MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
You should start by figuring out where you want to go. This is a very open ended question.

One piece of advice, though, is blow that Avios balance before April 28th. Those points are devaluing, particularly for use on BA's one world partners. For example, going from YVR-HKG in J on CX currently costs 60k points one-way. That's jumping to 90k points after the devaluation.

The points will still be useful for short flights (e.g. YVR - LAX), but since you have so many I'd consider a bigger trip.

How'd you get that balance? If it's from spending on the RBC BA card, you may have earned a companion certificate. Do some googling on how that works.
Is it true that redemption with Avios will be more or less the same if booking in Y after April 28? I'm referring to this: http://cardmecanada.com/british-airways-avios-changes/
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan, British Airways, Alaska
Originally Posted by loun80
Hello fellow Canucks! I am just looking to get your opinion on how you would spend points based on what I currently have. It would be nice to get your opinion as I know many of your are very creative in maximizing points' redemption by taking interested routes and combining trips. I am based in YVR and I don't mind flying in Y or J.

So, if you had the following, how would you spend it?

Aeroplan Miles: 90,000
SPG Points: 80,000
Avios Points: 205,000
Asia Miles: 48,000
Do you want the beach or cities? Are you travelling alone? Are you concerned about YQ?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Hello fellow Canucks! I am just looking to get your opinion on how you would spend points based on what I currently have. It would be nice to get your opinion as I know many of your are very creative in maximizing points' redemption by taking interested routes and combining trips. I am based in YVR and I don't mind flying in Y or J.

So, if you had the following, how would you spend it?

I recently spent 35,000 aeroplan miles on the Bose QC20s and couldn't be happier. I know that value/mile is better spent on J seats, but with young kids at home no leisure trips for the foreseeable future.
And miles are meant to be spent anyways right!

SPG Moments often has cool events that you can use your miles for that you may not always be able to even buy outright.
https://auction.starwoodhotels.com/
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Your Aeroplan balance is a bit low. If you are flying alone you could get a Y redemption to Sydney (80,000) on United if lucky or AC ($880YQ). You could book the AC ticket then keep checking to see if United opens up seats.

Once in SYD, Avios J short haul to Brisbane, Melbourne etc on Qantas. Starwood points for hotels in Australian cities.

Can't help for the Asia Miles but maybe a connection from MEL/SYD to SIN or some other city?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
You should start by figuring out where you want to go. This is a very open ended question.

One piece of advice, though, is blow that Avios balance before April 28th. Those points are devaluing, particularly for use on BA's one world partners. For example, going from YVR-HKG in J on CX currently costs 60k points one-way. That's jumping to 90k points after the devaluation.

The points will still be useful for short flights (e.g. YVR - LAX), but since you have so many I'd consider a bigger trip.

How'd you get that balance? If it's from spending on the RBC BA card, you may have earned a companion certificate. Do some googling on how that works.
Lots of good info here.

Aeroplan does one way trips for half the Aeroplan points now, so you could string some of these together.

If you do not have the RBC Avios (not Avion) card, and can spend 30k over a reasonable amount of time, get it. It will effectively double your Avios points if you fly return on BA metal. Fuel surcharges are high, but in J or F it is worth it, IMO.

And those BA points are good value on CX once in Asia, if you go there, ie: HKG to SIN, BKK, etc

edited to add CX flights are not covered on the BA 2-4-1 earned through RBC Avios card

Last edited by drwilliams; Mar 25, 2015 at 8:42 am Reason: Clarity
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:15 am

Awesome info guys! I think I'll get to Asia and fly around in J with Aeroplan! The SPG moments' events are pretty cool too!

Last edited by loun80; Mar 25, 2015 at 9:23 am Reason: Typo
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:30 am

Awesome info guys! I think I'll get to Asia and fly around in J with Aeroplan! The SPG moments' events are pretty cool too!
Asia 1 J is 150K Aeroplan

Europe remains good value at 60K Y/90K J
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:06 am

He said get to Asia, so I assume find a cheap fare to anywhere in Asia 1, and fly around for 30k in J (best with Tokyo/Seoul)
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:37 am

That's right crimsona. I'll wait for a ~$600-700 flight to Asia in Y and then fly within Asia in J on points. I'll do the same in Europe. =)
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:07 pm

I currently have the capital one world MC; my annual fee has just come up, and I am trying to determine whether it is worth keeping the grandfathered card for the $20 a year (after the 10,000 points). Obviously cash is better than the points.

Any reason--for leverage down the line, other benefits, etc.--why it might make sense to keep?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:13 pm

$20 is peanuts considering the replacement card has no annual bonus.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:01 pm

definitely. but is it $20 that's worth spending, seeing as how i barely use the card. i suppose with the changes in merchant fees, maybe it's a good option for a few years down the line? though if they revoke the benefits/force the new card on us, then it's just a waste of money.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by ft531
definitely. but is it $20 that's worth spending, seeing as how i barely use the card. i suppose with the changes in merchant fees, maybe it's a good option for a few years down the line? though if they revoke the benefits/force the new card on us, then it's just a waste of money.
1) What card do you use for regular spending? CapOne MC is the main card I use when I'm not trying to meet minimum spend on cards for sign-up bonuses.. 2% in unrestricted travel credit is a pretty good deal if you are planning some costly (>600$) redemptions.

2) How many points are you sitting on? I assume you'd be downgrading to the no-fee card to keep the points anyway.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:22 pm

Capital One doesn't do product transfers, as far as I know.

I don't use mine much, but I do use it for things I want extended warranty on (other cards would likely be cancelled by the time I need it).

It is possible they downgrade the card in the future. However, you are guaranteed to lose it for good once you cancel, given that there's a defined replacement card already
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
For $20 I'm keeping mine. There are creative ways to get 1.90-1.95% on the lower tiered point levels.

The trip insurance from CapOne is something I've used twice. 2nd time took 6 months but I still got my $75 claim!

I was a heavy duty CapOne user, it was a huge pain in the ... having to pay the card down several times a month. Now I'm keeping it mainly for a backup, NoFrills and maybe for the trip insurance in future(but I've 3 big trips coming up with a policy for each). Using AeroPlat and TD Inf. Priv. to keep the Aeroplan balance up. My wife's big spending days are over as she's selling her biz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.