MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I suggest using AMEX's Global Transfer to get one going for AMEX Canada first
Hopefully you get the AMEX offers too (e.g. 25K on Gold, FYF; 40K on Biz Gold, FYF, etc...)

AMEX Global Transfer (Canada -> USA) - Don't Call the Airline!
http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2015/08...rience-can-us/

American Express - Moving Abroad - Global Card Transfer
https://www.americanexpress.com/global-card-transfers/
Originally Posted by crimsona
Definitely go through amex global transfer. I think there's a cap of one card through the program and you won't get the improved sign-up bonuses (although the gold rewards has the same bonus publicly anyways).

Alternatively you might want to pick up a no annual fee amex through global transfer to anchor your credit report. No Canadian equivalent to the everyday, best would just be the simply cash with 1.25 percent cashback
Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
As a newcomer myself, here's some feedback:
I applied for an Amex Gold through global transfer. Amex will make you through ID verification. In my case, I had to mail a personalized cheque.
Most banks will allow newcomers to apply for a credit card. At the time, applied for the Scene Visa. Got a decent unsecured limit based on income. Most Scotia cards are available for newcomers, based on income requirements.
I will go meet a CIBC rep this month and see if I would qualify for the new Dividend Platinum Visa (4% Cashback on purchases for 6 months).
TD also offer cards to newcomers: my understanding is they offer secured cards to Temp. Foreign Workers and unsecured to Perm. Residents.

My oldest line is less than year old so I am not trying to churn much at the moment, but rather establishing a good history.
My partner is Canadian with good credit so she does the churning and I'm an authorized user
Thank you all of the comments.

I will definitely take advantage of AMEX Global transfer and newcomers' program.

However, I am still curious regarding the time line. Assuming that I will get a new AMEX and another card through newcomer program on day 1, when will I be able to apply for a card with good bonus (says, Chase Marriott)?

Any insights would be much appreciated!
Old Mar 2, 2016, 5:15 pm

I'd try at six months, but Chase US seems to want a year so Chase Canada might have similar policies.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
I'd try at six months, but Chase US seems to want a year so Chase Canada might have similar policies.
Yeah Chase Canada does the same IME
Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by zer0k1
Yeah Chase Canada does the same IME
How about other cards from other banks?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 6:38 am

Not sure if this is the right place as for some reason I thought there was separate thread for AIRMILES. Anyway, I have a bunch of Airmiles that are expiring on Dec.31/16 so I need to use up. I found that the search engine on Airmiles is horrible as you have to continue to guess dates to see what is available if anything - it doesn't show you anything? I am trying to look for flights to Bali - it shows up on the listing but for the life of me I have been plugging in dates all over the place and cant find anything. Does anyone know any tricks on this or if I can even use them for Bali. I did the Chat Customer Service and other than her telling me that yes they go to Bali that is all she could help me with?? Help.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 7:32 am

Last I checked airmiles tickets to anything but NA destinations are so overpriced in terms of miles to the actual cash value that your better off just redeeming for cash off at sobeys or something and paying your flights cash.

Airmiles 5-10 years ago had decent redemption, in 2016 it is nothing but a sad joke.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
How does one redeem airmiles for cash? I've got 1300 that are useless. I was planning on using for a car rental but the cost of buying insurance makes it totally and completely worthless.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
How does one redeem airmiles for cash? I've got 1300 that are useless. I was planning on using for a car rental but the cost of buying insurance makes it totally and completely worthless.
do you like eating at the keg? 190 miles = $20.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Dream miles to cash? no easy way now that BMO vouchers are gone

Cash miles to cash? just redeem at cashier checkout. 95 AM = $10 off

I've switched to CASH After cashing out all Dream miles with BMO vouchers (~$1100 in total)
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by hearna
Last I checked airmiles tickets to anything but NA destinations are so overpriced in terms of miles to the actual cash value that your better off just redeeming for cash off at sobeys or something and paying your flights cash.

Airmiles 5-10 years ago had decent redemption, in 2016 it is nothing but a sad joke.
I totally get that Airmiles is a joke, hence why I have these Airmiles stored up over the years and now they will expire. I honelty don't care about the valuation of them - I just want to use them for flights. So, can anybody assist in my in my original question? Thansk very much!

After I use these up I won't be collecting Airmiles anymore especially now that they expire in 5 years. I'll never collect enough to actually do anything with them other than getting gas at Shell!!! LOL.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Bravada04
I totally get that Airmiles is a joke, hence why I have these Airmiles stored up over the years and now they will expire. I honelty don't care about the valuation of them - I just want to use them for flights. So, can anybody assist in my in my original question? Thansk very much!

After I use these up I won't be collecting Airmiles anymore especially now that they expire in 5 years. I'll never collect enough to actually do anything with them other than getting gas at Shell!!! LOL.
If you don't care about the valuation and prefer the ease of booking flights, book through Marlin Travel where 95 AM= $10 off.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: *void
Milesbuzz: Canada

Thanks PT, did not know that. I've got 15,000+ to burn off.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
It's hard to believe we don't have a dedicated Air Miles thread. I know it's nobody's favourite program but many of us do have accounts that we at least passively collect points in.

And for what it's worth I find the redemptions within NA to be pretty good... for those of us non-status flyers the actual available flights blow away what you can typically find using FFPs.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by prmetime
If you don't care about the valuation and prefer the ease of booking flights, book through Marlin Travel where 95 AM= $10 off.
Sorry I'm not quite sure what you mean by this......apparently I am a little slow nor have I visited a travel agent in like 15 years! I might be way off here but are you saying Marlin Travel will book my flight for me with my Airmiles?..........sorry, or am I way off what you have communicated to me.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Bravada04
Sorry I'm not quite sure what you mean by this......apparently I am a little slow nor have I visited a travel agent in like 15 years! I might be way off here but are you saying Marlin Travel will book my flight for me with my Airmiles?..........sorry, or am I way off what you have communicated to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.