MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
The down side might be the line up at the check in counter.....when I was traveling Y on an Aeroplan ticket, I wasted over 30 minutes in line for my "free" checked bag. I'm sure if I had been flying J it wouldn't have been so bad. Once I reached the counter, though, things were swift and worked as they should.
The Aeroplan Visa cards also give your priority check-in too. You had to wait 30 minutes at the priority check-in counter? I rarely need to wait more than 5 mins, if at all.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
The Aeroplan Visa cards also give your priority check-in too. You had to wait 30 minutes at the priority check-in counter? I rarely need to wait more than 5 mins, if at all.
I'm sure timing had a lot to do with it......spring break. I'm sure it won't happen all the time, but it's something to keep in mind.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:32 pm

just a quick question... I have the alaska credit card right now and suddenly thanks to some devaluation I need another 25K miles. Should I cancel my alaska card and reapply or reapply now and then cancel one later?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 4:35 am

Reapply then cancel
Old Apr 7, 2016, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Reapply then cancel
Also depends on how many you have. If it's just the one then you're fine to apply for a second.

The other thing, is when you cancel make sure you call in and have the balance on the cancelled card added to one you're keeping. Can be used later if you're re-applying.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Just got my GCR rebate for my 3rd delayed Alaska card.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:40 pm

Does TD waive first year fee for Aeroplan VISA card ??
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by dogfan
Not on the public offer, use the "affiliate" link instead:

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/product...-affiliate.jsp

Apply through GCR for an additional $50 rebate
Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by dogfan
For the current (ongoing) promos, expiring on May 27th...yes, but the FYF is only offered if you apply through affiliates. I'd suggest RFD or GCR, which will give you $70 and $50 cash back, respectively. If you apply directly while browsing at the TD website, or in branch, you will NOT get the FYF (unless you open an AI account) and you will be required to spend $1000 to earn that extra 10K after 90 days of keeping the card open.

It's mentioned at the TD thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post26362209
Old Apr 9, 2016, 5:12 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Was planning to tell a friend to sign up for the MBNA SmartCash, as I had good experience with it, and it's among one of the best AF cards out there earning cashback. It will also be her first card with no prior credit history, and MBNA tends to be lenient.

But apparently it's gone from both GCR and RFD Cashback does not seem to list it either. Anyone know if there's anything else there?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: AP, SPG, Amex MR, BAEC, IHG
Originally Posted by spark787
just a quick question... I have the alaska credit card right now and suddenly thanks to some devaluation I need another 25K miles. Should I cancel my alaska card and reapply or reapply now and then cancel one later?
Just got auto declined this weekend on a second Alaska app. And just got off the phone with reconsideration. Apparently I'm welcome to apply for and would be approved for a different product / affinity program, but they will not approve a second Alaska card because they are worried about churning. Explained that I like having a second card for business transactions but no dice.

So I'd suggest cancelling first!

He had quite a lengthy digression on the topic so IMO they have been told to watch for this. He also said the computer now autoflags second applications for the same product. And I haven't even churned this hard, this is my app number 3 ever.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:54 am

Really? My wife got auto approved for her 3rd Alaska card, last Friday.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: AP, SPG, Amex MR, BAEC, IHG
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Maybe I'm specially flagged for some reason. Guess we'll see what others' experiences are like.

I haven't put much if any spend on the first, do you tend to keep using them?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:08 am

The Alaska cards are the go-to cards for non-Amex spending. Other than the TD Aerogold for groceries. So yes, we use them a lot.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, FPC Plat
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Likewise. My wife was approved for her second card on Friday and I was approved for my third card on Wednesday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.