Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

MilesBuzz: Canada

MilesBuzz: Canada

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 30, 19, 4:27 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jerry305
Wiki Link
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 4, 14, 8:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by jerryhung View Post
CIBC's $400 offer

Get $400 cash
With a CIBC Tim Hortons® Double Double™ Visa* Card
and bank account.

Chequing Account Cash Offer from CIBC
https://www.cibc.com/ca/features/tim...SPOT-Bean400-E
if i understand correctly, that would be 2 hits (visa + bank account) and would have to move a preauth billpay to the CIBC account temporarily?

seems like none of the 3 accounts you can open have a monthly fee waiver either
Old Jul 4, 14, 10:33 am

Programs: Avios, AMEX, AeroPlan, BMO, AS, WestJet
Originally Posted by sunnyzip View Post
The 30000 points offer on the website is NOT FYF...but better coz you get $150 worth extra points, but pay $99 annual fees.

The other offer 15k points PLUS $300 pre approved was a targeted pre-approved offer (i got it myself...)......but the link above is a public offer for anyone who didnt get the pre approved targeted offer. Just think its better than the current one on the WIKI...
such a shame, i really want to get that preapproved offer, and i read the entire rfd thread last night, basically its not even a preapproved offer, just an offer if you have a scotia account, whether it be chequing, savings, and requires nothing special. if you didnt get this "standard" offer, you can just ask for it and get it. however that thread hasnt updated and im not sure if its still relatively active

now does opening a savings acc with scotia cause a credit check, or is there any other means because $450 especially when its a post charge card makes it worth 5x worth to me (since miles can be credited for airline ticket + you can find cheapest ticket and just charge it)
Old Jul 4, 14, 4:51 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Cerenity View Post
if i understand correctly, that would be 2 hits (visa + bank account) and would have to move a preauth billpay to the CIBC account temporarily?

seems like none of the 3 accounts you can open have a monthly fee waiver either
There shouldn't be a credit check on the CIBC bank account. Just make sure you actually read the documents before you sign them. I recall when I opened an account a couple years ago there was a place to initial in the middle of the legalese on a different page if you didn't want to do a credit check.
Old Jul 4, 14, 10:40 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Alitalia Gold, AB Gold, MPC, SPG Gold, IHG, Marriott Silvr, BW Plat, AA, BA, JP
Originally Posted by microcosm View Post
such a shame, i really want to get that preapproved offer, and i read the entire rfd thread last night, basically its not even a preapproved offer, just an offer if you have a scotia account, whether it be chequing, savings, and requires nothing special. if you didnt get this "standard" offer, you can just ask for it and get it. however that thread hasnt updated and im not sure if its still relatively active

now does opening a savings acc with scotia cause a credit check, or is there any other means because $450 especially when its a post charge card makes it worth 5x worth to me (since miles can be credited for airline ticket + you can find cheapest ticket and just charge it)
Credit check is not mandatory for opening any chequing or savings accounts, its just to get overdraft added etc. You wont need that on Savings account, just make sure you tell them not to pull your bureau.
However, opening a savings account may or may not be helpful for getting the pre approval offer. I dont have any accounts, NO banking connection with scotia, still got the offer just because I have the Scene card (just the points card, not credit or debit).....!! I like the card because it gives you 4% on Gas/Grocery etc, and much easier to redeem your points.
Old Jul 5, 14, 1:24 pm

Credit check is not mandatory for opening any chequing or savings accounts, its just to get overdraft added etc. You wont need that on Savings account, just make sure you tell them not to pull your bureau.
However, opening a savings account may or may not be helpful for getting the pre approval offer. I dont have any accounts, NO banking connection with scotia, still got the offer just because I have the Scene card (just the points card, not credit or debit).....!! I like the card because it gives you 4% on Gas/Grocery etc, and much easier to redeem your points.
yea they dont care as long as your connected to scotia somehow which i guess scene does it. now as for no credit hits on cheq/savings, ive always gotten hard hits but are you guys sure that theyre not meant to be? because i see tons of really good offers if you open x chequing or savings account, but i presumed it was going to be a hard hit...

lastly if its the case, have u been successful in not getting hard hit on report by just verbally telling them or do you read like the above poster said, the entire document to see where you have to check off so they dont do the hard hit?
Old Jul 5, 14, 1:28 pm

also anyone have any idea when western might give out their 50k offer, usually with 1-2k spend?

i checked google and last couple years its been basically july-aug, sometime extending it into sept..... i really want to travel more for vacations but whilst points may cover airfare, the hotel cost or just finding accomodation is so expensive, adds up to the airfare cost within a week.. and unfortunately we dont have any hotel cards in canada, except marriott which i got denied for

(trying to reapply, because i realized they denied me righteously, as when i recently checked equifax, i had 3 inquires in past 30 days, i thought it was only 1, e.g. some banks decided to pull both this time and i was unaware)
Old Jul 5, 14, 3:01 pm

also anyone have any idea when western might give out their 50k offer, usually with 1-2k spend?

i checked google and last couple years its been basically july-aug, sometime extending it into sept..... i really want to travel more for vacations but whilst points may cover airfare, the hotel cost or just finding accomodation is so expensive, adds up to the airfare cost within a week.. and unfortunately we dont have any hotel cards in canada, except marriott which i got denied for

(trying to reapply, because i realized they denied me righteously, as when i recently checked equifax, i had 3 inquires in past 30 days, i thought it was only 1, e.g. some banks decided to pull both this time and i was unaware)
Don't forget Amex SPG as another Canadian hotel CC although you may want to wait for a more lucrative bonus.
Old Jul 5, 14, 5:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Aeroplan, Best Western, IHG Rewards, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Originally Posted by prmetime View Post
Don't forget Amex SPG as another Canadian hotel CC although you may want to wait for a more lucrative bonus.
Or at the very least for the first year annual fee to be waived.
Old Jul 5, 14, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by pointshogger View Post
Or at the very least for the first year annual fee to be waived.
Agreed. I know I am
Old Jul 5, 14, 11:53 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Alitalia Gold, AB Gold, MPC, SPG Gold, IHG, Marriott Silvr, BW Plat, AA, BA, JP
yea they dont care as long as your connected to scotia somehow which i guess scene does it. now as for no credit hits on cheq/savings, ive always gotten hard hits but are you guys sure that theyre not meant to be? because i see tons of really good offers if you open x chequing or savings account, but i presumed it was going to be a hard hit...

lastly if its the case, have u been successful in not getting hard hit on report by just verbally telling them or do you read like the above poster said, the entire document to see where you have to check off so they dont do the hard hit?
ya, I can confirm you can refuse for a credit check, you will have to tell them UPFRONT, and the account could be restricted (like no overdraft/ no cheques etc), or may be some will allow only Savings accounts, but if it serves your purpose then its gud....!! Just make sure to tell that UPFRONT, coz once its done... its done...and it wont matter how closely you look at the paperwork you are signing.
Old Jul 6, 14, 9:25 pm

Unfortunately as usual you can't have an acc with them to start. Bleh.
Old Jul 7, 14, 8:34 pm

ya, I can confirm you can refuse for a credit check, you will have to tell them UPFRONT, and the account could be restricted (like no overdraft/ no cheques etc), or may be some will allow only Savings accounts, but if it serves your purpose then its gud....!! Just make sure to tell that UPFRONT, coz once its done... its done...and it wont matter how closely you look at the paperwork you are signing.
are you sure about this, because in past ive always said ive wanted to open x chequing or something, will it take credit hit, they said yes. the problem i have is so many [xxx] financial institutions have no respect, and blatantly lie. authorization means absolutely nothing, ive told them THEY DO NOT HAVE MY [xxxx] authorization, nope the [xxx] still go through with it with a hard inquiry.

anyways, i can see savings account being opened without hard check, but you've been successful with chequing acc's without credit checks, if so which banks?

Last edited by philemer; Jul 7, 14 at 11:06 pm Reason: deleted profanity
Old Jul 8, 14, 12:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
On the topic of CIBC, I just noticed another higher end Aeroplan card:
https://www.cibc.com/ca/visa/aerogol...itePrivilege-E

Can anyone comment if this is worth keeping versus churning? Seems to have some of the same benefits as an AMEX Plat Aeroplan card. Is the $399 fee justified?
Old Jul 9, 14, 1:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
Originally Posted by injian View Post
On the topic of CIBC, I just noticed another higher end Aeroplan card:
https://www.cibc.com/ca/visa/aerogol...itePrivilege-E

Can anyone comment if this is worth keeping versus churning? Seems to have some of the same benefits as an AMEX Plat Aeroplan card. Is the $399 fee justified?
I would say no, the Amex Plat Aeroplan at least has 51k signup bonus.
Old Jul 9, 14, 1:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Aeroplan, Best Western, IHG Rewards, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Originally Posted by ibopm View Post
I would say no, the Amex Plat Aeroplan at least has 51k signup bonus.
Agreed. I would wait for a higher than normal sign up bonus from CIBC before considering it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: