MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
So I got declined for a fifth MBNA card.

This time the representative stated the rule that you cannot apply for a second card if you have one only. So that limits one MBNA card person.

Apparently they issued this rule 1 month ago. Anybody having issues as well?
Old May 12, 2016, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by flyerhog

This time the representative stated the rule that you cannot apply for a second card if you have one only. So that limits one MBNA card person.

fifth of the same card (e.g. Alaska) or fifth within the MBNA family? I believe the former is more likely to be a new restriction as I find it weird that they'd say you can't have an Alaska card and a Smartcash, for example. As far as I know all of the banks allow you to carry more than one of their issued cards.
Old May 12, 2016, 8:45 am

Which card was this?

The MBNA Alaska thread is abuzz with news of this rule being implemented (seems to be undeniably true this time unlike previous occasions of boy-who-cried-wolf), but I wonder if it's the policy with all their cards as I was hoping to open a second BW card soon given the recent promotion.
Old May 12, 2016, 2:23 pm

They declined my application for an Alaska Airlines card, which I was told it is because I already have a card with them (the 1% rewards card - only a limit of $2,000).
Old May 12, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by james29
They declined my application for an Alaska Airlines card, which I was told it is because I already have a card with them (the 1% rewards card - only a limit of $2,000).
Talk about going from one extreme to another...
Old May 12, 2016, 5:41 pm

to add a data point..

they initially declined my MBNA alaska airlines card but they called me later and approved it because on their system my old one that I cancelled in October was still active in error. They stressed 1 card only though.
Old May 13, 2016, 2:08 am

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
The rep says it's one Alaska card at one time, not to other MBNA cards.
Old May 14, 2016, 8:51 am

thanks form the help

Last edited by Abraham Quintana; May 14, 2016 at 8:56 am Reason: newbie, figuered it out
Old May 16, 2016, 9:17 pm

In case it hasn't been posted before....

National Bank World Elite Mastercard 30,000 Welcome points(worth $300) FYF
Old May 17, 2016, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by jubberly
In case it hasn't been posted before....

National Bank World Elite Mastercard 30,000 Welcome points(worth $300) FYF
https://www.nbc.ca/en/personal/credi...rld-elite.html

I was gonna say "same old, same old..." but this offer is better than last year. It's still not quite $300 in points immediately on activation, but it's close.

EDIT: 30,000 points will be awarded as a "welcome bonus".
But it's only 20,000 points in the first year, and 10,000 points in the second year.
$1 spend generates 1.5 points.

Redemption table:
11,000 points = $100
22,000 points = $200
33,000 points = $300
50,000 points = $500

So, on activation, you'll have $100 in points. With $1,334 spend, you'll earn 2000 points, enough to get to 22,000 points = $200.

This card seems like a good value.

EDIT AGAIN: These are old numbers now.

Last edited by jerry305; Mar 20, 2017 at 1:20 am Reason: Terms & conditions better understood.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: *void
NBC World Elite MC

It's better than 'usual' because now it's FYF across the board, whereas it was targeted FYF in the past. I liked this card, except for a few issues:
- need to spend another $2000 to get the full $300 value (as you mentioned, but no biggie)
- when I wanted to product-switch it to a no-fee card after my FYF was expiring, NBC wouldn't let me do it without another credit pull.

But, their way of getting the travel credit knocks the socks off the annoying BMO World Elite MC! So much easier to do, online and on your own, without some lame required booking website to go through. Plus if you do travel a lot, the "up to $250" savvy traveller Airport credits make up for the lower earning rates on spending, and even on the the $150 AF. The out-of-Canada medical coverage for up to 60 days is a nice perk too! One more thing, which I never got to use, is the NBC international travel lounge in YUL.

So, for the 'right' person, this is a really good card to get, not just to churn.

Someone should update this thread's wiki. An older lamer offer is listed there.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Someone should update this thread's wiki. An older lamer offer is listed there.
Done!
Old May 17, 2016, 3:37 pm

Does anyone have some insight......Would someone who is currently a CAD non-resident living in Europe but has a SIN, CAD address, bank accounts and some a couple legacy CAD credit cards be approved for a new CAD credit card application? Eg TD Aeroplan or Amex Good MR?
Old May 17, 2016, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by jhartley15
Does anyone have some insight......Would someone who is currently a CAD non-resident living in Europe but has a SIN, CAD address, bank accounts and some a couple legacy CAD credit cards be approved for a new CAD credit card application? Eg TD Aeroplan or Amex Good MR?
If your credit score is good and you have some activity reporting the only issue I can possibly see is your employment status and may request proof of employment.
Old May 17, 2016, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by jhartley15
I expect that a requirement would be for you to be a Canadian resident,however,if you don't fess up and provide a Canadian address and your SIN #....how would they know?

Last edited by jubberly; May 17, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.