MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by mitelsp
It loks that Capitalone pulled the IHG card..I was sitting on the fence to apply or not but now problem solved.
damn
Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
rather than spending hundreds of thousands trying to automate it for anti-churning like Amex has
What do you mean by that? Amex seems pretty churnable to me.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by emilio911
What do you mean by that? Amex seems pretty churnable to me.
With the new verbiage, good luck

This offer is only available to new American Express® Gold Rewards Cardmembers. For current or former American Express® Gold Rewards Cardmembers, we may approve your application, but you will not be eligible for the welcome bonus.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
Any CapOne Delta card holders get a refund of the Annual Fee? I sent them an online message and they replied

"Unfortunately, the annual membership fee won't be refunded. We regret
any inconvenience this may cause."
I was able to get a full refund by calling their customer support. I mentioned I had just signed up in February and that I wanted a refund on the annual fee.

It's unfortunate that they also didn't offer any other options, a new application was required if I wanted any of their other cards.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 6:05 pm

Capital one is the worst CC company I met

apply Aspire cash few years ago, only 3K limit, and I know lots of people apply that time also get 3K limit only with no reason

never late pay, and call Capital one always say no credit limit increase offer

get the IHG card, call in ask for two cards credit limit transfer, they said they don't do it, I can't believe it.

I wish I get the 2% grandfather cash rebate cards few years ago, then I'm one with them
Old Sep 11, 2015, 6:13 pm

Best western CC I just checked MBNA one just have 20K points?

I do use a lot Marriott CC since that's the only 2 CC I can use in USA without foreign transaction fee, although I know the points back is poor

Originally Posted by pokee
I fully agree with this. This is why none of my friends or family have the hotel cards that I do/did (Choice Hotels, BW, IHG, & Marriott) - MBNA, Cap One and Chase are not the 'highstreet' banks, as you put it). You need to be on these forums or be a big traveler to be aware. Thankfully Amex has SPG - but unfortunately that hotel program is worthless to me, so I always transfer points.

At least we still have Cap One's Aspire Travel MC to get money back for hotel stays, but even that card's longevity is in question. At least they didn't take away my annual bonus - otherwise, I would've turfed that one...

Considering how bad the US exchange rate is right now, those hotel credit card bonuses are more valuable than ever. I have a 3 night stay at a Best Western in NYC coming up in December...would've cost me $300US a night - which is $400CAD a night x 3 = $1200. My two churns over 2 years came in handy! Couple that with my IHG redemption for 5 nights in August @$300CAD per night, and my Marriott redemption for 2 nights in July @$300+CAD per night, I'd say I've done really well in the hotel redemption department this year!!!
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by ecgz88
Capital one is the worst CC company I met

apply Aspire cash few years ago, only 3K limit, and I know lots of people apply that time also get 3K limit only with no reason

never late pay, and call Capital one always say no credit limit increase offer

get the IHG card, call in ask for two cards credit limit transfer, they said they don't do it, I can't believe it.

I wish I get the 2% grandfather cash rebate cards few years ago, then I'm one with them
There's a reason why Cap 1 is such a crappy FI card provider. They are the lowest ethical, seediest and disrespectful predatory lender on the market. They usually give those with the best credit (i.e, the ones who can pay back the balances) with minimal credit limits, while at the same time heaping high limits onto those who may be appear to be less credit worthy, hoping they will over use their credit and pay interest on monthly unpaid balances, At the same time, by crippling the good credit people with a low limit, they're hoping they will exceed it and then ding them with over-limit fees on the next statement.

No thanks Martin Short, your multi-personality TV ad was funny, but not enough to persuade me to lean towards the Crappy 1 CCs.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:19 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by ecgz88
Best western CC I just checked MBNA one just have 20K points?
Yes, it's just a so-so signup offer nowadays, but if you need the points, go for the free points on this no-fee card. Apply through GCR and get $25 cash back, which is also low, but better than $0.

A couple of years ago MBNA ran 3 'short' promos for this card, twice at 50,000 welcome points, and once for 60,000 points...but not through GCR. Looks like MBNA aren't willing to promo this card at these elevated bonus levels anymore, it's been almost 2 years since the last gold rush.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
We successfully used the Cap One World MC for years with high spend for the 2% back. Never got dinged with other limit fees and kept having to pay throughout the month so that got around the $7,500 limit.

Discovered an easy hack to get the 2% back too whenever we wanted a credit.

TD is more of a pain to deal with. Cap One's web account site is the best by far. Being able to see the pending transactions is something I miss a LOT. Amex site is still in the Stone Age by comparison.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: CX, AF, UA
For hotel CC, is this the full current list?
- Amex SPG personal
- Amex SPG business
- MBNA Best Western
- Chase Marriott

First I thought this is sad, but now I think this is a joke by FI on Canadians. HA!
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by winebug
For hotel CC, is this the full current list?
- Amex SPG personal
- Amex SPG business
- MBNA Best Western
- Chase Marriott

First I thought this is sad, but now I think this is a joke by FI on Canadians. HA!
Yep, seems like it, after Cap1 IHG is discontinued

may as well use AMEX MR/Aeroplan to redeem for hotel
or go for cashback/travel-credit cards
Old Sep 12, 2015, 2:55 pm

Cool

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Discovered an easy hack to get the 2% back too whenever we wanted a credit.
I'm curious. What is it?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:29 am

Why do all my cancelled MBNA cards still appear as if they are active online? Should I be concerned that they didn't really cancel them?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zer0k1
Why do all my cancelled MBNA cards still appear as if they are active online? Should I be concerned that they didn't really cancel them?
My cards all appear online too - spoke to a rep on the phone and they confirmed that the card was canceled but for whatever reason it takes forever to have it drop off online. My Alaska Plat has been canceled since August and it's still online...
Old Sep 14, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by emilio911
I'm curious. What is it?
Now that I don't use the card.....

It's easier if you have over $650 but I've done it for the $350&$150 level too.

Simply create an account at hotels.ca and make a booking for as close to $350 as you can. With taxes added AFTER this can take a while, you have to play with # of days,locations and a new wrinkle "pay now" (not at the hotel!!). And obviously 100% refundable. Book a pay now stay and then go cancel the booking. I usually waited 30 seconds . A few days later the travel charge and credit will show up as separate items. Just go into the reward engine and choose the hotel.ca charge and process the credit.

The last one I used was for $148.50.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.