MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2015, 7:32 am

Cashback boost on TD Visa Infinite: $60 via GCR

TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite: $60 (instead of $50) cashback via GCR (Cash Back Boost until Jun 30)
TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite: $60 via GCR (Cash Back Boost until Jun 30)
Old May 1, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by tommy99
However, as a long term, gradual method to accrue points it is a nice option. I use it for SPG points with my Amex SPG card. Also, the Amex gold business card has partnered with Plastiq as a supplier so you can get double MR points on purchases.

Saying all this, my experience has been a bit of a struggle. Their website isn't polished and I have had a lot of chats with their tech department to get payments to flow. Also, Amex has its own problems. They indicate Plastiq is a supplier on their public site but you can't select them once into your account. I now have an arrangement where they need to process all Plastiq bonus points manually.
Great post, and thanks for the info sharing.

I'd love to tie in my new Biz Gold to Plastiq as one of the 3 suppliers, and would be willing to eat the associated 'costs' of reaching the hefty $5K minimum spend by using it to open 'doors' for payment by my Amex card where it normally would not be accepted. Property taxes would be a great avenue to channel this onto.

Unfortunately, not all municipalities accept Plastiq so that is a no-go for me. I do see more and more property taxes listing Plastiq as a payment, so will keep this option open for the future, on my next churn, assuming the promo conditions are the same/similar and my municipalities partners with Plastiq.

Anyone used the Plastiq promo to pay for their CRA payments? 1% special with a registered Mastercard (not for Amex, unfortunately).
http://www.plastiq.com/cra
Setup a 2% earning MC and you'd come out ahead...could be worthwhile if you have a large payment to make.
Old May 1, 2015, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite: $60 (instead of $50) cashback via GCR (Cash Back Boost until Jun 30)
Great! We have several 'stalled' applications that couldn't be pushed through due to their broken online application systems. Time to try again! An extra $10 to soothe the ensuing aggravation of having to call and deal with TD ineptitude.

Plus, this closes the gap between GCR and RFD's $70 cash back offer on the same offer. We have gone through RFD, but their cash back system is relatively wonky, so we prefer the GCR route.

Note that the current TD T&C still lists the current FYF promo with an expiry of May 8th (May 7th on the GCR launch page). Not sure if this is an early indicator that the promo will be extended, till Jun 30th. To be safe, you should probably try to get the application approved well before the listed May 7th/8th deadline.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:35 am

With the cashback boost to 60, should refer my wife to GCR. 15 percent referral bonus to me, so 60*1.15 gets us within spitting distance of RFD, although technically split over two accounts
Old May 1, 2015, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
With the cashback boost to 60, should refer my wife to GCR. 15 percent referral bonus to me, so 60*1.15 gets us within spitting distance of RFD, although technically split over two accounts
Exactly!

BTW, GCR has updated the expiry on their TD Aero signup page to Aug 31st. TD still lists it as May 8th. Stay tuned.
Old May 1, 2015, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Anyone used the Plastiq promo to pay for their CRA payments? 1% special with a registered Mastercard (not for Amex, unfortunately).
http://www.plastiq.com/cra
Setup a 2% earning MC and you'd come out ahead...could be worthwhile if you have a large payment to make.
Someone on RFD did use Plastiq for CRA, used Aspire Travel (2% return)

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Exactly!

BTW, GCR has updated the expiry on their TD Aero signup page to Aug 31st. TD still lists it as May 8th. Stay tuned.
If only TD could fix their online application as well...it's a nightmare still, from what I read

NEW PRODUCT/OFFER
CIBC Aerogold Visa Card for Your Business

20K Aeroplan after 1st purchase
$180 fee waived FYF
Offer expires 8/31/2015, so no rush

You're a Permanent Canadian resident and you have reached the age of majority in your province
You haven't declared bankruptcy in the past 7 years
You have a minimum household annual income (gross) of $35,000. If not, please choose a different card
You have been operating a business for at least 12 months
Old May 3, 2015, 10:17 pm

NEW PRODUCT/OFFER

$180 fee waived FYF
Offer expires 8/31/2015, so no rush[/QUOTE]

What requirements/information do they look for when it comes to your business?
Old May 4, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by jerryhung
NEW PRODUCT/OFFER

$180 fee waived FYF
Offer expires 8/31/2015, so no rush
Thank you for posting that!
Old May 4, 2015, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by bjywong
What requirements/information do they look for when it comes to your business?
Try it yourself

It asked business name, income, profit, % of ownership, # of owners

This is on top of Personal income section also
Old May 4, 2015, 5:54 pm

Nobody post about the BMO World Master Card? 1st year free, $300 travel credit?
Old May 4, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Officially cancelled my AMEX Platinum and now I feel naked.

Time to look for a new product other than the Momentum Infinite.

Anyone have the Amazon Chase VISA? No US Forex?!
Old May 5, 2015, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by flipstah

There are tons of CC, no worries

Yes, Chase Amazon/Marriott (50K signup bonus) has no Forex, not just USD
Old May 5, 2015, 4:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club

Shockingly, this will be the first annual fee credit card that I not only renewed, but carried to expiration (although ... now that I think about it , I think my Amex AeroPlat was the same). My card expires shortly and sadly I'll finally get a chip (I liked the simplicity of the old card)... on the other hand, it'll finally be usable in Europe, which is permeated with chip & pin.

Priority Pass remains a godsend, too. The dnata lounge in Changi is about 1,000x better than the SQ lounge for te Star Allinance riffraff *cough* elites. It has - get this - toilets!!!
Old May 5, 2015, 10:30 am

I got the Amazon Visa just a few months ago, and use it for all of my US charges (which includes a regular monthly subscription charge). It will also be my card for travel to the US.......in short, it's worthwhile for me to hang on to it.
Old May 5, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Shockingly, this will be the first annual fee credit card that I not only renewed, but carried to expiration (although ... now that I think about it , I think my Amex AeroPlat was the same). My card expires shortly and sadly I'll finally get a chip (I liked the simplicity of the old card)... on the other hand, it'll finally be usable in Europe, which is permeated with chip & pin.

Priority Pass remains a godsend, too. The dnata lounge in Changi is about 1,000x better than the SQ lounge for te Star Allinance riffraff *cough* elites. It has - get this - toilets!!!
Priority Pass is worth their weight when you have layovers; showers, complimentary snack/meal...

Changi is a nice airport all over. Surprised you didn't wander!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.