MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Winterpeg007
Just thought that I would add to this discussion. I am currently a CIBC Infinite AeroPlan holder who is being transferred(SOLD) to TD. I am a full banking customer with TD and when the dust settles, I will hopefully receive the new TD Infinite Aeroplan card from TD FREE!
TD had never been that accommodating in the past, so let's hope this happens.
Your post is probably more appropriate in the TD credit card thread, but given that you are responding to another post in this thread, it's understandable why you posted here.

Anyway, you should call TD NOW and request the new TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite card...they are offering it with $0 for the first year. But, you have to call or apply in-branch.

I am the same profile as you, my 2 CIBC Aerogolds were sold to TD. I called TD last week and they gave me the Infinite card $0 FYF and 15,000 signup Aeros. Since you are a full banking customer at TD, as am I, ask if they have a pre-approved credit limit on your file. Use this to apply and avoid the hard pull on your credit. No need to hope and cross your fingers...TD is very willing to dish out their new Aeroplan cards.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Quote:

Originally Posted by Winterpeg007

Just thought that I would add to this discussion. I am currently a CIBC Infinite AeroPlan holder who is being transferred(SOLD) to TD. I am a full banking customer with TD and when the dust settles, I will hopefully receive the new TD Infinite Aeroplan card from TD FREE!
TD had never been that accommodating in the past, so let's hope this happens.

Your post is probably more appropriate in the TD credit card thread, but given that you are responding to another post in this thread, it's understandable why you posted here.

Anyway, you should call TD NOW and request the new TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite card...they are offering it with $0 for the first year. But, you have to call or apply in-branch.

I am the same profile as you, my 2 CIBC Aerogolds were sold to TD. I called TD last week and they gave me the Infinite card $0 FYF and 15,000 signup Aeros. Since you are a full banking customer at TD, as am I, ask if they have a pre-approved credit limit on your file. Use this to apply and avoid the hard pull on your credit. No need to hope and cross your fingers...TD is very willing to dish out their new Aeroplan cards.
+1.
While the TD-CIBC Aeroplan saga is continuing, consensus over at the mentioned forum is to apply with TD now.

Once TD gets you as a customer from CIBC, the speculation goes, then you're probably not eligible for New Customer bonuses.

If you apply now, you can be a New Customer and get the 15,000. Apply in branch, and ask for the First Year Free.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by jerry305
+1.
While the TD-CIBC Aeroplan saga is continuing, consensus over at the mentioned forum is to apply with TD now.

Once TD gets you as a customer from CIBC, the speculation goes, then you're probably not eligible for New Customer bonuses.

If you apply now, you can be a New Customer and get the 15,000. Apply in branch, and ask for the First Year Free.
Why is there no online application with no fee? Do they pressure you into signing up for a bank account when you call or go into the branch?

I have a CIBC Aeroplan Visa (I am a CIBC banking customer, so I still have this card) and I plan to cancel it (or downgrade to a no-fee card) but I'd still like an Aeroplan credit card. If I can get one with no annual fee and bonus Aeroplan points, I am all over that! I just despise going into the branch........

Will calling work?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by pokee
Why is there no online application with no fee? Do they pressure you into signing up for a bank account when you call or go into the branch?
When I signed up for the TD Aeroplan Infinite Visa a few days ago, I got no pressure to sign up for a bank account as well. The clerk asked if I was also interested in a bank account, but he took "no thanks" for an answer the first time. My impression was that the clerk wasn't concerned about signing me up for multiple products. The clerk confirmed the offer is 15,000 points, First Year Free, no minimum spend.

Originally Posted by pokee
I just despise going into the branch........
Will calling work?
Dunno.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by carlos_canada
Following on Flyer206, suggestion, here a web-site, that has been recently
up-dated (13January2014)

http://www.rewardscanada.ca/cccompare.html

Other site with information:

http://www.comparasave.com/
Wow, thanks for the link. I did not know that chart existed. It would have saved me several hours looking things up and posting it. I am going to e-mail rewardscanada if they can put in detail the insurance coverage. Insurance can vary quite a bit. For example the flight delay from CIBC aeroplan has an additional $100 in entertainment coverage and $100 in ground transportation, some have a 4 hour wait while some have 6 hours, then the top TD credit card-First class VISA does not even have flight delay coverage.

The Alaska airlines credit card no longer gives out 2 lounge passes.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:26 pm

i just applied for, and was approved for, the CIBC aerogold card. I'm not a CIBC account holder nor a TD account holder. I have excellent credit and am really only doing it for the miles.

I received all the bonuses being offered (15k aeroplan miles on first purchase, 5k after $500 spent in 3 months, $0 fee) with essentially no questions being asked

Should i take my points and run? Make the switch to TD right away? I have no intention of keeping either card and I'm not overly concerned about my credit score (over 800)
Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by 4soup
i just applied for, and was approved for, the CIBC aerogold card. I'm not a CIBC account holder nor a TD account holder. I have excellent credit and am really only doing it for the miles.

I received all the bonuses being offered (15k aeroplan miles on first purchase, 5k after $500 spent in 3 months, $0 fee) with essentially no questions being asked

Should i take my points and run? Make the switch to TD right away? I have no intention of keeping either card and I'm not overly concerned about my credit score (over 800)
Yes, take the points and run, but hold onto the card for 6 months before cancelling, so that it doesn't appear as a pock mark on your credit file.

With your credit score, you probably should apply for the TD Aero cards as well. Make sure you call or go in-branch to speak to a TD rep to get the fees waived.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
This may or may not be better suited towards the Amex MR forums, but since this is to do with meeting minimum spends...

I'm $37 away from meeting a $500 minimum spend on my Amex PRG, but I'm out of Canada for the next few months. Does anyone know if AC gift cards, purchased from AC.com, get the 2x airline bonus? Would there be a better way to get that $37 with the 2x MR points bonus through online purchases?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by pewpew
This may or may not be better suited towards the Amex MR forums, but since this is to do with meeting minimum spends...

I'm $37 away from meeting a $500 minimum spend on my Amex PRG, but I'm out of Canada for the next few months. Does anyone know if AC gift cards, purchased from AC.com, get the 2x airline bonus? Would there be a better way to get that $37 with the 2x MR points bonus through online purchases?
Why not do a local purchase for $37 wherever you are? Sure, you'll pay the 2% forex fee, but even if it costs you $40 overall, it's hardly the end of the world. And this way you get something that's immediately useful rather than AC GCs.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by pewpew
Would there be a better way to get that $37 with the 2x MR points bonus through online purchases?
Don't worry about the 2x. 37 points simply isn't worth getting worked up over. Just make any online purchase.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Don't worry about the 2x. 37 points simply isn't worth getting worked up over. Just make any online purchase.
Agreed.

So, pewpew, you say you're out of the country for a few months...what about any of your utilities? Can you pay them online? I often just pay into say Rogers/Telus/Bell accounts, even though the bill is not due yet...goes in as a credit on my account, and when my next bill is generated it's reduced by, in your case, $37. You're just pre-paying by a month.

Just a suggestion that might work for you.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: AMEX, AeroPlan, Marriott
Metal alloy credit cards

Hello,

New to the forum, I posted the same question in another thread this one seems more appropriate.

Are there any metal alloy credit cards in Canada?
@:-)
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dicin
Are there any metal alloy credit cards in Canada?
I doubt it. I've never seen a chip in a metal card.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I doubt it. I've never seen a chip in a metal card.
Centurion does it.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Centurion does it.
Also CSP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.