MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2016, 11:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ValueHunter99
What do you this of this though?

" The 30,000 points will be awarded as follows: 20,000 points will be awarded on activation of the card and the remaining 10,000 points will be awarded one year after the card is issued on the account anniversary date."
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:25 am

Programs: AP, SPG, Amex MR, BAEC, IHG
Originally Posted by loun80

" The 30,000 points will be awarded as follows: 20,000 points will be awarded on activation of the card and the remaining 10,000 points will be awarded one year after the card is issued on the account anniversary date."
That sucks, and so does the fact that redemption is tiered, the first level is 11K points, the next is 22K. So unless you do a fair bit of spend to get it up to 22K somehow you don't even get the $200 value on those points… not so hot for churning IMO. Though w/ the fee redemptions maybe it comes closer.

Good summary of the program here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/natio.../#post23381551
Old Feb 25, 2016, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by ecgz88
so it's like MBNA Alaska card, even I canceled can still keep the $250 westjet dollars and companion pass,right?

is it no churn?
Re: your Westjet question:
Pay the $99 annual fee; it won't be refundable. Keep the card a minimum of 6 months before cancelling.

Last edited by jerry305; Feb 25, 2016 at 12:27 pm
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
folks, would appreciate some feedback on this weird issue:

1. wife applied for mbna alaska card (2nd one in 6 months) - was under review.
2. she called and agent informed her that there was an issue with her name when the credit profile was pulled. the agent informed her that either she could send a bank statement showing proof of her married name or the agent could approve a card showing her "firstname maidenname lastname".
3. wife chose the latter.
4. activated card and made minimal spend.
5. i had her call mbna to confirm the alaska mileage plan # on record and it was a new #. she asked the agent to change it her existing plan # and that was corrected.
5. first bill comes in and shows the correct mileage plan # along with 25k points earned.
6. its almost 2 months now and the points have not posted.
7. wife called mbna and the agent says it could be due to the fact that the mileage plan # was changed and it could take another 6 to 8 weeks.

is the last point true or was the agent being lazy and trying to get us off the phone?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by injian

2. she called and agent informed her that there was an issue with her name when the credit profile was pulled. the agent informed her that either she could send a bank statement showing proof of her married name or the agent could approve a card showing her "firstname maidenname lastname".
5. i had her call mbna to confirm the alaska mileage plan # on record and it was a new #. she asked the agent to change it her existing plan # and that was corrected.
5. first bill comes in and shows the correct mileage plan # along with 25k points earned.
7. wife called mbna and the agent says it could be due to the fact that the mileage plan # was changed and it could take another 6 to 8 weeks.

is the last point true or was the agent being lazy and trying to get us off the phone?
Has she checked the "reward balance" in the MBNA website? Is the 25,000 points shown there and does it indicate it has been transferred out to the mileage plan?

Sometimes MBNA mess up with the mileage plus account number or the agent really trying to get you off the phone( but some agents are excellent though).

Every time I applied for an MBNA Alaska card they initiated a new MP number. Last time when I called the MBNA agent said they were not able to change to my existing MP # as the 25K is in the process of transferring to MP, and request me to call Alaska directly to merge my old and new account as the points was posted.

Then I called Alaska and they didn't see any 25,000 points in the newly initiated account. I opened up MBNA online site and actually saw the 25,000 was in "MBNA reward balance", which indicated that the points have not been transferred out to Alaska MP.

Alaska MP agent was kind enough to send a note to MBNA to tell them my actual MP# and at the end the points are posted directly to my existing MP account 2 months later.

Try to be on top of it and continue to monitor your MBNA and Alaska accounts.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by injian

If it's less than two months it might just still be that the points haven't transferred. My last card took two billing cycles.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 5:45 am

RBC Westjet World Elite expands companion pass

Companion pass previously only allowed for $99 (plus taxes/fees) companion ticket within CAnada and U.S.

They've expanded, but charge $299 for Hawaii, Mexico, Caribbean and $399 for UK Ireland.

Will have to look at it more closely, but seems like you're getting 50% discount on the new destinations vs. what I'd be willing to pay.

WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard holders treated to unmatched benefits
Tuesday, March 01, 2016 11:00:00 AM (GMT)

Companion voucher now good for travel across airline's network

CALGARY, Mar. 1, 2016 /CNW/ - WestJet announced today that cardholders of the WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard can now redeem their companion voucher for travel anywhere in the WestJet network, including Mexico, the Caribbean, Hawaii and Europe. The first checked bag at no charge benefit has also been extended to include the entire network.

"This upgraded benefit confirms WestJet's commitment to our WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard holders who asked for access to our entire network when using their companion voucher," said Marshall Wilmot, WestJet Senior Vice-President, Marketing and Digital. "We are thrilled to now offer unrestricted access to the WestJet network without requiring a minimum annual card spend or high annual fees. This companion benefit along with the first checked bag at no charge is unmatched in the travel rewards credit card market in Canada."

The companion voucher is part of the welcome bonus and annual renewal award available to new and existing WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard holders. This offer allows the primary cardholder to take a companion on a round trip on the same itinerary for $99 (Canada and contiguous U.S.), $299 (sun destinations including Hawaii, Mexico and the Caribbean), or $399 (U.K. and Ireland), plus taxes, fees and charges on any WestJet-marketed and operated flight anywhere in the WestJet network.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Companion pass previously only allowed for $99 (plus taxes/fees) companion ticket within CAnada and U.S.

They've expanded, but charge $299 for Hawaii, Mexico, Caribbean and $399 for UK Ireland.

Will have to look at it more closely, but seems like you're getting 50% discount on the new destinations vs. what I'd be willing to pay.

WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard holders treated to unmatched benefits
Tuesday, March 01, 2016 11:00:00 AM (GMT)

Companion voucher now good for travel across airline's network

CALGARY, Mar. 1, 2016 /CNW/ - WestJet announced today that cardholders of the WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard can now redeem their companion voucher for travel anywhere in the WestJet network, including Mexico, the Caribbean, Hawaii and Europe. The first checked bag at no charge benefit has also been extended to include the entire network.

"This upgraded benefit confirms WestJet's commitment to our WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard holders who asked for access to our entire network when using their companion voucher," said Marshall Wilmot, WestJet Senior Vice-President, Marketing and Digital. "We are thrilled to now offer unrestricted access to the WestJet network without requiring a minimum annual card spend or high annual fees. This companion benefit along with the first checked bag at no charge is unmatched in the travel rewards credit card market in Canada."

The companion voucher is part of the welcome bonus and annual renewal award available to new and existing WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard holders. This offer allows the primary cardholder to take a companion on a round trip on the same itinerary for $99 (Canada and contiguous U.S.), $299 (sun destinations including Hawaii, Mexico and the Caribbean), or $399 (U.K. and Ireland), plus taxes, fees and charges on any WestJet-marketed and operated flight anywhere in the WestJet network.
Better, but as far as Hawaii goes the AS card still beats this hands down at $99 plus taxes.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:39 am

I wonder if you need to pay fuel surcharges to London...
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by prmetime
Better, but as far as Hawaii goes the AS card still beats this hands down at $99 plus taxes.
Yes, but for those of us where AS doesn't fly for a connection, it would be handy. Then again I've seen some really cheap Hawaii fares from YYZ, so who knows?

Originally Posted by crimsona
I wonder if you need to pay fuel surcharges to London...
Or the APD other UK fees...looking at AP bookings I think that's ~$200 ticket.

I don't think this new perk makes the card that much more attractive. Let's take a Caribbean flight, where you pay $500. This perk would be worth $500 - $299 - $99 annual fee = $100, or less after tax. Something like that. There's an obvious incentive to look for a more expensive flight, but then the savings are nullified since primary passenger is paying more (i.e. not $500).

Considering I paid $420 to fly Westjet to Cancun this winter, i'm not really motivated by this offer. But hey, kudos to them for adding something.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by pokee
I'm still going to try to churn the BMO World Elite and get the bonus via the upgrade/downgrade game with the same account over the period of 2-3 years. I'm currently on a downgrade and will try to upgrade to that card next year and see if they have a record of it! I'll let everyone know if I was successful!!!
Anyone know how sticky BMO is on giving welcome bonuses for other products after you've already had a card with them?

I recently cancelled my BMO World Elite MC and I thought that I'd given the BMO Air Miles World Elite MC a spin at some point. I'm in no rush, I can wait a year or more if need be.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG
Originally Posted by loun80

Don't like this at all! It forces you to renew for the 2nd year and pay the annual fees.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by heraclitus
Anyone know how sticky BMO is on giving welcome bonuses for other products after you've already had a card with them?

I recently cancelled my BMO World Elite MC and I thought that I'd given the BMO Air Miles World Elite MC a spin at some point. I'm in no rush, I can wait a year or more if need be.
I actually just went down that path so I can give you a confirmed answer in the next few months (just received card, working on the spend, havent gotten 1st statement yet).

I talked to their branch staff and call center agents and they seem to actually suggest doing this , since their offers arent applicable to product transfers, so they recommend to apply for a new card to get the promo miles. They also seemed to agree with me that if i downgrade my existing World Elite prior, the premium plan fee waiver will cover the new AM World Elite's AF.

Also, I've gotten the bonuses twice at least for BMO World Elite, including a mistake double bonus the first time (60K points), but 3rd time didnt seem to work (last year). Might just need to wait longer for repeat product attempts...
Old Mar 1, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by Nathalie.OroLoyalty
Don't like this at all! It forces you to renew for the 2nd year and pay the annual fees.
Agreed. That plus the 10% hit for lower tier makes this offer junk for us for the time being.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 9:52 am

How strict are CIBC with approvals? I know plenty of people have gotten multiple approvals on the Aerogold Business, but last time I got rejected for it. If I'm looking to apply for this card as well as an Amex card on my next cycle, would it be advisable to do CIBC first, then Amex, since Amex is known to be ultra-lenient with approvals?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.