MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018) • Which credit card should I get? • Cards with good bonuses • List of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian Kilometers • PointsNerd • Rewards Canada • Don't Call the Airline! • Pointshogger • Canadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
• PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
I think it'll take a miracle for those extra 15k to post, even next cycle. I've got 2 cards, waiting for a total of 30k, and I need those points to hit 270k and book a nights and flights award and score 100k alaska points too. Sigh. I was hoping...
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by tommy99
Ditto. Really wish another card with no foreign transaction fees would enter the Canadian market. I don't find any value with this card other than that, more so now with Marriott consistently devaluing their program.
Chase does have the Amazon Visa and Sears MC with no forex fee.

I really can't value Marriott points as much as the 1% cashback on the Amazon with the constant devaluations (second year in a row for Seattle properties)

If I can't even use the cat 5 room, I might be better off with the Amazon so that I don't have to stress over it
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by crimsona
Chase does have the Amazon Visa and Sears MC with no forex fee.

I really can't value Marriott points as much as the 1% cashback on the Amazon with the constant devaluations (second year in a row for Seattle properties)

If I can't even use the cat 5 room, I might be better off with the Amazon so that I don't have to stress over it
well 1 Marriott pt is supposed to be less than 1 cent anyway. i think around 0.8 cents on average is what i've seen. i did see a couple Bangkok properties around 1 cent though.

but you do get the bonus of double points on a lot of travel related expenses. i think the card's T&A says restaurants, airlines, and car rental, but actually its much more than that. i've been getting 2x points on hotels, tour companies , cruise ships, and more.

obviously even at 2x points, there are other better options for domestic use (2x0.8=1.6c which isnt that good) but while overseas, its a nice bonus

last year i used the cat 1-4 sign up voucher for a pre-cruise stay in Fort Lauderdale, saved $200 on airfare by flying in 1 day earlier so that was cool. but i agree with you its hard to use the cat 1-5 as most big city or tourist spot properties with decent location seem to be category 6+. one possible use if you live in GTA or near border would be for some cross-border shopping (Black Friday, or something)
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:18 am

I love the Marriott card for the simple reason that there are no foreign transaction fees... but no online statements? That's pretty ridiculous!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by slaman
I love the Marriott card for the simple reason that there are no foreign transaction fees... but no online statements? That's pretty ridiculous!
And no year-end summary either. All the Canadian Chase cards are the same. I don't know why they don't use the same web interface as Chase in the U.S.

I really can't value Marriott points as much as the 1% cashback on the Amazon with the constant devaluations
I use the Amazon card even though I've only made one amazon.ca purchase since I've had the card.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And no year-end summary either. All the Canadian Chase cards are the same. I don't know why they don't use the same web interface as Chase in the U.S.
Sadly we're just not important enough as a market yet. I talked to Chase a few months back, and basically they said that Chase doesn't really have a brick-and-mortar branch presence in Canada, so that their co-branded cards are just really limited to brands that have a good presence in Canada already (i.e. Amazon, Best Buy, Sears, etc.) and they're really targeting people who like the brand (and not necessarily the points).
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:57 am

On the bright side if nobody's received the 15k for Auth User, we're all in the same boat and Chase is just dragging their heels
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Sadly we're just not important enough as a market yet. I talked to Chase a few months back, and basically they said that Chase doesn't really have a brick-and-mortar branch presence in Canada, so that their co-branded cards are just really limited to brands that have a good presence in Canada already
None of that explains whey they decided to implement a sub-standard web site.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:30 am

Maybe they imported the Chase US site circa 2005 and never bothered to upgrade.

Although to be fair, it still manages to show authorizations and you can do most of the needed actions online - I just haven't figured out how to make the Marriott card my default instead of my BBY RZ Visa
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:36 am

Maybe they imported the Chase US site circa 2005 and never bothered to upgrade.
That's possible, though I don't ever actually remember the U.S. site being this weak.

it still manages to show authorizations
Not on mine. It reduces the credit limit, but doesn't actually show the authorizations.

you can do most of the needed actions online
I'd say less than half.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Not on mine. It reduces the credit limit, but doesn't actually show the authorizations.
Click on the Go button

The only thing I miss is Online statements and vacation notification
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:00 pm

Click on the Go button
Thanks. I must be blind. (Though there are three Go buttons in your image.) It would be nice if it showed more information (at least the vendor) without having to click through, but it's something.

I miss: online statements, year-end summary, next closing date, online dispute.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:59 pm

Oops. Yes those were terrible instructions.

All Marriott cards have a closing date of 11th of every month, so that's never been an issue for me - for other cards I could see it being annoying though.

Due dates are visible when you look at previous billing cycles. True on the online dispute, no personal experience with fraud on my card (knock on wood)
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait

Earn free AA miles with Passport Challenge Promotion through May 23, 2014
EDIT: Canadians might be excluded. "Open to legal residents of the 50 U.S./D.C."

Link to the promotion:
Play, share and fly to earn over 10,000 bonus miles

Here's where I found this promo:

It can be hard for Canadians to find opportunities to earn American Airlines miles.
This promo worked great for me! Now I don't have to worry about expiry for almost the next 2 years.

Last edited by jerry305; Mar 21, 2014 at 10:16 am
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by jerry305

Link to the promotion:
Play, share and fly to earn over 10,000 bonus miles

Here's where I found this promo:

It can be hard for Canadians to find opportunities to earn American Airlines miles.
This promo worked great for me! Now I don't have to worry about expiry for almost the next 2 years.
Open to legal residents of the 50 U.S./D.C., who are members of the American Airlines AAdvantageŽ program in good-standing at the time of participation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.