MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2016, 12:43 am

that's so true, now so many Best western hotel is 32K/36K points now problem is in Canada there's no other Hotel CC available besides SPG and Marriott (both of them suppose to be no churn), so I will just keep applied Best western card every 6 month

Originally Posted by heraclitus
I applied for 2 of those a few months apart last year and got the bonus both times, IIRC once at 20K and again at 40K. But it's kind of lame to the point of not being worth the credit hit and in hindsight I'm not sure I should have bothered. Two signups and barely enough points for three nights.

Last edited by ecgz88; Apr 20, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by jix
Has anyone held both USA and Canada credit cards at the same time tied to the same loyalty account? Just want to check the experience and see if there's any program that does not allow such combination?

Specifically, the AMEX SPG, Mastercard IHG/Alaska and Visa Aeroplan/Avios have both US and Canadian issuers.
I currently hold the SPG Amex in Cda and the US. Used my girlfriend's FL address for my US card.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by ecgz88
that's so true, now so many Best western hotel is 32K/36K points now problem is in Canada there's no other really Hotel CC available besides SPG and Marriott (both of them suppose to be no churn), so I will just keep applied Best western card every 6 month
SPG (and Marriott card)can both be churned...
Old Apr 19, 2016, 12:50 pm
YUL

Programs: SPG Gold / IHG Spire / Emerald Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jix
Has anyone held both USA and Canada credit cards at the same time tied to the same loyalty account? Just want to check the experience and see if there's any program that does not allow such combination?

Specifically, the AMEX SPG, Mastercard IHG/Alaska and Visa Aeroplan/Avios have both US and Canadian issuers.
FWIW, I churned both SPG and Aeroplan US/Canada CCs in the past.

First; the US Amex SPG while having a MBNA SPG (RIP), then a Cdn Amex SPG.

Also, a US Aeroplan CC (RIP) and a CIBC Aeroplan.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by jix

Yeah, our churn team has SPG, Marriott and Alaska cards on both sides of the border, with no problems. Same loyalty account receives points from Canadian and US cards. The joys of Double Dippin'!
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:47 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by Preacher7
Yeah, our churn team has SPG, Marriott and Alaska cards on both sides of the border, with no problems. Same loyalty account receives points from Canadian and US cards. The joys of Double Dippin'!
OK thanks good to know. I'll be moving to US soon so looking at credit card options.

The other question is, where to set the address for the loyalty program. Are US addresses more frequently targeted for promotions?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Smile Yes you can

Second the double dipping!

Used the SPG card on both sides of the border.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:50 am

Question

Is there a Canadian credit card that is FYF and doesn't reverse the annual fee (for the 2nd year) after it's been posted?

Thanks
Old Apr 24, 2016, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by emilio911
Is there a Canadian credit card that is FYF and doesn't reverse the annual fee (for the 2nd year) after it's been posted?
I'd be surprised to see one that does. Every time I've tried, I've been refused and have cancelled the card.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:17 pm

Question

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'd be surprised to see one that does. Every time I've tried, I've been refused and have cancelled the card.
I meant one that doesn't refund you the annual fee even when you ask to cancel the card.

Last edited by emilio911; Apr 24, 2016 at 12:52 pm
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:22 pm

I meant one that doesn't refund you the annual fee even if you ask to cancel the card.

Why wouldn't you want them to refund you?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:51 pm

Question

Originally Posted by DealAddict

Why wouldn't you want them to refund you?
I meant ... one that doesn't want to refund you.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I meant ... one that doesn't want to refund you.

And he's asking why would you want that? Or in case you're not understanding his answer:

ALL canadian cards will refuse to refund

NONE will refund

Does that answer your question?

(I'm just translating what he said, not vouching for the truth of the statement)
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:43 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K

Thanks
AMEX gold, but that's if you took the retention offer and then transferred points afterwards to other accounts where they cannot be brought back.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90

(I'm just translating what he said, not vouching for the truth of the statement)
In this case, he is soooo wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.