MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:40 pm

Question

Originally Posted by jix
AMEX gold, but that's if you took the retention offer and then transferred points afterwards to other accounts where they cannot be brought back.

Thanks for your answer.

But is there a card that will not refund in normal conditions? (I'm not talking about gimmicks to get more points or anything...)
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by emilio911
I meant one that doesn't refund you the annual fee even when you ask to cancel the card.
They should all do that if you're within the grace period, which I believe is typically 30 days.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: SPG
Hello,

My credit score is 730+, last cc application (BMO AirMiles World Elite) was at the end of January. I am in Ontario. I would like to apply for a couple of Cards and would like some opinions.

1. The American Express® AIR MILES®* Platinum Credit Card w/ 2,000 AIR MILES bonus. I presently have two Amex cards: Starwood and plain AirMiles card (had this for 10+ years). Will Amex approve me for the 3rd card? Would I be able to self refer to this card, and if not, what is the best sign up additional money I can get? I do not believe I can change my plain AirMiles card to AIR MILES®* Platinum and get a sign up bonus.
2. Chase Marriott Rewards® Premier Visa® Card. I've got this card in November 2014, cancelled in October 2015. I should be able to get 50K sign up bonus now (minus free night certificate), correct? I've read about Chase being strict with accepting applications with >5 credit pulls in the past 5 years; not sure if it is for US or applies to Canada as well.

Do Amex and Chase do credit pulls from different bureaus? Any preference to which card I should apply first?

Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by Vit007
Hello,

My credit score is 730+, last cc application (BMO AirMiles World Elite) was at the end of January. I am in Ontario. I would like to apply for a couple of Cards and would like some opinions.

1. The American Express® AIR MILES®* Platinum Credit Card w/ 2,000 AIR MILES bonus. I presently have two Amex cards: Starwood and plain AirMiles card (had this for 10+ years). Will Amex approve me for the 3rd card? Would I be able to self refer to this card, and if not, what is the best sign up additional money I can get? I do not believe I can change my plain AirMiles card to AIR MILES®* Platinum and get a sign up bonus.
2. Chase Marriott Rewards® Premier Visa® Card. I've got this card in November 2014, cancelled in October 2015. I should be able to get 50K sign up bonus now (minus free night certificate), correct? I've read about Chase being strict with accepting applications with >5 credit pulls in the past 5 years; not sure if it is for US or applies to Canada as well.

Do Amex and Chase do credit pulls from different bureaus? Any preference to which card I should apply first?

Thanks!
You can only have a maximum of 2 personal credit cards and I think the platinum airmiles is a credit and not a charge card, you'll have to drop your SPG in order to apply for the Air Miles Platinum You're better off with one of the charge cards (Gold, Platinum)
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by msNJV
You can only have a maximum of 2 personal credit cards and I think the platinum airmiles is a credit and not a charge card, you'll have to drop your SPG in order to apply for the Air Miles Platinum You're better off with one of the charge cards (Gold, Platinum)
Thanks for the reminder of credit vs charge cards I will keep SPG for now and will worry about Amex Air Miles later on.

I cancelled Business Gold in January, had it since February 2015 - is it too early to reapply?

I am mildly interested in Platinum charge card with 75K sign up bonus since many of the airports where I will be do not have a Priority Pass lounge. How does car rental get charged when booked via portal for $200 credit - when the car is booked or when it is dropped off? It looks like to me it is charged when it is booked.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Vit007
I cancelled Business Gold in January, had it since February 2015 - is it too early to reapply?
The general rule is to wait about 3 months after cancelling, before reapplying for an Amex card. That said I've reapplied for the Biz Gold Rewards card within a week after cancelling without issues. However, I may have been lucky, as there were others in the past (look in the older 2013/2014 Amex Canada threads) who have reported that a newly cancelled account was re-opened when applying too soon, such as within a month after cancelling.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:14 am

I don't know if this is the right forum so please move mods if appropriate.

I have a refundable flight that I charged to my SPG Amex a couple of months ago. I need to refund it and book a new one. Can I just book the new one, incurring the charge (and earning the SPG points) and then cancel hte other one to offset the new charge?

I wouldn only do this once as I don't want to raise any red flags with Amex, but if i can do this legitimately I could get a nice new bunch of SPG points.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
I don't know if this is the right forum so please move mods if appropriate.

I have a refundable flight that I charged to my SPG Amex a couple of months ago. I need to refund it and book a new one. Can I just book the new one, incurring the charge (and earning the SPG points) and then cancel hte other one to offset the new charge?

I wouldn only do this once as I don't want to raise any red flags with Amex, but if i can do this legitimately I could get a nice new bunch of SPG points.
Probably belongs in SPG thread :P
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...press-123.html

but I don't see why not
although, how is it different than cancel first + re-book?

You'll miss the original SPG points from original booking refund, but gain new SPG points on new booking
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Probably belongs in SPG thread :P
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...press-123.html

but I don't see why not
although, how is it different than cancel first + re-book?

You'll miss the original SPG points from original booking refund, but gain new SPG points on new booking
It's not really a SPG-card issue. Could be any card, really. On the refund to they put my account into a -ve SPG transfer balance? They can't exactly claw back points from my SPG account. I was wondering if I get the points twice, really. Sounds too good to be true, which leads me to believe it isn't.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:36 pm

It's not really a SPG-card issue. Could be any card, really. On the refund to they put my account into a -ve SPG transfer balance? They can't exactly claw back points from my SPG account. I was wondering if I get the points twice, really. Sounds too good to be true, which leads me to believe it isn't.
Let me put it that way
-Statement 1:
  • 1 flight, $5000
Puchases-returns on statement, $5000 -> 5000 points earned.
-Statement 2:
  • 1 flight, $5000
  • 1 flight refund, -$5000
Purchases-returns on statement, $0 -> 0 points earned.

No matter how you do it. If you return a purchase of X dollars, you will get X points deducted from your new purchases.
It can help fast track to make a refundable large purchase but you won't get free points for an item later returned/refunded.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
Let me put it that way
-Statement 1:
  • 1 flight, $5000
-Statement 2:
  • 1 flight, $5000

No matter how you do it. If you return a purchase of X dollars, you will get X points deducted from your new purchases.
It can help fast track to make a refundable large purchase but you won't get free points for an item later returned/refunded.
D-uh...makes sense now. Thanks for the illustration.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:10 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
Let me put it that way
-Statement 1:
  • 1 flight, $5000
-Statement 2:
  • 1 flight, $5000

... unless you never use the card again. But then, they might charge you for the negative balance.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:54 am

Both TD and CIBC are offering 50k Aeroplan points on the Privilege versions of their cards. $399 annual fees on both, so definitely not cheap. But I like the card for zone 2 boarding. When it comes up for renewal I don't know if I'll keep it. Probably threaten to cancel (legitimately) and if they don't play ball get the competing product (hopefully it still offers 50k points).
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
I've got credits back from Aeroplan redemptions to cards that were cancelled in the meantime. I've got cheques back (Amex/TD) and a transfer to another card (TD). Only in one case did TD (no surprise) claw back the points from my AP account.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:57 am

Both TD and CIBC are offering 50k Aeroplan points on the Privilege versions of their cards. $399 annual fees on both, so definitely not cheap. But I like the card for zone 2 boarding. When it comes up for renewal I don't know if I'll keep it. Probably threaten to cancel (legitimately) and if they don't play ball get the competing product (hopefully it still offers 50k points).
This is fantastic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.