How many new Vanguard aircraft were produced by Vickers? ANSWERED

22. What significant service change did LAN-Chile introduce in 1970 with regard to one of its international flights?

23. It's 1970 and you are back in New Orleans. Now you are heading down to Panama and have found a flight which operates twice a week and makes three stops en route. Identify the air carrier, all three stops and the aircraft. Pan Am with a 727. The first stop was Merida and the third stop was Managua. Still looking for the second stop which wasn't Guatemala City.

24. Now it's 1971 and you are in Nashville. You're off to Minneapolis/St. Paul on board a flight which will make two stops en route and operates six days a week. Name the airline, both stops and the equipment.

25. You are in Sydney and it's 1972. You are booked in first class on a flight to London which will make six stops en route and also has an interesting flight number change from flight 785 to flight 785A at one of the stops. This particular flight operates this specific routing only once a week on Fridays. Identify the air carrier, all six stops in order and the aircraft.

That should get us started with more to come. And I truly hope all of you are well!

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 4, 2020 at 10:50 am Reason: last minute fine tuning & answer updates
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

I had to look up the Bronco airplane's manufacturer. I knew about it from reports out of the Gulf War. More on that HERE
And the OV-10 Bronco remains in operation in California. The type is flown by CalFire (formerly known as the California Dept. of Forestry & Fire Protection) as a spotter and lead aircraft during aerial air tanker operations.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Chevrolet Corvette --> Aerospatiale Corvette --> naval frigate also known as a Corvette

The only reason I know of the Corvette business jet is because back in the early 1970s we got a good look at one out at White Plains Airport. The real star of the show though was a BAC-111 still wearing the beautiful black and gold Mohawk livery though with a small sticker indicating it was operated by Allegheny.

Thanks for that. The Bronco wasn't on my list but now you mention it, I remember seeing them on the road in the U.S.

The Aerospatiale Corvette was also used as a mini airliner, seating up to 14 passengers.
They flew in the colours of Air Alsace, Sterling Airways, Air Alpes, Air France and TAT.
I well remember seeing the Air Alsace Corvettes at Gatwick in the late 1970s on their weekday service to Colmar and Nancy.
There's a picture taken at Gatwick here of one parked at the general aviation terminal:

Seat 2A and jlemon like this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
8. It's 1961 and you are in Miami. You need to travel to New York City and have found a flight that meets your schedule. This service operates daily and makes two intermediate stops en route. Identify the air carrier, the two stops and the equipment.
8- let's start with Eastern, operating a DC-7 to Idlewild (IDL) via Tampa (TPA) and Washington National (DCA)

9. Here's a true or false quiz item: United was operating Caravelle service into New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA) in 1963.
9- false; LGA didn't see any jet service at all until 1964
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KT550
The Aerospatiale Corvette was also used as a mini airliner, seating up to 14 passengers. ...
There's a picture taken at Gatwick here of one parked at the general aviation terminal

at a quick glance I would have mistaken that for a Falcon, especially with the cruciform tail

Last edited by jrl767; Mar 20, 2020 at 3:16 pm
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

My local rotting Renault Caravelle
jlemon and KT550 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
8- let's start with Eastern, operating a DC-7 to Idlewild (IDL) via Tampa (TPA) and Washington National (DCA)

9- false; LGA didn't see any jet service at all until 1964
8. You've correctly guessed the first stop: Tampa (TPA). However, the second stop wasn't Washington National (DCA) nor was the air carrier in question Eastern. And the equipment wasn't a DC-7. Please guess again!

9. Correct! And what I found interesting was the fact that in the summer of 1963 United wasn't operating any scheduled service from New York LaGuardia as UA was only serving Idlewild and Newark in the New York City area at this time.

Caravelle flights were solely operated from EWR with up to sixteen departures a day either nonstop or direct to CLE, DTW, PIT, ORD, MKE, MSP, PHL, IAD, ATL, BHM, MOB and MSY. This included the "Men Only" Caravelle nonstop service to Chicago O'Hare. UA was also serving Newark with Boeing 720, Douglas DC-6B and Vickers Viscount aircraft at this same time but wasn't operating the Douglas DC-8 from EWR. And over at Idlewild, United was operating the B720, DC-6B and DC-8 (but not the Viscount).

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 20, 2020 at 4:10 pm Reason: added MSY to list of CVL destinations served from EWR & reference to "Men Only" CVL service to ORD
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8- well then! National with an Electra, second stop Jacksonville (JAX)
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
8- well then! National with an Electra, second stop Jacksonville (JAX)
8. Yep, the second stop was Jacksonville (JAX). However, the airline wasn't National and the aircraft wasn't an Electra.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8- one more go at this ... Capital Viscount
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA
5. What happened on October 5, 1958 at New York Idlewild Airport (IDL) that was a first time occurrence?
First jet airline service to depart the USA.

Bonus : It wasn't Pan Am and it wasn't a 707. So what was it ?
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
First jet airline service to depart the USA.
Originally Posted by WHBM

Bonus : It wasn't Pan Am and it wasn't a 707. So what was it ?

​​​​​​​BOAC Comet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.