MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Didn't know they offer Gift Cards
I'll cash out for $100 Gas gift card then, thanks!

Wasted 1 credit check for $100 GC, boo, at least it's Free.
I just did a product switch from the Aventura Infinite to the AeroGold Infinite. I'm not really clear on whether or not I'll get the 15k AP bonus, but either way, at least my credit check wasn't for nothing!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by zer0k1
I just did a product switch from the Aventura Infinite to the AeroGold Infinite. I'm not really clear on whether or not I'll get the 15k AP bonus, but either way, at least my credit check wasn't for nothing!
Were you paying or did you pay AF for Aventura?

I may do that too, but I wonder how annual fee gets calculated, since AeroGold isn't FYF publicly and I didn't pay AF on Aventura either (due to YYZ signup)
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:08 pm

Were you paying or did you pay AF for Aventura?

I may do that too, but I wonder how annual fee gets calculated, since AeroGold isn't FYF publicly and I didn't pay AF on Aventura either (due to YYZ signup)
I did pay it (already on my 2nd year). The told me that the AF will be prorated and appear on my new AP card. So it sounds like first the AF will post, then a prorated credit from my AV AF will offset it. So in your case it seems that you probably won't be able to carry over the FYF but 15k is still worth paying $120 for...barely though. I did it because I will be doing some heavy spend and would much prefer AP over AV.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:39 pm

Thanks! glad I saw this tonight, also apply tonight and got approved, their website said 3 month rule although I just applied last month for TD Credit card and got denied

Exactly why I applied tonight and got approved
Got to get it in before it's gone, buying 60K for $120
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Exactly why I applied tonight and got approved
Got to get it in before it's gone, buying 60K for $120
Originally Posted by ecgz88
Thanks! glad I saw this tonight, also apply tonight and got approved, their website said 3 month rule although I just applied last month for TD Credit card and got denied
Thanks. Got this tonight as well. And the 3 month rule definitely doesn't apply as I got an RBC Visa just last month and was instantly approved for this. So if in doubt, give it a shot.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
sorry i cant recall at the moment. does anyone know if C1 is anal about waiting 6 months before re-app for the same card?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:59 pm

Jumped on thd IHG cap ome bandwagon as well, just in case they do cancel it! But I would understand them on focusing on the Costco deal, it must be costing them quite a lot.

What I hope though, is that other cards will appear im the coming years with the partners that cap one has cancelled such as delta or ihg (if rumor) proves true, could be good for a bank like scotia or bmo to beef up their cc portfolio with partners rewards card
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by WestAust
Jumped on thd IHG cap ome bandwagon as well, just in case they do cancel it! But I would understand them on focusing on the Costco deal, it must be costing them quite a lot.

What I hope though, is that other cards will appear im the coming years with the partners that cap one has cancelled such as delta or ihg (if rumor) proves true, could be good for a bank like scotia or bmo to beef up their cc portfolio with partners rewards card
Question...what happens to existing IHG cards if they do end up pulling them? I imagine at some point they send you a replacement card.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:26 am

Hello, i'm looking for some advice on how best to maximize pts/miles on future on going work travel. I just moved into a position that would have me traveling for 4 days once a month to the maritime provinces. I'm currently an aeroplan, spg, marriot, national/enterprise member. I hold the amex gold, amex spg, marriott and td aeroplan card.

My company uses a travel booking service but i'm able to add all my frequent travel #'s and will benefit from pts/miles.

They use strictly air canada for flights, no pref for hotels and enterprise/national for cars.

I currently have my TD aeroplan setup to buy my flights and my marriot card setup to purchase the hotel nights. I will do my best to use marriot hotels when possible.

Any further advice on how to maximize this opportunity? I'm also not opposed to joining more loyalty programs if needed.

Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by rsoares28
Hello, i'm looking for some advice on how best to maximize pts/miles on future on going work travel. I just moved into a position that would have me traveling for 4 days once a month to the maritime provinces. I'm currently an aeroplan, spg, marriot, national/enterprise member. I hold the amex gold, amex spg, marriott and td aeroplan card.

My company uses a travel booking service but i'm able to add all my frequent travel #'s and will benefit from pts/miles.

They use strictly air canada for flights, no pref for hotels and enterprise/national for cars.

I currently have my TD aeroplan setup to buy my flights and my marriot card setup to purchase the hotel nights. I will do my best to use marriot hotels when possible.

Any further advice on how to maximize this opportunity? I'm also not opposed to joining more loyalty programs if needed.

Thanks for the help!
Wouldnt you get more with an Amex Gold? 2X for travel vs. 1.5....
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:33 am

Thanks for the help!
If they book FOR you = you don't use your own CC at all?
Does it even matter which card then?

Just provide all the FFP # you can - Aeroplan, SPG, Marriott, etc...
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:47 am

Sorry for not being clear... They use a corporate travel booking service but I use my own credit cards and can add all my frequent traveler numbers.

In regards to the Amex gold vs the TD aeroplan I assumed using the aero card to book AC flights would net me bonuses. I will look into it more but if Amex is the better option I'll switch out the card.

The first trip I booked with my boss and he's a Hilton guy so we're staying at the Hampton inn but future trips I'll stay at the Marriott as my wife and I booked Atlantis for December and were short some MArriott pts.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Sorry for not being clear... They use a corporate travel booking service but I use my own credit cards and can add all my frequent traveler numbers.

In regards to the Amex gold vs the TD aeroplan I assumed using the aero card to book AC flights would net me bonuses. I will look into it more but if Amex is the better option I'll switch out the card.

The first trip I booked with my boss and he's a Hilton guy so we're staying at the Hampton inn but future trips I'll stay at the Marriott as my wife and I booked Atlantis for December and were short some MArriott pts.
Sadly it doesn't. The TD Aeroplan really only nets you significant bonuses on aeroplan AWARD flights. It's misleading, yeah. Amex Gold will net you 2x and transfer 1:1 to aeroplan (or 1:1.25 to avios if you want), or even 1:0.5 to SPG, which might be an option as well. More earnings and more flexible. And good travel insurance, too.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:53 am

I see, then be careful not to drive your agent crazy (say use Card #1 for #1, Card #2 for #2, etc... ), ha

Obviously, use Chase Marriott CC for all Marriott hotels & all Dining
AMEX Gold for everything else on Travel (2X), Gas, Grocery, Pharmacy

Don't think TD Aeroplan has much bonus, and you can't even use its perks (priority check-in, free bag) as it's only for AEROPLAN reward flights on AC metals
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:41 pm

Thank you all for the replies above... its a website booking service and they allow you add a card for hotel booking and card for flight booking. Thanks for the tip regarding perks only available on aero reward tix. i'll switch out the card to the amex gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.