Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jul 6, 2020, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
7. The meeting in Los Angeles on a Friday morning in 1980 has gone extremely well and you have now been awarded a new consulting contract. And then you hear this in the client's boardroom: "We want you to journey to the project site in Jujuy as soon as reasonably possible." Ah.....what? Where? "Jujuy. It's in South America. We're sure you'll be able find it and get there straight away. Good luck and congratulations!" Sure enough you find Jujuy and quickly ascertain that two different airlines and a connection will be required to get there. Your first flight only operates on Saturdays nonstop to your connecting city where you will have two hours and 15 minutes to connect. Your second flight also operates only on Saturdays and makes one stop en route. Name both air carriers and the different equipment they respectively operate on each flight, the connecting airport and the en route stop made by the second flight. The first flight was not operated by JAL, the aircraft type wasn't a 747 and the connection was not made at GRU.The second flight was operated by Aerolineas Argentinas with a 707....but the stop was not made at EZE.
7- the fact that both flights only operate on Saturday leads me to think the departure from LAX is shortly after midnight ... from locating Jujuy on a map, I can think of a couple of possibilities for the connecting city and the enroute stop, but the AR 707 on the second leg seems rather too large for a routing that would then logically continue to EZE

half the entertainment value of this Quiz is in the wild guessing, so I'll offer that the trip begins with a Braniff DC-8-62 to Lima (LIM), and the AR 707 stops at La Paz (LPB)
Old Jul 6, 2020, 12:11 pm

9. If you wanted to fly on board a Boeing 747 to Paris Charles de Gaulle from London Heathrow at this time in 1980, you could do so but only once a week. Name the air carrier. It wasn't Avianca, Air France, El Al or Singapore
I know Kuwait Airways used to do multi-stop flights into Europe, so I'll try KU with one of their 747-200s
Old Jul 6, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
7- the fact that both flights only operate on Saturday leads me to think the departure from LAX is shortly after midnight ... from locating Jujuy on a map, I can think of a couple of possibilities for the connecting city and the enroute stop, but the AR 707 on the second leg seems rather too large for a routing that would then logically continue to EZE

half the entertainment value of this Quiz is in the wild guessing, so I'll offer that the trip begins with a Braniff DC-8-62 to Lima (LIM), and the AR 707 stops at La Paz (LPB)
7. Yet another great guess....and the first flight was indeed a red-eye departing just after midnight from LAX.

However, the airline in question wasn't Braniff International, the equipment wasn't a Super DC-8-62 and the connecting city wasn't Lima. Plus the flight operated by Aerolineas Argentinas with a 707 did not stop at La Paz....but it did continue on to Buenos Aires following the stop at Jujuy.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
I know Kuwait Airways used to do multi-stop flights into Europe, so I'll try KU with one of their 747-200s
9. Yes sir, they certainly did....however, the air carrier in question wasn't Kuwait Airways. Please guess again!
Old Jul 6, 2020, 12:26 pm

9. Yes sir, they certainly did....however, the air carrier in question wasn't Kuwait Airways. Please guess again!
Running short of ideas now......

Aerolineas Argentinas EZE-MAD-CDG-LHR
Old Jul 6, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA
If you wanted to fly on board a Boeing 747 to Paris Charles de Gaulle from London Heathrow at this time in 1980, you could do so but only once a week. Name the air carrier.
What about Japan Air Lines routing Tokyo-Anchorage-London-Paris ? They used to do other European double-drops as well.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KT550
Running short of ideas now......

Aerolineas Argentinas EZE-MAD-CDG-LHR
9. Ah, nope!
Old Jul 6, 2020, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
What about Japan Air Lines routing Tokyo-Anchorage-London-Paris ? They used to do other European double-drops as well.

9. Correct! Here's the sched from London to Paris.....

JL 423: London Heathrow (LHR) 6:30a - 8:40a Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG)
Freq: Wednesdays only
Service classes: F/Y
Equip: 747

This flight indeed originated in Tokyo and then made a stop in Anchorage prior to arriving into LHR.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
7- how about Avianca with a 707 to Bogota/BOG, and the AR 707 stopping at Santiago/SCL
Old Jul 6, 2020, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
7- how about Avianca with a 707 to Bogota/BOG, and the AR 707 stopping at Santiago/SCL
7. Nope on all counts!
Old Jul 6, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA

9. Correct! Here's the sched from London to Paris.....

JL 423: London Heathrow (LHR) 6:30a - 8:40a Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG)
Freq: Wednesdays only
Service classes: F/Y
Equip: 747

This flight indeed originated in Tokyo and then made a stop in Anchorage prior to arriving into LHR.
Goodness, I was actually meaning to go for Kuwait Airways first, but was beaten to it !

I don't recall if there were formal "slots" at Heathrow in 1980, but it was certainly pretty maxed out even then, so using up two on an intermediate stop to Paris was maybe a legacy of sorts. This was the time when there were still a range of 5th freedom flights from London to New York, with various carriers from Asia stopping off, Kuwait again, Air India, El Al etc. All good mainstream operators who had signed up to IATA standardised fares, and then got quietly involved with various back-street/grey market organisations to sell London to New York tickets at a discount. They were hit pretty hard by Laker's Skytrain, at its height then. All these operations were lost when slots became too valuable to use in this way.

Japan Air Lines had at one stage four ways to go from London. The traditional way stopping through India and the Far East, the Anchorage route, the most recent way, through Moscow, and through New York and San Francisco. This last didn't run for long after the Moscow route opened around 1971, but for a short while JAL did four different ways, with various odd-day tag flights within Europe. Do I recall that another of the Anchorage flights went via Hamburg ?

Last edited by WHBM; Jul 6, 2020 at 2:33 pm
Old Jul 6, 2020, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM

Japan Air Lines had at one stage four ways to go from London. The traditional way stopping through India and the Far East, the Anchorage route, the most recent way, through Moscow, and through New York and San Francisco. This last didn't run for long after the Moscow route opened around 1971, but for a short while JAL did four different ways, with various odd-day tag flights within Europe. Do I recall that another of the Anchorage flights went via Hamburg ?
Yes, it appears JAL did so heading over the pole to Japan with a routing of Frankfurt - Hamburg - Anchorage - Tokyo flown twice a week. And another JAL service, also operating twice a week, was flying a routing of Paris - Amsterdam - Anchorage - Tokyo at this same time in 1980. In addition, JAL was operating Zurich - Copenhagen - Anchorage - Tokyo as well as Frankfurt - Copenhagen - Anchorage - Tokyo at this time with both of these services operating once a week. All of these flights were operated with the 747, of course.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 6, 2020 at 3:14 pm Reason: additional JAL polar routings
Old Jul 6, 2020, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
7. The meeting in Los Angeles on a Friday morning in 1980 has gone extremely well and you have now been awarded a new consulting contract. And then you hear this in the client's boardroom: "We want you to journey to the project site in Jujuy as soon as reasonably possible." Ah.....what? Where? "Jujuy. It's in South America. We're sure you'll be able find it and get there straight away. Good luck and congratulations!" Sure enough you find Jujuy and quickly ascertain that two different airlines and a connection will be required to get there. Your first flight only operates on Saturdays nonstop to your connecting city where you will have two hours and 15 minutes to connect. Your second flight also operates only on Saturdays and makes one stop en route. Name both air carriers and the different equipment they respectively operate on each flight, the connecting airport and the en route stop made by the second flight. The first flight was not operated by JAL, the aircraft type wasn't a 747 and the connection was not made at GRU.The second flight was operated by Aerolineas Argentinas with a 707....but the stop was not made at EZE.

I've spent some time up in Jujuy. It's the kind of place you've got to want to get to. I was there back in 2005/7 and 25 years earlier I should imagine Jujuy felt even more remote. That said, I'm also surprised that it warranted service with a 707 and that said service didn't involve EZE. The Newbery airport likely wouldn't have had the runway length for a 707 so I'm a bit lost on the origin of that AR flight. Maybe the 707 continued on to EZE. Jujuy doesn't seem like it has the size to warrant international service except for something regional out of say, Bolivia. Out of LA I remember Varig used to run a flight from Tokyo to LA and on to either Rio or Sao Paulo with a stop or two along the way. Korean Air also ran a nonstop into GRU for awhile though I don't know the timeline. GRU's out anyway. So, total shot in the dark here - let's go Varig with a DC-10 from LAX to Lima connecting to Aerolineas' 707 routing Lima to La Paz to Jujuy. Cross my fingers...
Old Jul 6, 2020, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

I've spent some time up in Jujuy. It's the kind of place you've got to want to get to. I was there back in 2005/7 and 25 years earlier I should imagine Jujuy felt even more remote. That said, I'm also surprised that it warranted service with a 707 and that said service didn't involve EZE. The Newbery airport likely wouldn't have had the runway length for a 707 so I'm a bit lost on the origin of that AR flight. Maybe the 707 continued on to EZE. Jujuy doesn't seem like it has the size to warrant international service except for something regional out of say, Bolivia. Out of LA I remember Varig used to run a flight from Tokyo to LA and on to either Rio or Sao Paulo with a stop or two along the way. Korean Air also ran a nonstop into GRU for awhile though I don't know the timeline. GRU's out anyway. So, total shot in the dark here - let's go Varig with a DC-10 from LAX to Lima connecting to Aerolineas' 707 routing Lima to La Paz to Jujuy. Cross my fingers...
Note that I updated where we are with this quiz item in post # 19545. You'll see that La Paz wasn't the intermediate stop made by the second flight, the connecting city wasn't Lima and that the Boeing 707 service operated by Aerolineas Argentinas indeed continued on from Jujuy to Buenos Aires. And this flight did arrive into EZE from Jujuy and thus not AEP.

As for Varig operating a DC-10 nonstop from LAX to Lima.....well, the DC-10 is correct concerning the equipment operated on the flight from LAX; however, it wasn't Varig and the connection wasn't made at Lima. Please guess again, sir!

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 6, 2020 at 5:09 pm Reason: clarification concerning equipment operated on the first flight
Old Jul 6, 2020, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7- another one for the wild guess file here ... I guessed BOG and LIM (both erroneously) as the connecting point, but neither was explicitly ruled out as the intermediate stop ... Western D10 operating LAX-Mexico City (MEX), followed by the AR 707 to Jujuy via BOG

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.