MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:03 am

Promo Question

Is this one of the better promotions Amex has marketed for miles? I believe they throw a promo once a year right? But is it true that you can only recieve miles from Amex once in your lifetime? If so, I want to either wait or make sure I sign up for the card that throws the highest amount of miles
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Jetsetter02
Is this one of the better promotions Amex has marketed for miles? I believe they throw a promo once a year right? But is it true that you can only recieve miles from Amex once in your lifetime? If so, I want to either wait or make sure I sign up for the card that throws the highest amount of miles
In the wikipost located at the top of this thread, you'll find a list of useful threads, including this one, dedicated to AMEX Canada cards. You'll find there that you can indeed get a a bonus several times with AMEX Canada. The "once in a lifetime" rule applies to US Amex accounts.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Jetsetter02
Not sure which card you are referring to or for which country. This is a Canadian only card forum and it sounds to me as though you're referring to U.S. cards who only have the ability to earn the bonus once.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Sucks to be American in this regard: one bonus, per person, per card, lifetime. I'm on my 2nd round on bonuses. To think though, I could have been doing this for YEARS.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Sucks to be American in this regard: one bonus, per person, per card, lifetime. I'm on my 2nd round on bonuses. To think though, I could have been doing this for YEARS.
Yes I hear the 100K AA card allows only once per every 24 months The US has it much better than us
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Yes I hear the 100K AA card allows only once per every 24 months The US has it much better than us
Actually, the 100K offer is dead, but the 50K Executive AA offer is fully churnable, seemingly endlessly. It really is a bonanza down here...
Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Oh yeah, when I think about all those wasted years with my excellent credit report just sitting there gathering dust...! LOL!

There's enough cards out there for me to take a leisurely stroll through each one about once every 2 years. I'm 2 cards into my second round through the Amex family now...!

My problem is that I have a couple of cards that I am really attached to (Amex Gold, Chase Marriott) and it's REALLY tough to let them go for a year, while I work on others. I am emotionally attached!
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
As per some earlier emails, I only got 30K instead of 40K on my AMEX Gold Business. What amex email did people respond to on this? Thanks
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by gspurr
As per some earlier emails, I only got 30K instead of 40K on my AMEX Gold Business. What amex email did people respond to on this? Thanks
I think you are referring to the Secure Message system via the Amex website.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by pokee
My problem is that I have a couple of cards that I am really attached to (Amex Gold, Chase Marriott) and it's REALLY tough to let them go for a year, while I work on others. I am emotionally attached!
I've kept my Chase Marriott since Aug 2012. I am willing to keep cards that provide an annual renewal perk (also a Capital One Aspire Travel World cardholder since it came out in 2010), even if new customers come out ahead. I've had decent luck with the Category 5 night in the past, although not so sure this year...
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
I've kept my Chase Marriott since Aug 2012. I am willing to keep cards that provide an annual renewal perk (also a Capital One Aspire Travel World cardholder since it came out in 2010), even if new customers come out ahead. I've had decent luck with the Category 5 night in the past, although not so sure this year...
Yeah, I completely agree with this - The Cat 5 perk is good with Chase Marriott, and it pays for my annual fee. I've had mine for 3 years now, too. BUT the list of available Cat 5 hotels I would frequent is dwindling, since they seem to be upped every year...

I also have the Cap One Aspire Travel, but the jury is out on whether or not I will keep in when I need to renew in the fall: will we all get our annual bonus? They've changed the card and no longer offer this perk. If not, it's gone...
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:08 pm

Its a tough call, because my 1 year is approaching and I just don't really have a use for the Cat 5 even though it is worth more than the annual fee.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by zer0k1
Its a tough call, because my 1 year is approaching and I just don't really have a use for the Cat 5 even though it is worth more than the annual fee.
The silver status has benefited me, as well (upgrades and extra points for stays). At the end of the day, I am not a super frequent traveller, so this 'pays' for status in hotel program for me. I think that adds tremendous value...
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
Yeah, I completely agree with this - The Cat 5 perk is good with Chase Marriott, and it pays for my annual fee. I've had mine for 3 years now, too. BUT the list of available Cat 5 hotels I would frequent is dwindling, since they seem to be upped every year...

I also have the Cap One Aspire Travel, but the jury is out on whether or not I will keep in when I need to renew in the fall: will we all get our annual bonus? They've changed the card and no longer offer this perk. If not, it's gone...
After this year's devaluation, it's getting much harder to justify. I used my signup first Cat 4 in Bellevue Valentine's Day (now cat 5), my second year's at downtown Seattle Springhill for New Year's Eve (now cat 6), and was stuck with nowhere to use the third year's cert except we decided to stay at the Springhill Bellingham the night before catching an early Vegas flight during the Family Day long weekend.

My letter from Capital One stated all benefits are being kept (and even specified the annual bonus), so I fully expect to receive it.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
After this year's devaluation, it's getting much harder to justify. I used my signup first Cat 4 in Bellevue Valentine's Day (now cat 5), my second year's at downtown Seattle Springhill for New Year's Eve (now cat 6), and was stuck with nowhere to use the third year's cert except we decided to stay at the Springhill Bellingham the night before catching an early Vegas flight during the Family Day long weekend.

My letter from Capital One stated all benefits are being kept (and even specified the annual bonus), so I fully expect to receive it.
LOL - the BLI SpringHill is my go-to freebie each year, too! I think it's the only one left! And that one just got upped, too!

I didn't get a letter from Cap One, but happy to hear that benefits are being kept! YAY! Thanks for the info!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.