MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
All true but....MR accumulation suddenly got a lot worse in Canada now that we've moved to the 1x personal card per lifetime model. So transferring at 0.5:1 to SPG from MR isn't as easy to swallow anymore. For me, makes me look at my Aeroplan options a lot more closely. As that's where I can build critical mass of points.

I'm also worried that Amex SPG will have a lower earn rate at some point...because it's costing Amex more to buy those points from SPG.
I know, that's a big hit, but the U.S. has the same policy. With the TD Aeroplan cards still being churnable, I prefer using my SPG points for AS transfers, or as a great way of getting AA points in Canada.

And btw, there are essentially no SPG referral opportunities in the U.S.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by turbov6
Thanks for the heads up. The IHG Capital One may be coming to an end fairly soon. When I called today the agent seemed to think it had already been canceled but it is still showing up on the website.
Exactly why I applied tonight and got approved
Got to get it in before it's gone, buying 60K for $120
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:27 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I know this is just the case in general, but it really bugs me how screwed we Canadians get on the SPG Amex

Starpoints earned:
Canada - 1 for everything
USA - 2 for stays, 1 for rest

... that's quite a big difference if one wants to focus on SPG stays&points
I agree on many of your points, but the point earning comparison is only much of a factor when about 30% or more of your spend is at Starwood hotels.

For those of us who use it much more for regular spend than hotel spend it is better at the higher annual fee and 1CAD to 1SPG conversion.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by drwilliams
I agree on many of your points, but the point earning comparison is only much of a factor when about 30% or more of your spend is at Starwood hotels.

For those of us who use it much more for regular spend than hotel spend it is better at the higher annual fee and 1CAD to 1SPG conversion.
Another good point showing why Canadians have it better than Americans in this one aspect of the game: SPG. With the weak Canadian Peso, your earning rate is currently 25% higher than in the US.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Well here it is again. Convert points to Aeroplan and receive a bonus of up to 40,000 Aeroplan miles. Off valid July 27 – August 24.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: Accor Platinum,Aeroplan,BA,Marriot Rewards, Alaska Airlines, Amex Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Exactly why I applied tonight and got approved
Got to get it in before it's gone, buying 60K for $120
Me too, just applied and got approved! I wasn't going to apply since it says under the definition of excellent credit that you can't have applied for credit within the last 3 months. I had an online chat with an agent and he said go for it and sent me an application link
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Originally Posted by Preacher7
Another good point showing why Canadians have it better than Americans in this one aspect of the game: SPG. With the weak Canadian Peso, your earning rate is currently 25% higher than in the US.
It really doesn't make any difference for Canadians that earn and spend in Canadian dollars.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by teriyaki
It really doesn't make any difference for Canadians that earn and spend in Canadian dollars.
It makes a big difference on redemption decisions.

If you're using points on SPG hotels in the US you're spending the same as you did before.

If you're considering cash, you're facing a 30% increase in price all else equal versus this time last year.

So the pay cash vs. use points is now more of a no-brainer. It has made hotel points overall more valuable, if you happen to use them in the US (which I haven't much, but probably will).

And the cost of accumulating those points hasn't changed it's true. you're still spending $1 to get 1 SPG. The point being made above, though, is that for a Canadian it's the equivalent of spending US70c per SPG point versus Americans that have to spend USD$1 per SPG point. So we have it better.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
might be a lot more places to use Starpoints soon

http://seekingalpha.com/news/2676315...-in-deal-talks
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Cerenity
might be a lot more places to use Starpoints soon

http://seekingalpha.com/news/2676315...-in-deal-talks
That's not good. Not a merger of equal. SPG gets rolled into IHG program, which isn't as good (though better IMO than Marriott and Hilton from a redemption perspective).
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
That's not good. Not a merger of equal. SPG gets rolled into IHG program, which isn't as good (though better IMO than Marriott and Hilton from a redemption perspective).
Might not have to worry. There's a post in the spg forum here that with a link to a new article says talks have ended. But, there is also another post about a Chinese group trying to buy starwood.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: No
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Yep, got my Aventura Infinite at YYZ too
FYF wasn't automatic but quick call to CIBC, they fixed it easily (as an exception)
I wished I applied for Aeroplan Infinite instead of Aventura though, since I have no use for Aventura and it's no longer transferable. It's almost as bad as Air Miles, ha ha
What's the best use of Aventura points? I did some searching, seems short distance redemptions give best value for points. However, unlike for Aeroplan etc., can't seem to find an Aventura thread?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by rataplan
What's the best use of Aventura points? I did some searching, seems short distance redemptions give best value for points. However, unlike for Aeroplan etc., can't seem to find an Aventura thread?
No idea, I struggle to use it myself
I should've signed up for the CIBC Aerogold instead of Aventura

honestly I may simply let my 15K Aventura go to waste because I don't see any real good value reward to redeem... and it can't transfer out either
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:44 pm

Aventura lost all appeal after they stopped allowing Aeroplan transfers.

14k gets you a $100 GC (costco being most useful)

https://rewards.cibcrewards.com/Rewa.../0/680100/None
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
Aventura lost all appeal after they stopped allowing Aeroplan transfers.

14k gets you a $100 GC (costco being most useful)

https://rewards.cibcrewards.com/Rewa.../0/680100/None
Didn't know they offer Gift Cards
I'll cash out for $100 Gas gift card then, thanks!

Wasted 1 credit check for $100 GC, boo, at least it's Free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.