MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by entropy
Anyone have experience attempting to or transferring RBC avion points to a different RBC avion cardholder (Person X -> Person Y, where X and Y are not in the same household?)
Yes. Use a family Esso Extra account as the conduit.

Last edited by nabeelj; Jun 10, 2015 at 11:55 am
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by entropy
Anyone have experience attempting to or transferring RBC avion points to a different RBC avion cardholder (Person X -> Person Y, where X and Y are not in the same household?)
I don't think this is a transfer option. You're better off anyway transferring to Avios and then setting up a household account with BA. Works like a charm! One of the many benefits of using Avios over any other program...
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Well the Capital One Delta card is toast. I was considering it too, pretty good redemption for flights to French Polynesia via AF.

It was there 2 days ago, it still shows up in Google searches.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: CX, AF, UA
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Well the Capital One Delta card is toast. I was considering it too, pretty good redemption for flights to French Polynesia via AF.

WHAT ???
Well, that leaves only Alaska with a credit card directly earning miles in Canada, For the rest there are only conversion cards and cash for travel cards.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 7:08 pm

Not surprised, I was working the #'s and for my FP flights via Air France I was getting 4% per $ spent. At least I didn't have miles stuck there, SPG ->DM is horrible so I'll give up French Polynesia as a destination. Horribly $$$$$$ anyhow. It's $450 for the 3 of us just to do 2 morning scuba dives, $1600 to fly out of PPT to the attols and accommodation...well you sure don't get much for your $. I'll stick to 3 weeks in Bali and live it up instead.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 7:50 pm

On the subject of doing app-o-rama's all in one go and the benefit of it, here is what I learned based on Equifax only (I don't have TU online, so can't judge immediate impacts etc.)

As soon as a hard credit check has been performed for 1 card, the second after it shows up on your credit file and subsequent checks of other financial institutions know about it. It does not take them 24 hours, it takes 1 second/instant.

Traditionally it is believed that doing 1 check per week shows one is a credit seeker, instead of doing 4 on 1 day where one would not be seen as a credit seeker. I’m not so sure.

I've been declined on a number of occasions, and the reason was not credit serviceability of past known credit or income, but either not enough time between credit checks or unable to assess credit serviceability of the recent credit checks (i.e. that same day, whether they’re approved and for how much). Some cards apparently want to see 6 months between apps, others at least 3, others no credit checks that same day, others don't care. I think it is also safe to say in general a very high end or highly sought card or certain promotions will be more likely to require 6 months, medium cards more likely 3 months, etc.

In our app-o-rama's it would be useful for people to post their list of straight accepted, call-in accepted, declined and reason, AND order in which applied.

It might be useful to start app-o-rama's in order of card requirements rather then in order of card perks wish/importance. True, they often go hand in hand, but not always, and importance of a card varies by personal preference more then by FI requirements to obtain the card.

From experience, I would start with the high end cards of C1 OR BMO OR Chase (I've only ever had 1 of them approved in 1 AoR, but 3-6 months later have had the other fly through when done in first position), then TD, CIBC, Scotiabank, etc. Then the lower cards such as retailers.

Having said all that, I have to say that my Equifax score has dropped less with spaced out apps then with AoR's in 1 day. Over 1 week following the AoR of 3 Equifax cards in 1 day, I'd see my score drop 3 times totalling 8 to 10 points. When spaced out, it would be dropping for every application between 0 and 2 points.

Spacing out applications to 1 per week does have the limiting effect for higher end cards that require 3 to 6 months of no checks though, and it is more efficient to do everything in 1 go. So I’ll keep doing them all in 1 day I think rather then what I did before to space them out. The apparent 3-6 points difference is not the world, but I wonder how FI really see/interprete AoR in 1 day versus spread out.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by winebug
I've been declined on a number of occasions, and the reason was not credit serviceability of past known credit or income, but either not enough time between credit checks or unable to assess credit serviceability of the recent credit checks (i.e. that same day, whether they’re approved and for how much). Some cards apparently want to see 6 months between apps, others at least 3, others no credit checks that same day, others don't care. I think it is also safe to say in general a very high end or highly sought card or certain promotions will be more likely to require 6 months, medium cards more likely 3 months, etc.

In our app-o-rama's it would be useful for people to post their list of straight accepted, call-in accepted, declined and reason, AND order in which applied.

It might be useful to start app-o-rama's in order of card requirements rather then in order of card perks wish/importance. True, they often go hand in hand, but not always, and importance of a card varies by personal preference more then by FI requirements to obtain the card.

From experience, I would start with the high end cards of C1 OR BMO OR Chase (I've only ever had 1 of them approved in 1 AoR, but 3-6 months later have had the other fly through when done in first position), then TD, CIBC, Scotiabank, etc. Then the lower cards such as retailers.
Interesting; last time I applied for the Chase Marriott Visa I think I was declined for reasons similar to the above - I had one hard pull in the preceding month. I agree that it would be useful to know more about each card's requirements in this regard, if at all possible.

I was thinking of applying again for the Chase Marriott Visa in my upcoming app-o-rama, would it therefore be advisable to do it in the order of Chase -> TD -> Amex -> MBNA? (Assuming I'm unsuccessful in using product switches to get the TD and MBNA cards I want).
Old Jun 12, 2015, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by flyer05
Interesting; last time I applied for the Chase Marriott Visa I think I was declined for reasons similar to the above - I had one hard pull in the preceding month. I agree that it would be useful to know more about each card's requirements in this regard, if at all possible.

I was thinking of applying again for the Chase Marriott Visa in my upcoming app-o-rama, would it therefore be advisable to do it in the order of Chase -> TD -> Amex -> MBNA? (Assuming I'm unsuccessful in using product switches to get the TD and MBNA cards I want).
With TD taking over MBNA, I don't know how easy or hard it is to get approved at MBNA. A complaints handler a couple of weeks ago mentioned he has to report to his boss at TD.

If you have been with Amex in the past, or even better are now, it should be like a walk in the park getting approved with them. I always do them last.

I would do chase -> TD/MBNA in order of level of card requirements -> Amex
Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by winebug
Originally Posted by flyer05

With TD taking over MBNA, I don't know how easy or hard it is to get approved at MBNA. A complaints handler a couple of weeks ago mentioned he has to report to his boss at TD.

If you have been with Amex in the past, or even better are now, it should be like a walk in the park getting approved with them. I always do them last.

I would do chase -> TD/MBNA in order of level of card requirements -> Amex
I disagree TD is more difficult that Chase
Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:17 am

I wonder how they're dealing with existing cards, particularly ones just issued. I received my card a couple days ago and am still waiting for the PIN so haven't activated it yet....
Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Would be wonderful to have the details of your experience, and why you think TD is more difficult then Chase?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:10 am

Not surprised, I was working the #'s and for my FP flights via Air France I was getting 4% per $ spent. At least I didn't have miles stuck there, SPG ->DM is horrible so I'll give up French Polynesia as a destination. Horribly $$$$$$ anyhow. It's $450 for the 3 of us just to do 2 morning scuba dives, $1600 to fly out of PPT to the attols and accommodation...well you sure don't get much for your $. I'll stick to 3 weeks in Bali and live it up instead.
Poor you!

Eat as much babi guling (if you can eat pork) as you can. My biggest regret from Bali is only having eaten it once.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Disagree.
Both my wife and I have been declined in the past by Chase due to too many apps in the last year. Have never been declined for any other card, ever.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Poor you!

Eat as much babi guling (if you can eat pork) as you can. My biggest regret from Bali is only having eaten it once.
Noted!
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by claurianta2
I wonder how they're dealing with existing cards, particularly ones just issued. I received my card a couple days ago and am still waiting for the PIN so haven't activated it yet....
If it were me I would be worried that they would pull the rug at some point leaving you with only Amex MR to fund your Deltamiles account and at a 1-.75 ratio

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.