MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by onlycat
Hi, I am new here. Just wonder how to use Aeroplan on Eva or Thai?

Also when I try to book stopover YVR-Paris, it only allowed LHR and cost more than don't select own stopover. (on BA website)

Thanks
When you book on the Aeroplan site from YVR to TPE or BKK, it will give you Eva Air and Thai Airways options.

Yes, stopovers cost more with BA. If you want to stop in Paris to go to LHR, then try booking with Aeroplan.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by loun80
OK. What do you think of this plan?

- Convert 40,000 AMEX points to receive 30,000 Asia Miles to top up my Asia Miles balance to 80,000. Use this 80,000 for YVR-NRT RT on JAL business class.

- NRT-BKK RT with a layover in SGN for 30,000 Aeroplan miles with Asiana and Thai Air in J.

- While in BKK, do a BKK-HKG RT from for 30,000 Avios with Cathay in J.
Sounds like you have it figured out already. The intra-Asia Aeroplan J award is amazing value.

I had to do a double check....is it only 80k Asia Miles RT in J YVR-NRT? That's amazing value. Is there a catch?

Edit: Just did a quick check on the Asia Miles award chart. Looks like the one world partner chart is showing points required for total miles flown, not just the distance between cities. YVR and NRT are ~4700 miles apart = 9400 miles distance flown. that bumps you up to award zone 7 which requires 95k Asia Miles for a RT ticket. Better than Aeroplan for J. So you'd need to transfer 60k Amex points. Which brings you to a total of 110k "points" vs. 150k Aeroplan requirement for the same flight. BUT....you may to loop in a few of those other cities you plan on visiting on one Aeroplan award rather than having to spend the extra 30k Avios and 30k Aeroplan for those side trips.

Before I go further, though, this discussion shouldn't be on the Milesbuzz board (mainly to talk about credit card offers in Canada).

Last edited by grandgourmand; Jun 24, 2015 at 7:25 pm
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by gspurr
As someone who makes United MP 1K based on miles flown (PQM) and not spend with United (which Americans have to do)
People with a U.S. address need to do both.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: AMEX, AEROPLAN
When you book on the Aeroplan site from YVR to TPE or BKK, it will give you Eva Air and Thai Airways options.

Yes, stopovers cost more with BA. If you want to stop in Paris to go to LHR, then try booking with Aeroplan.
Thanks^
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan

I am flying out of YVR and some of the cities I want to go to in priority order are:

Bangkok
Ho Chi Minh City
Berlin/Frankfurt
Barcelona/Madrid
Paris
Hong Kong
Tokyo

I don't need go to all cities but going to 3 or 4 of them would be nice.
Hello,

I'm currently doing a trip in Asia visiting 3 cities on the same ticket : Bangkok, Shanghai and Seoul. I used 150k Aeroplan for a ticket in Business. The routing is YUL-BKK (via IST with TK), BKK-PVG with TG, PVG-ICT with OZ and finally ICT-YUL via LAX with OZ and AC

I'm not an expert so I used the service of http://canadiankilometers.boardingar...an-kilometers/ very professional. I gave him the cities I wanted to visit with the approx. dates and he build an routing.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:37 pm

$100 Gift Card for TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite via https://www.ratesupermarket.ca/deals/td/100/ (apply before July 31st)
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by winebug
Tried it, doesn't work.

Apparently they check in your BA account:
- country needs to be Canada
- name needs to be the same
- birthdate needs to be the same.

Create a family BA Avios account and move them around.

Points will automatically return to your account within 24 hours, at least it did in my case.
if both have an avion, move RBC to pooled joint esso account then since both persons can use the esso points, move to second persons RBC avion then to BA.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 4:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Canada Amex MR has a 25% bonus on transfers to Avios

http://catalogue.membershiprewards.c...r_participants
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by martyYYZ

Is this a promo? Or is this the new going rate?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:27 am
alc

Originally Posted by erwintok
Is this a promo? Or is this the new going rate?
Here is the thread that talk about this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...25-2015-a.html
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:00 am

YES! The day has finally come! I've been waiting about 2 years.

Last edited by loun80; Jun 26, 2015 at 11:36 am Reason: Waited for about 2 years!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: AMEX, AEROPLAN
YES! The day has finally come! I've been waiting about 2 years.
So it must be a good deal then?! I am just planning to transfer some points to get a one way BA tik.^
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by onlycat
So it must be a good deal then?! I am just planning to transfer some points to get a one way BA tik.^
Well, the deal isn't go great anymore unless you only travel in economy class as the BA devalued their Avios in April 2015.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by winebug
Has anyone been declined on the CIBC business aeroplan? Does anyone know how much time it needs without credit check and minimum score?
Mine is just below 700, and I got approved...Applied, called the next day, was asked about the kind of business I have. Done deal.More free points ^
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:31 am

Avios transfers don't excite me... for Europe , Avios are kind of useless.But great for short haul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.