MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: CX, AF, UA
Amex offers referral bonuses for referring its cards and getting more people signed up. I'm wondering, can you get such referral bonuses for other cards too? Such as the TD aeroplan or Chase Marriott for example? I mean, bloggers and web sites get something out of it, why would we not if we reference to spouses, family, etc?
Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Anyone have any idea what happened to the CapOne Delta card?
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by winebug
Amex offers referral bonuses for referring its cards and getting more people signed up. I'm wondering, can you get such referral bonuses for other cards too? Such as the TD aeroplan or Chase Marriott for example? I mean, bloggers and web sites get something out of it, why would we not if we reference to spouses, family, etc?
AFAIK, no other non-AMEX cards offer any referral incentives. Instead, it's just cashbacks via affiliates sites like RFD/GCR

Originally Posted by entropy
Anyone have any idea what happened to the CapOne Delta card?
It's discontinued
http://blog.rewardscanada.ca/2015/06...s-capital.html
Biggest news from last week is that Delta SkyMiles® & Capital One® have mutually agreed to end their co-brand relationship. This means the Delta SkyMiles® MasterCards® from Capital One® have been discontinued.

That leaves the following cards as your options to earn SkyMiles in Canada:
American Express Gold Rewards Card (C$1 = .75 - 1.5 SkyMiles)
The Platinum Card from American Express (C$1 = .93 SkyMiles)
Diners Club Club Rewards MasterCard (C$1 = 0.80 SkyMiles)
Marriott Rewards Premier Visa (C$1 = 0.2 - 0.35 SkyMiles)
MBNA Best Western Rewards MasterCard (C$1= 0.30 SkyMiles)
Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express (C$1 = 1 SkyMile)

No word yet on whether Delta is shopping around for another card issuer. This isn't the first time a major U.S. Airline has left our market. A few years back American AAdvantage and TD parted ways. What can we say, our market is tough nut to crack! Outside of Aeroplan, AIR MILES, WestJet and our proprietary credit card programs there isn't a huge market. Sure you have niche markets like British Airways and Cathay Pacific but they don't get much of the pie. I am working on a proposal for a non-North American airline that is interested in launching a card here and all I can say it would be tough to gain market share outside of the niche market of ex-pats who would want to visit friends and family back in the home country. I would be suspect to believe that the Delta cards didn't even have that niche, just loyal SkyMiles® members since Air Canada and WestJet cover a lot of travel to the U.S. and Air Canada/Aeroplan alone have a big chunk of the International market.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
aaaaa

Last edited by Cphil1; Jun 20, 2015 at 2:56 pm
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Biggest news from last week is that Delta SkyMiles® & Capital One® have mutually agreed to end their co-brand relationship. This means the Delta SkyMiles® MasterCards® from Capital One® have been discontinued.
Its too bad... @ 2:$1, it was a great way to earn skypesos, which despite the meh value on DL, were useful on partners. 125k for a RT in C to europe on AZ for example (and they did have availability) for 62.5k spend,...
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:20 pm

Just noticed this on Amazon.ca, not sure if it has been mentioned before:

http://www.amazon.ca/compare-canada-...ode=3230544011

They offer gc for signing up for various CCs through them. This is good people that I recommend to sign up for the no-fee CIBC div card, for people with no credit who already bank with CIBC its a good way to build credit and keep things simple. Amazon offers a $30 gc

Otherwise none of these offers are worth it imo. But maybe they'll get more aggressive
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, BA, AC, CX, AS, DL, AF(gold), IHG(plt), SPG(gold), HHONORS, .
DL C.C. discontinues

Originally Posted by jerryhung
AFAIK, no other non-AMEX cards offer any referral incentives. Instead, it's just cashbacks via affiliates sites like RFD/GCR

It's discontinued
http://blog.rewardscanada.ca/2015/06...s-capital.html
Re your comment about the DL C.C.
Maybe this is also the reason why we in Canada don't have a Hilton/Hhonors affiliated
credit card.( All other major hotel chains have one ).
Michael
Old Jun 22, 2015, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by zer0k1
Just noticed this on Amazon.ca, not sure if it has been mentioned before:

http://www.amazon.ca/compare-canada-...ode=3230544011

They offer gc for signing up for various CCs through them. This is good people that I recommend to sign up for the no-fee CIBC div card, for people with no credit who already bank with CIBC its a good way to build credit and keep things simple. Amazon offers a $30 gc

Otherwise none of these offers are worth it imo. But maybe they'll get more aggressive
It's been here for a while. When looking for the best Cashback/Giftcard offer for a CC signup, here's where I look:
Old Jun 22, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, FPC Plat
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Anyone get denied for a new MBNA card application? It's because of applying for too many cards via your credit report/score.

Odd thing is I got the Alaska card, my wife got denied. She makes way more than I do, she got the CIBC Aerobiz last week, a basic Amex Aeroplan card 2 months ago and cancelled 2 Amex cards last week (another mistake?).
Oddly her SPG application required proof of income, applied the day before the MBNA app (mistake in timing?)

I got a biz SPG 2 weeks ago, basic Amex 2 months ago and the Alaska card last week. I cancelled the personal Amex gold card 2 months ago.

I'm wondering when can she reapply if at all? This is totally new territory to me.
I didn’t get denied, but I did have a somewhat interesting experience getting my Alaska MBNA card recently.

Context: My credit score is rated ‘excellent’, I have a reasonably high income and I haven’t had any trouble with credit card apps to date - mostly Amex and TD aeroplan.

I had two existing MBNA accounts that were somewhat dormant - a $0 annual fee platinum plus and a line of credit. I was approved for the Alaska account after a slight delay with a $5k limit. I figured all was good. I then went to regain access to my online account for the platinum plus account and after a couple phone calls found out MBNA had cancelled this account as well as my LOC to make room for the Alaska card. I wasn’t too fussed as they really were dormant accounts but it was still a bit of a shock. No warning, no rationale and no communication, they just went ahead and did it. A bit of a head scratcher to me.

Maybe too much existing credit capacity? Possibly something to do with transitioning to TD? Both accounts were initiated pre-merger.

Could be a similar situation with your wife. Certainly put me at a bit of unease for future apps with MBNA.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: CX, AF, UA
Originally Posted by MJ777
I didn’t get denied, but I did have a somewhat interesting experience getting my Alaska MBNA card recently.

Context: My credit score is rated ‘excellent’, I have a reasonably high income and I haven’t had any trouble with credit card apps to date - mostly Amex and TD aeroplan.

I had two existing MBNA accounts that were somewhat dormant - a $0 annual fee platinum plus and a line of credit. I was approved for the Alaska account after a slight delay with a $5k limit. I figured all was good. I then went to regain access to my online account for the platinum plus account and after a couple phone calls found out MBNA had cancelled this account as well as my LOC to make room for the Alaska card. I wasn’t too fussed as they really were dormant accounts but it was still a bit of a shock. No warning, no rationale and no communication, they just went ahead and did it. A bit of a head scratcher to me.

Maybe too much existing credit capacity? Possibly something to do with transitioning to TD? Both accounts were initiated pre-merger.

Could be a similar situation with your wife. Certainly put me at a bit of unease for future apps with MBNA.
Sadly, your experience is not isolated to MBNA. To my knowledge, every financial institution has in its T&C they can reallocate your credit lines and amount as they see fit without prior warning. It is one of the downsides of credit churning which most people are unaware of.

Another FI "trick" is that if you have a 0% card and a 20% card with the same FI they can decide overnight to put everything on the 20% card and close the 0% one without warning you. There are a couple obscure rules on when they can do this, but bottom line, they can and will if it works out for them.

And the worst trick is, if you set up a direct debit, they can self serve as they see fit. Or, if you have savings at the same FI, they can self-serve in these savings as they see fit.

99.99% of the time these do not happen when you pay everything in time. 0.01% of the time it does happen when they get panicked from credit file information they don't like.

Sounds in your case they might not have liked some combinations (credit file vs credit use with them), and decided to give you a sweet (the card you wanted) in order to close the rest (you don't use much) without getting in a fight.

Stay alert.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, FPC Plat
Thanks Winebug - Makes sense and a good lesson to keep alert indeed. I suppose I assumed in this case they'd give a courtesy call before taking this kind of action. All good for me but I can see how this could turn into a tough situation for someone in different circumstances.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Did I get this right, the only way to earn 100% miles on a deepest-discount flight is for AA?

AC is 50%, so is BA, AA appears to be 100% regardless of what airline you fly with? (AA or BA)

(well, and Delta Skymiles is a mess with 5x ticket price for lowest status members, which is basically like 50% of distance miles on the itinerary I'm looking at - even less on partners)
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Did I get this right, the only way to earn 100% miles on a deepest-discount flight is for AA?
Until they change to a revenue-based model like DL and UA.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Until they change to a revenue-based model like DL and UA.
Is that predicted to happen? Do we know that it'll downgrade the miles earned? (e.g. will they retain roughly their value, to e.g. a 1k dollar 2k mile flight going from 1 mile earned/mile travelled to 2miles earned/1 dollar spent, or will they lose value like DL?)
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Is that predicted to happen?
Many people think it's just a matter of time.

Do we know that it'll downgrade the miles earned?
When was the last time any frequent flyer change was favorable to low-value flyers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.