MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by RTLS
My spouse just received the Platinum card referred by me with Amex Gold to take advantage of the big bonus currently offered.

I can't figure out when and where the $200.00 travel credit will appear. We want to us it to buy a hotel room. Am I right in saying that it has to be used only with a preferred partner? Hilton, Starwood etc.

Thanks for the help.
Log in to amex's online website, then go to the travel tab -> book online travel. you should see the $200 credit on that page. I got my Plat in late May and already see my $200 credit there

It is not restricted preferred partners. It can be used on anything you can find from their website. Sometimes the rates arent the greatest, so do compare vs non-amex bookings. Many like to use it on the hotels in the FHR program
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: Avios, Aeroplan, Marriott, x,Hilton
Originally Posted by Cerenity
Log in to amex's online website, then go to the travel tab -> book online travel. you should see the $200 credit on that page. I got my Plat in late May and already see my $200 credit there

It is not restricted preferred partners. It can be used on anything you can find from their website. Sometimes the rates arent the greatest, so do compare vs non-amex bookings. Many like to use it on the hotels in the FHR program
Thanks for the quick reply but what is the FHR program?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G

"Fine hotels&resorts" - if you stay at select properties you get special extea benefits (eg 100USD to use for food/etc at the resort during your stay), read up on all the benefits

And the credit being usable once per CALENDAR year is sweet because it means it takes down the annual fee by 400 (if you plan on just having the card for 1 year)
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: Avios, Aeroplan, Marriott, x,Hilton
Originally Posted by Smiley90
"Fine hotels&resorts" - if you stay at select properties you get special extea benefits (eg 100USD to use for food/etc at the resort during your stay), read up on all the benefits

And the credit being usable once per CALENDAR year is sweet because it means it takes down the annual fee by 400 (if you plan on just having the card for 1 year)
OK Got it. Thanks.

And yes, exactly what we plan on doing - cancelling before renewal time.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
I forgot to cancel my MBNA Alaska prior to my 2nd year's AF.

My 2nd year's $75 AF was posted a week ago.

If I cancel it now, will they be able to take off that $75? Or am I SOL and might as well keep it for another 11 months?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JordanWalker
My 2nd year's $75 AF was posted a week ago.

If I cancel it now, will they be able to take off that $75?
Every card I know of will give you some time after the fee posts (typically at least 30 days) to cancel the card and get the fee refunded.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Anyone has the screenshot of the recent TD Aeroplan promo ? I applied and was approved before the deadline but the letter in my card package doesn't mention anything about the extra 10000 bonus points.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by choupeo
Anyone has the screenshot of the recent TD Aeroplan promo ? I applied and was approved before the deadline but the letter in my card package doesn't mention anything about the extra 10000 bonus points.
I believe they (CIBC/TD) never do
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by choupeo
i have it, the fine print does say after 90 days so i'm still waiting before i call. PM me with an email i can send to you.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines

You can also book any Cancellable Hotel at Amex.ca Travel. get the $ 200 Travel Credit , then later cancel the Hotel. I have done it before.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan , AMEX
Originally Posted by jerryhung
No you cannot
not anymore since 2013 I think

It's really bad ratio for GC redemption (I think I redeemed my 15K for 2x$50 GC, how sad)
but even harder to redeem for flights
so I stick with Aeroplan CC now from CIBC
Sorry for misleading info , I saw that on Aeroplan website ,did not know they discontinued the transfers.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by ericosuave
Sorry for misleading info , I saw that on Aeroplan website ,did not know they discontinued the transfers.
If you've held the card since 2013 or earlier you can still transfer.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: AP, SPG, Amex MR, BAEC, IHG
Originally Posted by robinkar
I got the BMO World Elite card a year ago when they had a Free First Year offer. One of the perks is four Priority Pass visits per year. I didn't activate the Priority Pass membership until part way through the year, and it is supposedly good for a year, but I'm wondering if it will still be valid for a full year if I cancel the BMO card. Anyone have experience with this?
I + family got a few when it first came out and the Priority Pass membership continued after cancellation. Not sure if it's still like that. I was a bit worried as I seem to recall the PP terms say that if your membership is cancelled/expired they will charge your card for visits.

Might be worth calling PP to "check how many free visits you have left" before using after cancellation..

Or just get an Amex Plat and have unlimited access!
Old Jun 10, 2016, 1:08 am

Just as a data point - it seems the new "only one card rule" with Alaska via MBNA isn't a hard and fast one. I applied last week online, got the "pending review message", and yesterday there was the new (second) card in the mail.

Now I don't know if it made a difference, but I was in an online "chat" with a rep and had mentioned this was to be a second card for my business (it legitimately is) and I have not churned them in the past.

I will post back if/when bonus points still post.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by DealAddict
Aren't BW going to say it's an MBNA issue if you call them?
That's what I thought but I was transferred to a woman who apparently is the "person" at BW who liaises with MBNA and she said it's been a known issue - points not transferring from MBNA. Finally after dealing with her, my points were posted 2.5 wks later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.