MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:30 pm

Authorized User and minimum spend?

If I add an authorized user as soon as a card is activated, does that person's spending contribute toward the minimum spend requirement? Does it matter which AmEx card?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Genouver
If I add an authorized user as soon as a card is activated, does that person's spending contribute toward the minimum spend requirement? Does it matter which AmEx card?
Yes but the authorized user must first get the card, no?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Yes but the authorized user must first get the card, no?
Agreed, but you have three month's to make the spend, and I would imagine the card would reach the user in two weeks or less.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:40 pm

Agreed, but you have three month's to make the spend, and I would imagine the card would reach the user in two weeks or less.
The answer to your question above is still yes as the charges by an authorized user are covered by you and these are posted to your account. Get her spending.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: *void
Yes, the authorized user's supplementary card will add up and contribute to the minimum spending requirement of your primary Amex card. So, when you added an AU for your Business Platinum card, it will contribute towards your Biz Plat's minimum spending. If you open a Personal Gold MR card, then you will have to add an AU for the Gold card, and again, spending on THIS supplementary card contributes to the spending of your Personal Gold card.

Amex supplementary cards are NOT free for the Plat and Biz Plat MR cards, in case you're not aware. They do have a fee. But for the Gold and Biz Gold cards, they are free or at least FYF.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:10 am

New TD terms for AI bank plan

Forgive me if this has been reported before. Just logged in to my TD account and received an invitation to apply for their AI chequing account. I notice that the AVI is no longer listed as one of the cards eligible to have the AF waived. Terms now say:
"Subject to credit approval. Annual Fee waiver applies only for the Primary Cardholder of one of the following new (to you) TD Credit Cards – TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite Card, TD Platinum Travel Visa Card or TD Gold Elite Visa Card – and one Authorized User for the same account for as long as
the All-Inclusive Account remains open and in good standing. All other fees and charges applicable to the selected and approved TD Credit Card Account continue to apply".
Old Feb 18, 2017, 8:35 am

I wonder if there are old terms that the web team forgot to update. Aeroplan visa still listed on the main page, and no changes when logging in on mobile or desktop
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:21 pm

It has been really quiet, I think Canada has been 2-3 years not getting any new travel credit card, instead we're losing IHG/Delta .......

How long it take for RBC points convert to Esso?
Old Feb 28, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
No surprise once the merchant fees were cut a few years back.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
I wonder if there are old terms that the web team forgot to update. Aeroplan visa still listed on the main page, and no changes when logging in on mobile or desktop
Good point.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by imverge
You could get the Scotiabank Gold AMEX which comes with 20K welcome points ($200) and is free for the first year at the moment - it gives you 4% cash back for gas, groceries and entertainment. You can apply the credits towards any travel you charge to the card. This includes airport/airline taxes and fees on Aeroplan tickets as long as you charge it to the card. (Aeroplan booking and cancellation fees not included)

The good thing about this card is you can use ANY gas station and double dip with Aeroplan at ESSO, or Air Miles with Shell.

So, I applied for the Scotiabank Gold Amex.
I got an email from Scotiabank saying the card was sent to my nearest branch, and I must make an appointment to pick it up.
Not sure if this will be a 3-minute procedure or an all-out sales pitch for every imaginable Scotiabank product.

Last edited by jerry305; Mar 1, 2017 at 8:25 am
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait

Crummy news for me (since I applied for it last month)...
Good news for anyone else...

The welcome offer for the Scotiabank American Express Gold Card has gone up from 20,000 welcome points ($200 in travel) to 25,000 welcome points ($250 in travel).

• $250 in travel (increased from $200).
• 4% on gas, groceries, entertainment spend.
• First year free.
• Very low household income requirement to qualify.

I think this is a great deal.

Last edited by jerry305; Mar 1, 2017 at 9:35 am
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by jerry305

The welcome offer for the Scotiabank American Express Gold Card gone up from 20,000 welcome points ($200 in travel) to 25,000 welcome points ($250 in travel).

• $250 in travel.
• First year free.

I've read Scotiabank is a pull from Equifax and, Transunion. Is this accurate?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:55 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K

This card isn't listed on GCR for sign up cash back, is there any other channel for application that gives a bonus return?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:18 am

Call the cc company

The welcome offer for the Scotiabank American Express Gold Card has gone up from 20,000 welcome points ($200 in travel) to 25,000 welcome points ($250 in travel).

• $250 in travel (increased from $200).
• First year free.

If you call them and let them know the offer you received, they've matched it for me! Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.