MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by ecgz88
just tried apply SPG SMB card, been told you can just keep 2 AE card at most is that true ? I thought SMB card don't use personnel credit info?

I already have Costco AE card for 10 years (for credit history purpose obviously can't cancel) and personnel SPG AE card (apply last mon haven't got SPG points yet), so obvious can't cancel both, what's my options?
It's true. I've said it many times in the Amex threads, that Amex Canada will only allow (most) people to carry TWO of their CREDIT card products (SPG, SimplyAmex/Costco, Airmiles, Blue Sky). You can apply for as many CHARGE cards as your credit worthiness can handle, but only 2 CREDIT cards, and for you, the SimplyAmex (former Costco) and SPG Personal are already 2. Applying for the SPG Biz would be a distinct 3rd CREDIT card.

Options...cancel one of your older cards, else abort the current new card application.

But if you do choose to cancel your Personal SPG, you may or may not get the referral points (assuming you self-referred). FWIW, in the past, I've had very good Amex customer service to help me stick-handle around this type of situation, but YMMV.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:01 pm

There might be dubious value to actually keeping that first AMEX for its credit history. I've found that every AMEX card I've opened since I got my first one (except business) has been assigned the Opened date of my first AMEX in 2009. In other words, if you open another AMEX and correctly enter a card number you already have where it asks you - you should get a opened since date of whenever you got your first card with them, and it's basically like doing a product switch since you still have that account age on your report.

I'm in the funny situation where the more AMEX accounts I've opened, the more my credit score has gone up as each card I have been getting has been adding to the average age of my accounts.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:27 am

Amex MR to Aeroplan 25% transfer bonus

Added: Disregard below as per TelFunku

I just received an email from Aeroplan for the new transfer bonuses. Amex Membership Rewards are an option right now. Convert 100,000 MR points to Aeroplan and receive a 25,000 Aeroplan bonus.

In the Aeroplan email you have to click through to the Diners Club option and then Amex MR (Canada and US) are there in addition to Diners Club and CIBC Aventura option.

Here is the link from my email in case you didn't receive one:
http://www4.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/more_miles.do (Amex MR details)
http://www4.aeroplan.com/promotions/...&cid=001259544 (transfer bonus details)

Last edited by NotJustDreaming; Mar 31, 2015 at 8:56 am Reason: added 'disregard' instead of deleting post
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by NotJustDreaming
I just received an email from Aeroplan for the new transfer bonuses. Amex Membership Rewards are an option right now. Convert 100,000 MR points to Aeroplan and receive a 25,000 Aeroplan bonus.

In the Aeroplan email you have to click through to the Diners Club option and then Amex MR (Canada and US) are there in addition to Diners Club and CIBC Aventura option.

Here is the link from my email in case you didn't receive one:
http://www4.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/more_miles.do
Promo page specifically notes that "while the conversion of Membership Rewards® points from American Express Cardmember accounts into Aeroplan Miles is still possible, it is not eligible for this bonus mile promotion."

No bonus on Amex MRs.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:52 am

Amex USA airline transfer partners 1:1. Didn't realize it was so extensive.

Drooling here:

Delta Skymiles, AeroMexico, Air Canada Aeroplan, Flying Blue (KLM & Air France), Alitalia MilleMiglia, Cathay’s Asia Miles, British Airways Executive Club, El Al Israel, Emirates Skywards, Frontier, Hawaiian Airlines, Iberia Plus, Jet Blue, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, Virgin Elevate, Virgin Atlantic, All Nippon Airways (ANA) Mileage Club
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by TelFunku
Promo page specifically notes that "while the conversion of Membership Rewards® points from American Express Cardmember accounts into Aeroplan Miles is still possible, it is not eligible for this bonus mile promotion."

No bonus on Amex MRs.
Hmm, I feel tricked. That's sneaky.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by tng11
There might be dubious value to actually keeping that first AMEX for its credit history. I've found that every AMEX card I've opened since I got my first one (except business) has been assigned the Opened date of my first AMEX in 2009. In other words, if you open another AMEX and correctly enter a card number you already have where it asks you - you should get a opened since date of whenever you got your first card with them, and it's basically like doing a product switch since you still have that account age on your report.

I'm in the funny situation where the more AMEX accounts I've opened, the more my credit score has gone up as each card I have been getting has been adding to the average age of my accounts.
Thanks for this info trg11.

Can you confirm that works from personal charge card to personal credit card (ie: Amex MR Gold to SPG to Amex Aero back to Amex MR Gold)? Perfect timing for this as I was just about to cancel before opening a new one.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:45 am

Ever since I opened up my first Amex Gold Rewards, all subsequent personal cards have picked up the same year (but month is the month I opened the new card).

I do not have my first Amex Gold any more, but the member since year on all other cards is still being reported as such.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:49 am

Hmm, I feel tricked. That's sneaky.
Why? Based on the history in my signature, Amex MR has been excluded for years. Also, it's not one of the logos shown on the promo (all hotels and car rentals) either, so little reason to expect it to count

Pre-Oct 2013 devaluation Aventura cardholder transfers aren't eligible either.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:11 am

Thanks for this info trg11.

Can you confirm that works from personal charge card to personal credit card (ie: Amex MR Gold to SPG to Amex Aero back to Amex MR Gold)? Perfect timing for this as I was just about to cancel before opening a new one.
Yep - my first AMEX was a Blue Sky I opened back in 2009. Every personal card I've opened since then shows my "Member Since" as 09 and on my report as well, though with the actual month I opened the card. Since then I've entered any AMEX card I've had and I've been able to keep the chain going.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines

I was told by an Amex CSR,, Always keep ONE card open, great for future churning. I always keep My Blue Sky ( No Fee ). open. All the other cards I churn.
I have an Amex card since 1998.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:36 pm

HA! Excellent observation! And thanks for sharing! ^
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Is there an Aeroplan credit card for students?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by yourbackseatkiller
Is there an Aeroplan credit card for students?
Yup, offered by CIBC.

https://www.cibc.com/ca/visa/aero-pl...dent-card.html

You most likely will have no issues getting approved with no prior credit history/substantial income.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: *void
Every personal card I've opened since then shows my "Member Since" as 09 and on my report as well, though with the actual month I opened the card. Since then I've entered any AMEX card I've had and I've been able to keep the chain going.
Originally Posted by mgn2000
I was told by an Amex CSR,, Always keep ONE card open, great for future churning. I always keep My Blue Sky ( No Fee ). open. All the other cards I churn.
I have an Amex card since 1998.
I can confirm as well. It's one of the benefits of being a long-time Amex cardholder. Each new Amex card bumps up my average age of accounts value, and with it a corresponding increase in my score.

I'm not sure if you need to supply a previous Amex card number during the application, as you should be able to call and have the Member Since adjusted anyways. Also, some people hint that you don't even need to always have at least one card opened, though I have my doubts about this

See this thread for relevant info:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ber-since.html

JJJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.