Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Sounds like it's time for a road trip!

I thought I was the only one who would do this!
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
wow ... I remember doing something similar as a lad of single-digit years, most likely on the AAA maps we had used during the drives, but I sure don't think it was all in one place (and I **really** doubt I could regenerate anything that's close to accurate now )
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Sounds like it's time for a road trip!
Actually, I do have a road trip planned for late April that will involve air travel as well. I volunteered awhile back to help some very dear friends move from Shell Beach, CA to Asheville, NC. I would first fly into San Luis Obispo via a connection at DFW and then assist them with the drive from the coast over to Bakersfield and then to Barstow where Interstate 40 has its western terminus. We would then take I-40 all the way to Asheville via Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Amarillo, Oklahoma City, Fort Smith, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville and Knoxville. Then back on the plane at AVL to LFT via a DFW connection.

I actually bought first class tickets for the air portion of this journey and got a rather good deal on American. However, with the current ongoing health crisis, I will not be surprised if this trip gets delayed a bit.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
I thought I was the only one who would do this!
It seemed only natural. This was everywhere I drove only in my old 1988 Mazda B2200 pick-up. The photo of this map is from 1999 and does not include a road trip I did to drive through the 27 western counties I'd not yet driven through. Having completed my drive through all of those counties, you'd see a lot more activity in northeastern Montana, southeastern New Mexico and west Texas.

If I were to create a map of all the roads I've driven regardless of vehicle, there'd be a lot more activity in middle America, particularly northern Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan as well as Appalachia. Those of us who live here are blessed to have such a great continent to explore by road or rail.
strickerj and rustykettel like this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Well gang, I've got just one last question left to which no one has chosen to answer. Here it is:

40 . (1959) From San Diego you’ll continue on to Dallas, Texas. There’s a well-timed departure out of Lindbergh every Friday evening offering something called Royal Cavalier Service. Hmm. Sounds nice. Let’s book it. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.
This flight was operated by a supplemental carrier

Let's clear this one off the board now. The answer is...

United States Overseas Airlines US 500 San Diego (SAN) 1100p-700a (DAL) DC-6 Friday only

For more information on America's supplemental airlines, see the link provided below. As you scroll down toward the bottom of the article, you'll see a description of United States Overseas Airlines and its history.

The Story of America's Supplemental Airlines

In these challenging times we now live in, it's nice to be able to provide a bit of good news. To wit, jlemon is ready and waiting to submit a thrilling new batch of queries formulated as only he can. Watch for those

Additionally, there are still a few of YVR Cockroach's excellent set regarding bird and/or animal liveried airliners. I am going to leave the disposition of those in his hands but you can find what's left of them in Post 18019.

Finally, I hope this post finds you all well and healthy. For some of us this pandemic has left us with an inordinate amount of free time, practicing social distancing if not outright isolation at our homes. What better way to pass some of that time than to participate in the OTAQ&D? Please keep in mind that participation is not limited to merely answering questions. Should you desire to try your hand at posing a few, we welcome your efforts. I get the sense some of you might be uncertain as to when's the best time to submit a set of questions. I would say simply announce the fact that you have a new set and - speaking for myself and I suspect jlemon as well - we'll be happy to have you post yours at the conclusion of whatever set is currently in play.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 18, 2020 at 1:28 pm
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:18 pm

Cars and planes

As we've reached a slow down; here's a little quiz to keep you thinking.

Over the years, car and plane manufacturers have used common names for their respective models.
e.g. Chevrolet Greyhound and Cessna Greyhound.

I got to about 50 using U.K., European and U.S. car manufacturers.
General aviation aircraft and airliners are included in the aviation section.

How many can you find?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

In these challenging times we now live in, it's nice to be able to provide a bit of good news. To wit, jlemon is ready and waiting to submit a thrilling new batch of queries formulated as only he can. Watch for those

Additionally, there are still a few of YVR Cockroach's excellent set regarding bird and/or animal liveried airliners. I am going to leave the disposition of those in his hands but you can find what's left of them in Post 18019.

Finally, I hope this post finds you all well and healthy. For some of us this pandemic has left us with an inordinate amount of free time, practicing social distancing if not outright isolation at our homes. What better way to pass some of that time than to participate in the OTAQ&D? Please keep in mind that participation is not limited to merely answering questions. Should you desire to try your hand at posing a few, we welcome your efforts. I get the sense some of you might be uncertain as to when's the best time to submit a set of questions. I would say simply announce the fact that you have a new set and - speaking for myself and I suspect jlemon as well - we'll be happy to have you post yours at the conclusion of whatever set is currently in play.
Thanks Seat 2A! And thanks to YVR Cockroach for his recent set as well as KT550 for his submission above.

I do have a new set almost ready to go and shall be submitting these quiz items in the very near future. Meantime, I hope everyone is well and hanging in there. Here in Louisiana, coronavirus cases are continuing to increase, especially in the New Orleans area. Lady K and I are now hunkered down in our home and will attempt to limit our local travel here in the LFT area to the bare minimum necessary. We now have enough food and supplies on hand to last for at least several weeks. So let's hope the outbreak begins to decrease soon all around the world and that the stringent measures currently being undertaken on a global basis are effective in the near term.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by KT550
As we've reached a slow down; here's a little quiz to keep you thinking.

Over the years, car and plane manufacturers have used common names for their respective models.
e.g. Chevrolet Greyhound and Cessna Greyhound.

I got to about 50 using U.K., European and U.S. car manufacturers.
General aviation aircraft and airliners are included in the aviation section.

How many can you find?
disregarding the classic patrol/fighter aircraft (North American P-51 / F-51 "Mustang") and the eponymous Ford car, one that comes to mind immediately is "Catalina" -- Consolidated Vultee PBY-5 (which was actually used in some airline services for awhile after WW II) and Pontiac

if you add aircraft engines to the mix, there's the "Dart" (Rolls-Royce and Dodge)
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
disregarding the classic patrol/fighter aircraft (North American P-51 / F-51 "Mustang") and the eponymous Ford car, one that comes to mind immediately is "Catalina" -- Consolidated Vultee PBY-5 (which was actually used in some airline services for awhile after WW II) and Pontiac

if you add aircraft engines to the mix, there's the "Dart" (Rolls-Royce and Dodge)
Thanks. I didn't have the Pontiac Catalina.
I've made a note of the Dodge Dart too.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Greyhound" is also the Navy nickname for the Grumman C-2 COD (Carrier Onboard Delivery) aircraft
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Falcon Ford and Dassault

Hornet AMC and deHavilland, McDonnell-Douglas
KT550 likes this.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Mar 18, 2020 at 8:07 pm
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Logo Questions (with some hints)

2 name of the stylized raptor was part of the airline's name

Hint operated a prop plane with surprisingly-long range - answer in the past month

7. stork

hint national carrier of one of the world's poorest countries
Spoiler

14. At least one airline of this country uses a mythological bird. Give the western and anglicized name of the bird too.

Hint where the airline-killing crisis is said to originate from

15. Two airlines use mythological birds. Name the birds and respective airlines (both bird names end with "a")

Hint National carriers of two countries both beginning with "I"

Other (winged) non-bird animals

18. Tiger (name two if not three airlines - all have a common lineage)
(partially answered - this one is for real old timers)

Hint: Predecessors of the airline that once claimed to hae no planes over 10 years old/youngest fleet, etc.

20. These two airlines (of the same country) featured a man with a raptor head dress
Partially answered (AeroMexico) Might be one airline. Didn't have my glasses on

Bonus Questions

2. re: Question 18 above. One airline that is descended from two of the airlines and is parent to the other. It does not use a tiger but has a stylized and unnamed(?) bird. Name this airline

Hint in Qn 18:
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:06 am

All right. Let's guess on a few more of these

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach

7. stork
hint national carrier of one of the world's poorest countries

Bonus Questions
2. re: Question 18 above. One airline that is descended from two of the airlines and is parent to the other. It does not use a tiger but has a stylized and unnamed(?) bird. Name this airline
For the stork, the clue leads me to think that maybe that bird on the tail of Biman Bangladesh Airlines is a stork.

For the bonus question, I though a while ago that it's probably Singapore, but held off because I figured someone would guess that along with the question it's referring to, but I have no idea about that one.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: BA
. Tiger (name two if not three airlines - all have a common lineage)
(partially answered - this one is for real old timers)

Hint: Predecessors of the airline that once claimed to hae no planes over 10 years old/youngest fleet, etc
I'll go for Malayan Airlines, the predecessor to both Singapore and Malaysian Airlines. Political history in the area is a bit complex, their HQ was Singapore but most of the local services were in what became Malaysia. The DC3s used to have a hand-painted tiger behind the flight deck on each side, the painter used to put individual differentiations to the tiger's whiskers on each aircraft so those in the know could recognise them from the front without looking at the registration.

There was a non-contributing reader here who sent me a few PM's in the early days of this thread when these aircraft got mentioned, who now retired had been a DC3 pilot on them in the 1950s-60s and relayed the tiger story.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dfw88
All right. Let's guess on a few more of these

For the stork, the clue leads me to think that maybe that bird on the tail of Biman Bangladesh Airlines is a stork.

For the bonus question, I though a while ago that it's probably Singapore, but held off because I figured someone would guess that along with the question it's referring to, but I have no idea about that one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.