Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated]Credit Cards with good bonuses for Canadians.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 22, 11, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, AS MVP75k, Nat'l Executive, and oh yea..Can't forget my UA, MR and UR collections

I just moved to Vancouver after spending five years in PHL. I am a citizen and have a SIN so applying is no problem. I also have no intentions of being in YVR longer than two years, so "hurting" my credit by applying and canceling multiple cards won't bother me.

Any recommendations on the best earnings???
Old Jun 22, 11, 8:29 am

Currently SPG AMEX has 20k promotional offer and you earn 1 SPG points per C$1 spent - with SPG 20k points translates to 25k miles, this is equivalent to more than 1 miles per $ spent.

If you are looking for cash back, MBNA Smart Cash has 3% rebate for gas / groceries and 1% for everything else.

Capital One Aspire also has great reward opportunities.

These are the 3 cards that have the best deal in Canada.
Old Jun 22, 11, 9:28 pm

You may be able to get a 20k sign up bonus with the RBC Avion card, and as of July 1st they will be offering 1.5 times the miles to convert said miles into BA miles, giving you 30k miles.

That is enough for a round trip anywhere in the United States (including Hawaii) and is only 5k short of a round trip ticket to Asia.
Old Jun 22, 11, 10:21 pm

Canada Best Card Bonuses

I just researched this for my relatives in Calgary. Capital One offers a card right now with a 35,000 point/mile bonus. Card cost $120. If you and your wife each open one up that is 70,000 points for $240 and the points can be transferred free into one account. Upon renewal one gets another 10,000 miles in each account.

10,000 points/miles are equal to $100 of travel purchase power. Plus, you earn 2 points or miles for each dollar charged.

These points are easy to use to purchase a ticket on any airline or to pay for hotels and rental cars. EAsy way to get a ticket or two back home when you want it in a couple of years.
Old Jun 26, 11, 10:21 am

[Consolidated]Credit Card Bonuses (miles) Availale for Canadians?

Hi, I am a new member living in Quebec, Canada. I see so many excellent deals for credit cards with bonus miles and annual fee waivers for the firt year available for US citizens.

Would anyone kindly let me know of any good deals that are currently available for Canadians living in Quebec?

Yesterday I tried signing up for the Capital One Aspire World Mastercard with 50,000 Mile Signup Bonus available to Canadians. However, I found it was not available for Quebec citizens until August. I called and spoke to one of their reps.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you in advance.
Old Jun 26, 11, 10:32 am

Programs: BA, BMI
Welcome to FT.

There is a decent list of CC offers here - a lot of these are only US cards, but I know there are at least a couple that are Canadian.

Hopefully you find what you need there....

Thanks
Old Jun 26, 11, 12:46 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
There are hardly ever any Canadian deals that are on par with the ones you find in the U.S. Even if there is, I find it annoying some of the offers with big bonuses are not available for residents of quebec!! But it's good to know that Mastercard will soon be making it available for people who live in Quebec. Thankfully I'm a US citizen living in Canada so I am qualified for the US deals

I just applied for the Alaska Airlines MBNA Mastercard(Canadian Version) w/ a 25K bonus which is pretty good as far as Canadian deals go. $75 fee.. way better than the Air Canada offers w. the high annual fees.
Old Jun 26, 11, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
One good thing in Canada, is that the SPG card is a Visa/MC. They are more accepted than the Amex.
Old Jun 26, 11, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by Evelyn2109 View Post
Would anyone kindly let me know of any good deals that are currently available for Canadians living in Quebec?
There were two MilesBuzz threads on Canadian offers. They may not be current but would give you some ideas as how to start and where to look:

Canadian eh

best canadian mileage-earning credit card

Do keep in mind that cc offers in other countries/regions are not as generous as U.S. ones. One can only work with what s/he is offered and targeted.

Welcome to FT and good luck!
Old Jun 26, 11, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
One good thing in Canada, is that the SPG card is a Visa/MC. They are more accepted than the Amex.
The card you are referring to has been defunct for almost two years....it's now an AMEX.
Old Jun 26, 11, 7:54 pm

Thank you for your help

I thank all of you for your helpful suggestions and links. I will check them out and hopefully find something good

This is all new and exciting to me
Old Jun 27, 11, 8:16 pm

Applied for 2 Canadian Card with Bonus Miles Today

Hi Aaron 1262, thank you for your suggestion. I have applied for the Alaska Airlines MBNA Mastercard (Canadian Version) with 25,000 bonus miles today.

As well I have applied for the American Express (Canadian Version) with 15,000 bonus miles upon spending $300 within 3 months, and 1-year fee waiver today. First I had to check which merchants in Quebec accept the Amex Card - not many do.

These 2 seem to be the best Canadian deals I can find at present.

If anyone comes across something good for Canadians in Quebec, please let me know? I thank you in advance.
Old Jun 28, 11, 8:36 am

Programs: MPC -> QFF
You can also sign up for the AMEX Business GOLD card for 25K MR bonus. I am in the process of trying to get this upgraded to a 75K bonus as mentioned in some of the other threads.

There was also a 50K Aeroplan Platinum Plus for Canadians, I think that just expired a couple of weeks ago.
Old Jun 28, 11, 8:57 am

This might help

I'm not sure about Quebec because I'm from Ontario. But I was recently looking for some comparing tool about Canadian credit cards especially with bonus miles and other useful options. "insureye.com" I found was pretty useful for me. Maybe it helps you as well. Anyway good luck with your search!

Last edited by philemer; Jun 28, 11 at 4:35 pm Reason: remove link
Old Jun 29, 11, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, AS MVP75k, Nat'l Executive, and oh yea..Can't forget my UA, MR and UR collections
I can't transfer those points to an airline's FF account though, right?

Search this Thread