MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Thx for posting! I can't wait for those 15k points myself!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:58 pm

Canadian Rewards Creditcard for Business

Anybody know of any good reward based credit cards for businesses? My preferred card is the MBNA MasterCard with Alaska, but to my knowledge, they don't offer anything like this for businesses. Suggestions appreciated.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by crimsona
I would like to report that the 15k bonus for adding an authorized user on the Marriott Visa has finally posted, dated 4/16 even though I don't expect my normal points to post until 4/18.

Added AU end of Nov, first transaction done by early Dec... and 4 months of waiting later I can finally stop calling Chase.
And mine (and Mr. Fink's) alas, have not.
I shall be calling Chase on Tuesday...
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:44 pm

For whatever reason, even though it's dated for April 16, it shows up on my March statement between my March 1 stay and March 18 Chase visa posting
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
For whatever reason, even though it's dated for April 16, it shows up on my March statement between my March 1 stay and March 18 Chase visa posting
I haven't actually looked at our statements, just logged into our Marriott accounts and the points balance hasn't changed. I want to book a stay for the beginning of May and was hoping they would have shown up by now.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:33 pm

Oh, best of luck! I actually received a postcard from them with the fifteen thousand advertised so I was pretty ready to fight them on it
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by zoicca
Anybody know of any good reward based credit cards for businesses? My preferred card is the MBNA MasterCard with Alaska, but to my knowledge, they don't offer anything like this for businesses. Suggestions appreciated.
Consider the Amex Business Gold Rewards Card. I have also had the Amex SPG Business card, but the bonus offer for it right now is not so hot.

All the other cards that I use for business expenses are consumer cards, and then my employer just pays my credit card bill. Not sure if that'll work in your situation.

Definitely check out the MilesBuzz! Canada forum for more ideas.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:26 pm

I would like to report that the 15k bonus for adding an authorized user on the Marriott Visa has finally posted, dated 4/16 even though I don't expect my normal points to post until 4/18.

Added AU end of Nov, first transaction done by early Dec... and 4 months of waiting later I can finally stop calling Chase.
Originally Posted by Finkface
And mine (and Mr. Fink's) alas, have not.
I shall be calling Chase on Tuesday...
Just an FYI for anyone whose 15k AU bonus points have not posted, I called Chase today. The rep verified that both Mr. Fink and I added the AU in December and each made a purchase on the AU's card in January so we both definitely qualified for the bonus. She said the list of qualified recipients was sent to Marriott Rewards on April 16 for Marriott to credit the 15k and we were both on it. She can't see why we didn't receive the credit and is sending a 'nudge' to Marriott so that the points can be added on our next statement closing in mid-May. I had wanted to make a booking for May 1 using some of these points. I called Marriott and they said they would put in a request to see if they could add the points this week but no guarantees.

So if you didn't get the bonus applied on April 16-18, give Chase a call as you were likely missed, as we were.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
Just an FYI for anyone whose 15k AU bonus points have not posted, I called Chase today. The rep verified that both Mr. Fink and I added the AU in December and each made a purchase on the AU's card in January so we both definitely qualified for the bonus. She said the list of qualified recipients was sent to Marriott Rewards on April 16 for Marriott to credit the 15k and we were both on it. She can't see why we didn't receive the credit and is sending a 'nudge' to Marriott so that the points can be added on our next statement closing in mid-May. I had wanted to make a booking for May 1 using some of these points. I called Marriott and they said they would put in a request to see if they could add the points this week but no guarantees.

So if you didn't get the bonus applied on April 16-18, give Chase a call as you were likely missed, as we were.
Experienced exactly the same - pretty much the same script was read to me. I have no idea how Chase operates in the US, but in my contact with them over the past two years, the Canadian operation doesn't seem very polished.

Anyway, they said wait two weeks and see what happens. Guess I can't do anything but wait then.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by tommy99
Experienced exactly the same - pretty much the same script was read to me. I have no idea how Chase operates in the US, but in my contact with them over the past two years, the Canadian operation doesn't seem very polished.

Anyway, they said wait two weeks and see what happens. Guess I can't do anything but wait then.
Yep, same here, waiting. Although Chase told me it wouldn't happen until the May 15 statement.

I have 3 US Chase cards as well as this one Canadian card and what a difference in service. Chase US is so professional and customer-focused, from matching new bonus offers for existing cards to one rep who went so far above and beyond for me that I wrote in to his supervisor about the exemplary service. Not to say the Canadian rep today wasn't friendly, just no real attempt to solve this for me now even though it is clearly their mistake and after I said I had been waiting 4 months and had planned to use the points before May 15.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by jerry305
Consider the Amex Business Gold Rewards Card. I have also had the Amex SPG Business card, but the bonus offer for it right now is not so hot.

All the other cards that I use for business expenses are consumer cards, and then my employer just pays my credit card bill. Not sure if that'll work in your situation.

Definitely check out the MilesBuzz! Canada forum for more ideas.
Amex Biz card is now $250/yr, 25K bonus for $5K spend. Was free before for $3K spend. They have a program where 3 suppliers get you 2X the MR miles. I use Canadian Linen, 407ETR, and Petro Canada. There wasn't much else to choose from, it's a crappy list. But it all depends on who you use. I can see some mid-size companies with large linen bills from Canadian Linen making out large. We spend ~$450/month for 3 employees.

Won't renew the card.

As has been said the SPG bonus was gutted.

The CIBC Aeroplan Biz card $180/yr, 15K Aeroplan miles (not sure on spend- if there is one)

And to be completely honest, if you are small enough, personal card, biz card...whats the difference? I get a laugh when the CFIB (I'm a member btw) does this yearly media blitz on merchant fees. Small biz owners might pay those fees but they are the biggest USERS of credit cards out there. It's a big circle j**k, I guess someone loses somewhere if one takes a look at the earnings of visa, mc and Amex. Let alone Chase and all the other merchant processors. We come out ahead.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: aeroplan airmiles priorityclub choiceprivilege asiamiles spg bw
Originally Posted by zoicca
Have you looked into the RBC business platinum avion card?

(I got a what appears to be targeted promo with FYF & 40k points welcome bonus.)
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by ValueHunter99
Have you looked into the RBC business platinum avion card?

(I got a what appears to be targeted promo with FYF & 40k points welcome bonus.)
Wow, that's crazy. What did your letter say/was there an application link?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: aeroplan airmiles priorityclub choiceprivilege asiamiles spg bw
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Wow, that's crazy. What did your letter say/was there an application link?
The link seems to be the standard link.

I have until May 15 to accept the offer.
(decided to accept the offer since no credit pull ... )
The fine print says welcome bonus of 20k upon acceptance, then another 20k at renewal.

Even though first year is free, renewal will cost $50 if also hold the personal avion card. $120 otherwise.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by ValueHunter99
The link seems to be the standard link.

I have until May 15 to accept the offer.
(decided to accept the offer since no credit pull ... )
The fine print says welcome bonus of 20k upon acceptance, then another 20k at renewal.

Even though first year is free, renewal will cost $50 if also hold the personal avion card. $120 otherwise.
right, you're preapproved then, and no applying (hence why no special link). Damn!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.