Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:47 pm

Has anyone based in Canada given the IHG surprises promo a go? I'm off to the US this week so I banged out some index cards in my spare time (pretending to be a US resident, of course...)
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by flyer05
Has anyone based in Canada given the IHG surprises promo a go? I'm off to the US this week so I banged out some index cards in my spare time (pretending to be a US resident, of course...)
Does your IHG account have a Cdn address? I'd be interested if it works. Promos like this which are U.S. only really irritate me when they don't offer the same, or something equivalent, to those customers in Canada.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:45 pm

Canadian addresses are ineligible to be registered, I tried
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by flyer05
I used my Florida timeshare as my address. Mailed the envelopes while in the US. Already got 48k in points for $49 in US stamps.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:52 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by BenSenise
i asked them that last year and they said no. from memory, they said they would give a rebate but i don't remember how much. might have been the fee of the Infinite Avion applied to the prestige.
+1^
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by prmetime
Does your IHG account have a Cdn address? I'd be interested if it works. Promos like this which are U.S. only really irritate me when they don't offer the same, or something equivalent, to those customers in Canada.
You can't register with a non-U.S. address but I simply changed mine to a U.S. address and then I was able to register. You could give it a try this way, although to send out the envelopes from Canada seems to incur a significantly higher cost (C$1.20/stamp vs US$0.46)
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:02 pm

I do apologize if this has been asked before, but I did a search here and on Google and couldn't find it easily. A recently approved CIBC Aerogold Business cc requires pick-up at a local branch. Is there any way around this? If not, is there a period of time the cards needs to be picked up by? (e.g. can be it be picked up 3 months after card approval). Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by msfrugalista
I do apologize if this has been asked before, but I did a search here and on Google and couldn't find it easily. A recently approved CIBC Aerogold Business cc requires pick-up at a local branch. Is there any way around this? If not, is there a period of time the cards needs to be picked up by? (e.g. can be it be picked up 3 months after card approval). Thanks in advance!
I'm dealing with this exact issue right now. Default waiting time is 1 month. I asked to hold for 3, but they won't budge on someone else picking up, not even with a power of attorney. We'll see in 3 months...
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
anyone else still have the IHG C1 card, that just got Elite Spire status and 25K points to go along with it?

It seems like the old card grants Spire instead of Platinum now. I was thinking of cancelling ours and cleaning out the IHG points, but $120 AF for 25K annual IHG points is not too bad...
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Aeroplan, Best Western, IHG Rewards, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Originally Posted by Cerenity
anyone else still have the IHG C1 card, that just got Elite Spire status and 25K points to go along with it?

It seems like the old card grants Spire instead of Platinum now. I was thinking of cancelling ours and cleaning out the IHG points, but $120 AF for 25K annual IHG points is not too bad...
That sounds pretty sweet. I would keep it. The 25k points an easily be worth more than the $120 annual fee, the Spire elite status is just icing on the cake!
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:38 pm

You mean EXTRA 25K, on top of 60K welcome bonus?
That's nice. Nothing here

Is it your renewal date? did you actually see the 25K on Cap1 website/statement first, and then transferred?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:08 am

Did you get a letter in the mail stating this? Can't seem to find any info of this online. Also, is the 25K points a "annual fee renewal bonus"?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
I actually got this card back in August, so the 25K is not related to the 60K at all. The 25K is part of the annual benefit of being Spire Elite (choice between 25K or gift platinum to someone else). I just got the email yesterday congratulating me on new Spire Elite status, went to the IHG website, clicked on the benefit links, and the 25K showed up instantly in my account.

No idea if it is a mistake, or if C1 is changing this card's benefit to Spire Elite instead of Platinum. Thus I wanted to see if anyone else is in the same boat.

I actually just cleared out the account and booked some reward nights, and was not planning to continue with IHG... hahaha. Guess I will have to at least re-think that
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:30 am

I actually got this card back in August, so the 25K is not related to the 60K at all. The 25K is part of the annual benefit of being Spire Elite (choice between 25K or gift platinum to someone else). I just got the email yesterday congratulating me on new Spire Elite status, went to the IHG website, clicked on the benefit links, and the 25K showed up instantly in my account.

No idea if it is a mistake, or if C1 is changing this card's benefit to Spire Elite instead of Platinum. Thus I wanted to see if anyone else is in the same boat.

I actually just cleared out the account and booked some reward nights, and was not planning to continue with IHG... hahaha. Guess I will have to at least re-think that
Well lucky you....got the card myself back in June, and my IHG account still showing up as "platinum elite". Was going to cancel the card before the year is up but will probably keep it if the terms/benefits are changing
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:29 am

I think you just fluked out into that...lucky you. I'm jealous.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.