MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2015, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by kay sedia
I have switched RBC products numerous times now and always got whatever bonus was advertised. I've have maintained BA for about 5 years for the first/business class companion pass and also rotate between Avion(15000), WestJet($250 westjet dollars + companion pass, and Shoppers(free but comes with optimum points)). In my opinion the value of BA has really decreased and am going to focus on Avion due to transfer bonuses to American who has way lower taxes than BA, or to BA if you want. I would actually cancel my BA but I have trips booked and the terms state that you must have a card in good standing at time of travel. Depends what you are redeeming for I guess, but at $165.00/yr the taxes are brutal, availability is terrible unless you book a year out that it is less and less attractive. 30000 points is way easier to get with a free Amex gold card for 25000 and an Avion which will give at least 15000 for $120/yr plus a 50% transfer bonus regularly. Looks like you would get 47500 for $120 with more flexibility.
Thanks for the data points and info.

Btw, you can have the Avion FYF by calling in, but I would assume that would only be on new applications. If it were physically possible to get more MR points, I would, trust me

I value Avios @ 2cpp even given the taxes. Obviously I would never fly on BA metal. The key with BA is short haul redemptions on partner airlines. Namely AA/US. You can fly LGA/JFK-MIA for 15k + $11 tax. Great deal. You can also fly YYZ-LGA/JFK for 9k + $65 tax. Also a great deal.

The main factor with the BA card is that there would be no impact to my credit score. So it is effectively buying 30k @ 0.55cpp. I agree that there are many cards out there that provide much better than that (i.e. Amex Gold 25k @ FREEcpp) however, you can't compare this to that as that requires a new inquiry/tradeline and this does not.
Old May 12, 2015, 6:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
so even tho its only available on BA website right now, RBC may match it on a product switch if we call in?
Old May 12, 2015, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Cerenity
so even tho its only available on BA website right now, RBC may match it on a product switch if we call in?
I would think so. I'm sure RBC will have their website updated within a few days. I remember after the deal ended it wasn't removed immediately either.
Old May 12, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: CX, AF, UA
Originally Posted by zer0k1
The main factor with the BA card is that there would be no impact to my credit score...that requires a new inquiry/tradeline and this does not
What do you mean no impact on credit score? There is no inquiry for applying for this card?
Old May 12, 2015, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by winebug
What do you mean no impact on credit score? There is no inquiry for applying for this card?
I was referring to "product switching", which RBC allows you to do. You must already have an existing RBC card, no additional pull is required for switching and it does not effect how it is reported to the CB.
Old May 12, 2015, 8:28 pm

I was referring to "product switching", which RBC allows you to do. You must already have an existing RBC card, no additional pull is required for switching and it does not effect how it is reported to the CB.
Sounds great. Which other banks/cards allowing product switching with no pull?
Old May 12, 2015, 8:35 pm

Sounds great. Which other banks/cards allowing product switching with no pull?
I think that BMO does. MBNA claims they will in the future, although I am not sure if they also pull or not.
Old May 13, 2015, 6:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I think that BMO does. MBNA claims they will in the future, although I am not sure if they also pull or not.
TD does not do a pull for product transfer (or didn't for me), when i switched from a normal visa to their aeroplan visa infinite (i think it helped that i was preapproved for the required credit limit increase that the card needed).

Last edited by abari; May 13, 2015 at 6:17 am Reason: to clarify that td didn't pull
Old May 13, 2015, 8:31 am

i had a pull from TD despite doing a product switch to the infinite aeroplan and being preapproved. was not happy.
Old May 13, 2015, 8:55 am

I had a pull from TD for opening a checking account with no overdraft protection. Was very upset.
Old May 13, 2015, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by w000t
i had a pull from TD despite doing a product switch to the infinite aeroplan and being preapproved. was not happy.
Were you pre-approved for the credit limit increase as well? or just for the card? I'm wondering because i did the same thing and didn't have a pull.

I had a pull from TD for opening a checking account with no overdraft protection. Was very upset.
I thought it was standard for a credit pull when opening a chequing account with a new bank?
Old May 13, 2015, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by w000t
Yeah, when you read on various forums online, seems TD got the better part of screwing up lately.
Old May 13, 2015, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by abari
...I thought it was standard for a credit pull when opening a chequing account with a new bank?
No, unless you request a credit product, or want cheques deposited into the account immediately available during the first month of account opening instead of waiting 7 days, banks have no reason to do a pull other then hitting your score.

Watch it when you sign the papers you tick the box you do not want credit pulled and do not want any credit products (having a cheque immediately available upon deposit is considered a credit product believe it or not).

Bankers think it is good to hard pull you on account opening, and don't mention it is hidden deep in their T&C.

If you want to make 100% sure, don't give your social insurance number. Yes, they can open an account without your number ... you're just limited in your movements during the first month.

Legally they can not force you to accept the hard pull, but they can refuse you to open an account.

Just argue your way and point them to the bad consequences of their action, you're just opening to park money kind of thing (and do it) and don't need credit products. The after opening, ask for the credit card, or wait 6-9 months parking a steady amount every month to get a pre-approval. Usually works.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:14 am

No, unless you request a credit product, or want cheques deposited into the account immediately available during the first month of account opening instead of waiting 7 days, banks have no reason to do a pull other then hitting your score.

Watch it when you sign the papers you tick the box you do not want credit pulled and do not want any credit products (having a cheque immediately available upon deposit is considered a credit product believe it or not).

Bankers think it is good to hard pull you on account opening, and don't mention it is hidden deep in their T&C.

If you want to make 100% sure, don't give your social insurance number. Yes, they can open an account without your number ... you're just limited in your movements during the first month.

Legally they can not force you to accept the hard pull, but they can refuse you to open an account.

Just argue your way and point them to the bad consequences of their action, you're just opening to park money kind of thing (and do it) and don't need credit products. The after opening, ask for the credit card, or wait 6-9 months parking a steady amount every month to get a pre-approval. Usually works.
Hmm interesting, never knew that. I guess it makes sense, if you don't want a credit product they shouldn't care what your credit report is like. Thanks for the info.
Old May 13, 2015, 1:08 pm

The $100 bonus from Coast Capital chequing account requires a hard pull through the online application. Took a 2 point hit to EQ score

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.