MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: CX, AF, UA
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I originally only got approved for the RBC Avion Platinum, not the Infinite (got approved for the TD Infinite though after making a phone call, go figure), but anyway, with the way RBC Rewards works it'll be my main spending CC so I wanna keep the the Avion Infinite ofc... but for now I'm stuck with the Avion Platinum. When it comes to changing/when the year is near done, would the best way not to lose my RBC rewards point be:

A) Transfer from RBC to AA when there's the transfer promo on
B) Remaining points right before cancellation, transfer to Esso Extra
C) Cancel RBC Avion Platinum
D) Apply for RBC Avion Infinite
E) Re-convert Esso Extra to RBC Rewards at no net loss, since it's 1500=2500 either way (?)

does that sound about right? Or how much time do I have to leave between cancelling the Platinum and applying for the Infinite, does anyone have any experience with this?
I would make sure the credit limit is up to the minimum level required for infinite, and then ask for a product transfer. If that fails, apply while still having the Platinum. If that fails, call in and discuss you want the infinite (or will move business to another credit card, away from RBC). If you have the credit limit and you use it well, there is no reason you'd not get the infinite.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by winebug
I would make sure the credit limit is up to the minimum level required for infinite, and then ask for a product transfer. If that fails, apply while still having the Platinum. If that fails, call in and discuss you want the infinite (or will move business to another credit card, away from RBC). If you have the credit limit and you use it well, there is no reason you'd not get the infinite.
Well if I just transfer I don't get the signup bonus for the Infinite, that's why I wanna do it this way - Might as well get the bonus if I can.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 4:19 pm

Another quick question for you guys, does anyone know if a recent change in address is grounds for denial or being "under review"? The new address has already updated on my Equifax file, but only last month.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:06 pm

I originally only got approved for the RBC Avion Platinum, not the Infinite (got approved for the TD Infinite though after making a phone call, go figure), but anyway, with the way RBC Rewards works it'll be my main spending CC so I wanna keep the the Avion Infinite ofc... but for now I'm stuck with the Avion Platinum. When it comes to changing/when the year is near done, would the best way not to lose my RBC rewards point be:

A) Transfer from RBC to AA when there's the transfer promo on
B) Remaining points right before cancellation, transfer to Esso Extra
C) Cancel RBC Avion Platinum
D) Apply for RBC Avion Infinite
E) Re-convert Esso Extra to RBC Rewards at no net loss, since it's 1500=2500 either way (?)

does that sound about right? Or how much time do I have to leave between cancelling the Platinum and applying for the Infinite, does anyone have any experience with this?
Not interested in converting at 1:1.5 bonus to BA?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by flyer05
Another quick question for you guys, does anyone know if a recent change in address is grounds for denial or being "under review"?
Anything can be grounds. I have found no rhyme or reason to Canadian bank policies.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by zer0k1
Not interested in converting at 1:1.5 bonus to BA?
I would if BA didn't suck ... for fuel surcharges

seriously, BA would be amazing if not for it, it'd be all I'd use given that I use most of my redemption for YVR-ZRH
Old Jun 16, 2015, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by flyer05
Another quick question for you guys, does anyone know if a recent change in address is grounds for denial or being "under review"? The new address has already updated on my Equifax file, but only last month.
Nope. Shouldn't be
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:01 am

I would if BA didn't suck ... for fuel surcharges

seriously, BA would be amazing if not for it, it'd be all I'd use given that I use most of my redemption for YVR-ZRH
The problem is there would be no availability!
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:10 am

Is there a way to churn United mileageplus miles in Canada?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: CX, AF, UA
Originally Posted by emilio911
Many on the forum would be all over it if we could. So far I have not found a way to get it done from within Canada, but maybe I'm outdated and there is in the meantime a way.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by winebug
Many on the forum would be all over it if we could. So far I have not found a way to get it done from within Canada, but maybe I'm outdated and there is in the meantime a way.
Thanks
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Not true. There is an oft-overlooked conversion program that is better in Canada than the US: SPG. MR transfer rates are better in Canada. And earning rates are 20% better, because of the lower dollar. Plus referral rates are better. I've been pushing SPG as a very viable MR transfer partner for a while now. From SPG, you can transfer to many US and Global airlines. Admittedly, UA is not an SPG transfer part you'd want to use. But you could transfer to SQ and book UA flights w/o YQ that way. I did that last week for my son and future wife for their honeymoon to Hawaii. Worked like a charm!

Additionally, many of you followed my advice, I suspect, and took advantage of the now-defunct points.com transfer of Aeros indirectly to AA. Your AA accounts are well padded now with 160K+ AA miles if you maxed out 2014 and 2015 limits like each member of our churn team in Canada did.
SPG is on par with MR as far as I am concerned, because they're all going to the same place for me (BA Avios). SPG does have their 25% bonus PLUS I got an extra 10% transfer bonus from BA on a recent transfer on top of that, which was great! But, because I can earn more with my spending with the Amex Gold (2x on grocery, gas and drug - which is the majority of my spending), this is still my card of choice, with the SPG as my 'alternate' churn.

Like many out there, I'd have an even harder time figuring out what to do with AA points than I do with my Aeroplan points! We're likely going to Europe with them, but it takes a lot of planning to avoid flights with YQ!
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Aeroplan is a superior currency since the big UA devaluation, unless you need XN inventory?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Not that I am aware of. As someone who makes United MP 1K based on miles flown (PQM) and not spend with United (which Americans have to do) I actually hope that United never introduces a CC in Canada as I think that might end up changing United's current policy on waiving the spend requirement for Canadians and other foreigners.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
Aeroplan is a superior currency since the big UA devaluation, unless you need XN inventory?
LOL no! I just hate fuel surcharges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.