MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
Thanks for the info. For some reason I always thought Amex had better coverage
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
Originally Posted by zer0k1
Thanks for the info. For some reason I always thought Amex had better coverage
Amex covers rentals with an MSRP up to $85,000 and CIBC only covers up to $65,000 (with some exceptions).

These online documents may not be the latest. Be sure to check the details provided with your card.

CIBC: https://www.cibc.com/ca/pdf/visa/auto-rental-ins-en.pdf

AMEX: https://icm.aexp-static.com/Internet...um_English.pdf
Old Aug 21, 2015, 7:09 am

Just circling back on the RBC Avion upsell from RBC Gold Rewards.

I downgraded my Avion card (got FYF last year) to the no-fee RBC Gold Rewards card back in April.

Called them today to see if there were any offers available on either the RBC Avion Infinite or RBC Avion Platinum cards. No dice.

But I was transferred to customer service and they told that I could upgrade my RBC Gold Rewards card to the RBC Avion Infinite card no problem. Would be eligible for the 15k points, but no waiver of the annual fee. Not the best offer, but the way I look at it, I'm picking up American Airlines points for 0.8c each, rather than the 2c US or whatever it cost in their most recent promotion.

Pretty interesting that I'm eligible for the opt-up so soon after downgrading.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Just circling back on the RBC Avion upsell from RBC Gold Rewards.

I downgraded my Avion card (got FYF last year) to the no-fee RBC Gold Rewards card back in April.

Called them today to see if there were any offers available on either the RBC Avion Infinite or RBC Avion Platinum cards. No dice.

But I was transferred to customer service and they told that I could upgrade my RBC Gold Rewards card to the RBC Avion Infinite card no problem. Would be eligible for the 15k points, but no waiver of the annual fee. Not the best offer, but the way I look at it, I'm picking up American Airlines points for 0.8c each, rather than the 2c US or whatever it cost in their most recent promotion.

Pretty interesting that I'm eligible for the opt-up so soon after downgrading.
6.4cents if you transfer with the 1.25x bonus.

Also fyi the RBC rewards mall atm offers 100(!) bonus points on turbotax per dollar. So essentially you can buy points for 1cpm. Or 0.8cpm if you transfer with the bonus! MUCH better deal than directly from AA. essentially the same rate as a cc signup bonus lol
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90

Also fyi the RBC rewards mall atm offers 100(!) bonus points on turbotax per dollar. So essentially you can buy points for 1cpm. Or 0.8cpm if you transfer with the bonus! MUCH better deal than directly from AA. essentially the same rate as a cc signup bonus lol
Yeah, but when was the last time there was a transfer bonus? I doubt it'll happen with the CAD so depressed. In fact, I'm concerned that at some point RBC will reduce the transfer ratio. Only insurance against that risk is the assumption that most "Avioners" don't transfer to AA.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, but when was the last time there was a transfer bonus? I doubt it'll happen with the CAD so depressed. In fact, I'm concerned that at some point RBC will reduce the transfer ratio. Only insurance against that risk is the assumption that most "Avioners" don't transfer to AA.

I hope not, RBC Avion is like the only way for us (outside of SPG, which is better kept within it anyway) to get any non-flying AA miles... Though the 1.5x bonus to Avios is obviously very tempting. I mean, I transferred to Avios last time as well, just to have some buffer miles if I need to fly YVR-JFK for 12.5k on CX Y or so.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 2:39 pm

Just received an offer from RBC for 10k Avios for adding a supplementary card. Is this really targeted or can you call in to get this offer always?

Has anyone done it before? How long does it generally take for the points to post? And does RBC offer prorated refunds on AFs?

Either way its a good deal though. I'm fine with buying BA at .75cpm
Old Aug 21, 2015, 2:46 pm

Just received an offer from RBC for 10k Avios for adding a supplementary card. Is this really targeted or can you call in to get this offer always?

Has anyone done it before? How long does it generally take for the points to post? And does RBC offer prorated refunds on AFs?

With the shitey exchange rate right now, seems like buying miles even at regular costs is looking better than paying for a revenue ticket in US$ for us Canadians!
Old Aug 22, 2015, 4:55 am

It's targeted. I got 5k avion for 50 bucks offer. So did my wife.

Doesn't hurt to call in. Just say "my friend got this...am i eligible?"
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90

Whoa! Has anyone done this and/or are there restrictions or limits?

If I spend a business tax kit@ $230 per license (say I buy 5) = $1,150 - then I will get 115k RBC pts = 115k AA?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dominick
Whoa! Has anyone done this and/or are there restrictions or limits?

If I spend a business tax kit@ $230 per license (say I buy 5) = $1,150 - then I will get 115k RBC pts = 115k AA?
The Terms&Conditions don't mention anything about a limit, as long as you pay through the rewards mall.

So... yes, that should be correct. Either buy AA miles @ 1CADpm/0.75USDpm or buy Avios with a 1.5x transfer bonus that happens quite often @6.7CADpm/0.5USDpm

(well, ignoring taxes, which you'll have to pay and don't get bonus points on, I believe)
Old Aug 22, 2015, 5:48 pm
Suspended

how do you get notified of this offer, by email, on the online banking page, or ?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 6:07 pm

Doesn't hurt to call in. Just say "my friend got this...am i eligible?"
Weird. My husband and I got the same offer of 5k AP points from TD for adding each other for supplemental AP infinite cards a few days ago.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by BenSenise
how do you get notified of this offer, by email, on the online banking page, or ?
We each received the offer by mail.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
What's the collective wisdom on how long to wait between MBNA card apps?

I got the BW MC a few months back, and I'd like to do another round to top up the tank to 80K points between the Mrs. and I.

However, given the dearth of other signup opportunities for me at the moment (given the Amex changes), I'm considering getting the Alaska Airlines MC, and I'd like to do a couple of rounds of signups there.

Does my recent BW MC affect my chances with the Alaska Airlines MC? How long should I wait to sign up for another BW MC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.