Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2016, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, KevisionB!

Originally Posted by KevisionB
is there a consensus on which is the best tel# to call re AF renewal bonus? And is it best to call before or after the AF posts to your card?
I've always called the number on the back of the card after the fee has posted.

My first year ends May 6th and I'm hoping for a lot of points I have $18+K spend
Keep hoping, but don't count on it. People with much higher spends have gotten nothing or next to nothing.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: SPG, SPG Amex, Aeroplan, etc
Originally Posted by mahasamatman

Keep hoping, but don't count on it. People with much higher spends have gotten nothing or next to nothing.
really nothing even on the first anniversary? I've heard that they won't give you anything when you call the year after receiving a call-in bonus but didn't realize that they flat out deny on the first year too.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
really nothing even on the first anniversary?
Credit card issuers are much stingier than they used to be. Again, it can't hurt to ask, but just don't go in with great expectations.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 4:58 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
My first year ends May 6th and I'm hoping for a lot of points : ) I have $18+K spend plus I've made SPG Gold on my own the past few years without the card.
$18k spent is nothing. You barely even reached half-way through the $30/40k milestone for Gold status / free weekend night.

Give them a call, and let us know how it goes. But I wouldn't set my expectation too high. If you're lucky, maybe they will offer you 5000 spg points or something.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by JordanWalker
$18k spent is nothing. You barely even reached half-way through the $30/40k milestone for Gold status / free weekend night.

Give them a call, and let us know how it goes. But I wouldn't set my expectation too high. If you're lucky, maybe they will offer you 5000 spg points or something.
I have between a $60 - $80k spend and call in every couple years. Usually get ~10,000 points without too much hassle.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA Advantage, spg platnum, viporter, United Silver, Delta Med
Had card for one year , 20k spend. Zero rentention offer.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Had card for a long time. Over 10 years I believe dating back to when it was an MBNA card. $50,000 spend zero retention offer, but I did not really push it. I did ask but did not escalate it. Canceled the card. Might be due to the fact that I also have the Gold, Business Gold, Plat and Business Plat cards (until their annual fees role around and no retention offers are forthcoming!).
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:20 am

data point

Good news - After 2 weeks of statement, AMEX manually posted my missing referral points (Personal SPG -> 1 Personal SPG + 1 Biz SPG)
Bonus +20,000 - 04/26/2016 AMEX REWARDS CANADA
Bad news, my Biz SPG -> Personal SPG referral only showed 5K (instead of 10K), and AMEX just confirmed the same (coming from their back office) ... that is strange
FYI, my Personal SPG -> Biz SPG yielded 10K referral correctly
As per the update received, you will get 5,000 points for referral.
If you wish to discuss this further, please call us at 1-800-869-3016 (24/7) and we will be happy to assist further.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I was offered 7000 point retention bonus for personal Amex about a month ago. Spent $30K in the previous year. I accepted.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: SPG, SPG Amex, Aeroplan, etc

okay well I made the call and it didn't go well... was offered NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

I did get some info though that some of you may or may not know. To plead my case I said I was surprised because of my 18K spend I probably spent well over $5K on Starwood reservations or food & drinks at their properties. Plus, I'm a fairly young guy who really has only been traveling for a few years and already tallied 57nights lifetime at SPG, most at their premium W brand where it's easily $10+ a beer after tax/tip.

I realize that probably doesn't sound like much to a lot of you but I don't travel for business and didn't have a privileged upbringing or anything. I was told that AMEX only bases their retention offers on annual spend and wouldn't take into account whether all or none of it were spent at Starwood. That doesn't seem right to me but what do I know, right?

If I have some time after doing my taxes this weekend I might try sending an email or letter to SPG to see if all things considered they appreciate me extending my brand loyalty with the Amex card and if not I'll seriously need to consider if it's worth my while...
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
I did get some info though that some of you may or may not know. I was told that AMEX only bases their retention offers on annual spend and wouldn't take into account whether all or none of it were spent at Starwood.
Well, that's what their deal is. SPG has their loyalty schedule, and Amex has their own. They're not going to change the rules for individuals. If you want to write to SPG or Amex about it, sure, go for it.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:18 pm

Four years with the personal card+4 years platinum+40,000 spend - first time I called for a retention bonus last year and I got nothing. I was so p'od that I cancelled the card. I know I get good value with the SPG program but if Amex loyalty does not kick in at 40G, I would be surprised to hear it kicking in at $18G. Will wait a couple of years then reapply for a suitable bonus offer and hope it goes through despite recent changes wrt lifetime limits. Got the business card, with a family referral, so the outcome was better than a retention bonus in the end, which you should consider if you need/want a lot of "free" points.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
How long after $500 spend does the 20K bonus post?

If I refer a family member and they sign up for the card, the T&Cs say that family member must spend $500 within the first three months to get a 20K bonus. Does the bonus get posted after the first month if the $500 spend happens in the first month, or do you have to wait for the full 3 months to elapse before the bonus posts?

Any first-hand experiences? Family member would like Starpoints sooner rather than later.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by catgirl
If I refer a family member and they sign up for the card, the T&Cs say that family member must spend $500 within the first three months to get a 20K bonus. Does the bonus get posted after the first month if the $500 spend happens in the first month, or do you have to wait for the full 3 months to elapse before the bonus posts?

Any first-hand experiences? Family member would like Starpoints sooner rather than later.
You get 10K referral SPG upon their approval

They get 20K SPG after spending $500
BOTH on the "next" upcoming monthly statement

So, they should spend $500 ASAP, to have 20K ASAP
Old Jul 14, 2016, 5:58 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold

Heck, I just put 18k on my card (which is a visa) yesterday when paying for some landscaping. I dropped Amex a few years ago. I put as much as I could on it but acceptance isn't great in Canada and the call centre wouldn't discuss annual fee waiver and or retention bonus on upwards of 60k spend at the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.