MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by Bravada04
Sorry I'm not quite sure what you mean by this......apparently I am a little slow nor have I visited a travel agent in like 15 years! I might be way off here but are you saying Marlin Travel will book my flight for me with my Airmiles?..........sorry, or am I way off what you have communicated to me.
i think it means that they're a partner with Air Miles, and you can redeem your Air Miles for a credit towards travel booked with Marlin, at a rate of 95 AM = $10 credit
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
How does one redeem airmiles for cash? I've got 1300 that are useless. I was planning on using for a car rental but the cost of buying insurance makes it totally and completely worthless.
Could stay at the The Royal Orchid,Sheraton for a night in Bangkok.@:-)
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Cerenity
i think it means that they're a partner with Air Miles, and you can redeem your Air Miles for a credit towards travel booked with Marlin, at a rate of 95 AM = $10 credit
Exactly.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:43 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Originally Posted by godsquare
Thank you all of the comments.

I will definitely take advantage of AMEX Global transfer and newcomers' program.

However, I am still curious regarding the time line. Assuming that I will get a new AMEX and another card through newcomer program on day 1, when will I be able to apply for a card with good bonus (says, Chase Marriott)?

Any insights would be much appreciated!
I have done global transfer almost 2 years ago. US->Canada.

PM with questions.

This is what I did - applied for Amex platinum Canada and used a 60k MR link (put my amex plat US number in the previous card information). Called Amex US and Amex Canada both and told them I was doing a global transfer and gave them application number. Was able to get it processed in a week or two without much being done. Got 60k MR without issued. Waited 6 months and got a few other cards without issues. Never closed the US card.

For some reason, chase didn't approve my Marriott card app last year. No way I could figure out to call reconsiderations.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:21 am

datapoint: im a canadian resident with no SSN/ITIN and i was able to get a secured USA credit card through Banner Bank by applying in branch in Los Angeles and then communicating with the branch staff by email (process took about a month total). they did a canadian credit check based on my SIN (pulled TU).
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:04 am

If pulling Canadian report, why even bother with a secured card? Banner bank jumped straight into unsecured with a 5k limit based on Canadian history. Even got a massive 10 dollar sign-up bonus
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
If pulling Canadian report, why even bother with a secured card? Banner bank jumped straight into unsecured with a 5k limit based on Canadian history. Even got a massive 10 dollar sign-up bonus
in my case they said it would have to be a secured card after checking the credit score...i have some balances on my line of credit so that might be why...but they told me it was because i had no USA credit history at all...this was a branch that was changing over from America West Bank...might be different rules there...YMMV
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Shocking news, at least for me

There is a SECOND card aside from the Chase Marriot that offers no forex fees in Canada...

... The Rogers Platinum Mastercard. I mean it's a ...... 1.75% cashback card but no annual fee for Rogers customers & no Forex might actually make it worth having since there's no real harm.

I always thought the Chase Marriot was the only one...
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Shocking news, at least for me

There is a SECOND card aside from the Chase Marriot that offers no forex fees in Canada...

... The Rogers Platinum Mastercard. I mean it's a ...... 1.75% cashback card but no annual fee for Rogers customers & no Forex might actually make it worth having since there's no real harm.

I always thought the Chase Marriot was the only one...
The Chase Amazon.ca card makes it three.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:16 pm

And grandfathered Sears Mastercard to Scotia (cannot apply for) makes 4
Old Mar 11, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Post Deleted - can't read...need more coffee..

Last edited by Cruban; Mar 11, 2016 at 7:39 am Reason: Duplicate post
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The Amazon.ca card was my first Canadian card, but now the Rogers card is my primary for anything where I don't get 2% on the Tangerine card.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
They're all mostly Chase Canada. with Rogers Bank, it's still only 2 issuers attempting to waive FX fees.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by keitherson
They're all mostly Chase Canada. with Rogers Bank, it's still only 2 issuers attempting to waive FX fees.
That's still two more than there were four years ago. Though as long as people are willing to patronize other cards, they have no incentive to change.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:57 am

I must say the Rogers card is about to become my go to card for non-bonus categories. Until I realized the cash back could be issued as a statement credit on everything (when calling a CSR), I was considering applying for mbna Rewards WE, and hoping to get approved for a Platinum Plus 2% — I do not meet World Elite income requirements. But when doing the math (1.75%/$29AF waivable/no foreign currency fee; vs 2%/$89AF/2.5% foreign curr. fee), it's a no brainer: offsetting the $60 difference in annual fees would require an additional 24000 annual spend.

Last edited by Hyacinthe; Mar 13, 2016 at 9:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.