MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: CX, AF, UA
Originally Posted by crimsona
The $100 bonus from Coast Capital chequing account requires a hard pull through the online application. Took a 2 point hit to EQ score
They pay you for the score drop

Probably going off-topic here.

Seriously, first hand experience, if you're not happy with it, file a complaint with the ombudsman saying this was forced upon you under duress (without leaving another option) and you would not have accepted the hard pull should the financial institution have been upfront it was doing a hard pull, including a statement you did not request any credit from them (provided that is the case) and therefore refute the pulls.

Do not contest through equifax or put a consumer statement that you didn't request credit from them, that's "guaranteed" trouble for your score.

The ombudsman takes some time (count ± 6 months), and you won't see a score jump back overnight, but it is the only way to get financial institutions to behave towards credit files, and that financial institution to know you're not to mess with.

Should be like in the US, maximum 30 days complaint resolution, or else removed from the file forever after (I read that somewhere, don't know first had if that is true).
Old May 13, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by zer0k1
I think that BMO does. MBNA claims they will in the future, although I am not sure if they also pull or not.
I've done a fair number of product switches with TD, CIBC, BMO and MBNA. I don't believe any of them resulted in a HP, at least I don't see them in my EQ report. They are the same asset/account/trade line in your credit file, even though it may be a new CC number, so the switch should have no affect on your score. I would try to get a verbal confirmation that there would be no affect to my credit score when I request the product change, but as per other people's reports, you could still get a pull...in this case I would call back and get them to re-play the conversation that assured there would be no credit pull, and have the FI submit a request to cancel/nullify the HP.

As for pre-approved offers, not all of them come with a guarantee that you will not get a HP, so again it's best to ask for confirmation. Personally, I've avoided several pulls with my pre-approves, but then when the new accounts are reported to the bureaus, then the score will eventually drop.

Originally Posted by winebug
No, unless you request a credit product, or want cheques deposited into the account immediately available during the first month of account opening instead of waiting 7 days, banks have no reason to do a pull other then hitting your score.

Watch it when you sign the papers you tick the box you do not want credit pulled and do not want any credit products (having a cheque immediately available upon deposit is considered a credit product believe it or not).

Bankers think it is good to hard pull you on account opening, and don't mention it is hidden deep in their T&C.

This is good info, thanks for posting!
Old May 13, 2015, 2:44 pm

Seriously, first hand experience, if you're not happy with it, file a complaint with the ombudsman saying this was forced upon you under duress (without leaving another option) and you would not have accepted the hard pull should the financial institution have been upfront it was doing a hard pull, including a statement you did not request any credit from them (provided that is the case) and therefore refute the pulls.
My score has gone up by 2 points since (possibly due to other reasons), so I'm back to where I was. It's really not a big deal.
Old May 13, 2015, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by kay sedia
I have switched RBC products numerous times now and always got whatever bonus was advertised. I've have maintained BA for about 5 years for the first/business class companion pass and also rotate between Avion(15000), WestJet($250 westjet dollars + companion pass, and Shoppers(free but comes with optimum points)). In my opinion the value of BA has really decreased and am going to focus on Avion due to transfer bonuses to American who has way lower taxes than BA, or to BA if you want. I would actually cancel my BA but I have trips booked and the terms state that you must have a card in good standing at time of travel. Depends what you are redeeming for I guess, but at $165.00/yr the taxes are brutal, availability is terrible unless you book a year out that it is less and less attractive. 30000 points is way easier to get with a free Amex gold card for 25000 and an Avion which will give at least 15000 for $120/yr plus a 50% transfer bonus regularly. Looks like you would get 47500 for $120 with more flexibility.
The upgrade/downgrade card transfer trick is a great way to churn cards with the credit card accounts you already hold, to avoid pulls but also ensure you get a sign-up bonus! I have done this successfully with BMO, CIBC and now RBC. I know sometimes that certain sign-up bonuses are only good for new applicants/banking customers (CIBC, in particular, seems to have a lot of these deals to draw new customers), which is why it's always good to call to do the transfer (although, RBC appears to be the only bank that allows the online transfers).

FWIW, I get AMAZING value with my Avios, so I churn ANY card that I can get Avios out of! If I hadn't already upgraded to the Avion card with RBC, I may have gone back to the BA Visa! When I originally opened my RBC CC account in 2012, it was with a BA Visa when they had a 50,000 sign up bonus! That was quite the score! Paid for two tickets to Hawaii!
Old May 13, 2015, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by abari
Were you pre-approved for the credit limit increase as well? or just for the card? I'm wondering because i did the same thing and didn't have a pull.
i can't remember but the agent made no mention that they were going to do a credit check at any point during the call. i only applied through the phone because the application (via GCR) fails if you select existing customer and tell you to visit a branch. had i knew they were going to do a hard pull, i would've just chose new applicant instead and save myself from the headache of trying to get the rebate later
Old May 13, 2015, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
The upgrade/downgrade card transfer trick is a great way to churn cards with the credit card accounts you already hold, to avoid pulls but also ensure you get a sign-up bonus! I have done this successfully with BMO, CIBC and now RBC. I know sometimes that certain sign-up bonuses are only good for new applicants/banking customers (CIBC, in particular, seems to have a lot of these deals to draw new customers), which is why it's always good to call to do the transfer (although, RBC appears to be the only bank that allows the online transfers).

FWIW, I get AMAZING value with my Avios, so I churn ANY card that I can get Avios out of! If I hadn't already upgraded to the Avion card with RBC, I may have gone back to the BA Visa! When I originally opened my RBC CC account in 2012, it was with a BA Visa when they had a 50,000 sign up bonus! That was quite the score! Paid for two tickets to Hawaii!
I can't find the RBC page that does the online transfers, could you please send a link/advise?
Old May 13, 2015, 4:36 pm

Thumbs down Disappointed with RBC

Originally Posted by pokee

Pokee: Can you elaborate on the up/down-grade issue, and receiving a bonus? I downgraded from RBC Avion to Gold Rewards last year, after being assured that I would not lose the use of my points. I then found out that it's NOT possible to transfer points to AA or BA under the Gold card. I called RBC back to ask for resolution, and despite a lengthy conversation they were willing to do nothing other than inviting me to upgrade back to the Avion -- with no bonus and no AF waiver. They wouldn't even waive the AF.
Old May 13, 2015, 4:39 pm

My score has gone up by 2 points since (possibly due to other reasons), so I'm back to where I was. It's really not a big deal.
People not caring enough is why FI get away with it in the first place...
Old May 13, 2015, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Genouver
Pokee: Can you elaborate on the up/down-grade issue, and receiving a bonus? I downgraded from RBC Avion to Gold Rewards last year, after being assured that I would not lose the use of my points. I then found out that it's NOT possible to transfer points to AA or BA under the Gold card. I called RBC back to ask for resolution, and despite a lengthy conversation they were willing to do nothing other than inviting me to upgrade back to the Avion -- with no bonus and no AF waiver. They wouldn't even waive the AF.
The key in your upgrade/downgrade is to always transfer out all of your points first, before downgrading your card (if you cannot keep your points account active in another way - like with Aeroplan, for example). I think in your case, you got bad advice as I think Gold Rewards is RBC Rewards points, NOT Avion points. Different programs.

These were my RBC upgrades/downgrades:

2012/2013-Applied for new BA Visa. $165 annual fee; 50,000 bonus Avios
2014-Downgraded to an RBC Target Redcard Mastercard (no AF)
2015-Upgraded to an RBC Avion Visa. $120 Annual fee; 15,000 bonus Avion Points.

Plan to downgrade in 2016 to a no fee card I've never held; and then upgrade in 2017 to a BA Visa. This leaves at least 4 years in between each card with bonuses which improves my chances of getting the bonus points each time.
Old May 13, 2015, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by zer0k1
I can't find the RBC page that does the online transfers, could you please send a link/advise?
If you are logged into your credit card account, you should see "Account Details" and underneath that "Switch a Credit Card" in the top, left corner.
Old May 14, 2015, 9:55 am

When you're traveling abroad, are there any credit cards that have low fees and low currency fees to withdraw money from foreign cash machines? What's the best strategy to have access to cash as and when needed on holiday abroad?
Old May 14, 2015, 10:27 am

When you're traveling abroad, are there any credit cards that have low fees and low currency fees to withdraw money from foreign cash machines? What's the best strategy to have access to cash as and when needed on holiday abroad?
I think the only canadian CC without foreign fees is Chase Marriot. I am not sure how their exchange rate compares to other CC but I don't beleive they differ too much.
Old May 14, 2015, 10:33 am

Chase Amazon Visa and Chase Sears Mastercard have the same fee waiver
Old May 14, 2015, 11:10 am

Chase Amazon Visa and Chase Sears Mastercard have the same fee waiver
The Amazon Visa is great, too, because it doesn't have an annual fee, and you get 1% cash credit (when you hit $2000 in purchases as a $20 credit on your account). I have both this and the Marriott card. I always like a back-up!
Old May 14, 2015, 11:12 am

I use the Chase Marriott Visa for purchases abroad because it doesn't have exchange fees but I still use a debit card for cash withdrawals. ATM withdrawals using CC do not give you points/miles/etc and interest is charged right away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.