MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:21 am

I wouldn't do the deeplink directly, just a link to the parent accompanying cashback page will do so that people can read details as needed.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: Avios, AMEX, AeroPlan, BMO, AS, WestJet
edit: removed personal tip because its probably going to be abused pretty badly

ill give a hint at though which should make it very very easy to deduce, when you pay annual fee for a premium cc, you get your initial bonus, but most banks will let you switch to another premium cc...and ___________

Last edited by microcosm; Sep 11, 2014 at 12:42 pm
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:38 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by microcosm
bunch of primates who ruined the WIKI after I spent valuable time fixing it, there needs to be a negged option for these simpletons
As stated previously, if you notice someone vandalizing the wiki, you need to report it to your MilesBuzz! moderating staff. This is a serious infraction that results in suspension of access to FT.

MileageAddict
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:49 pm

I actually disagree with microcosm - the wiki was edited for good reasons.

Trying to make people use his non-standard abbreviation (NFFY). As another stated, too much alphabet soup.

Each card was not in a standard format. Now it's Card - First Year Free if applicable, Annual fee (which was not listed for many cards), rebates + benefits. As stated, some cards I have no problem keeping after the first year (depending on the annual fee and the annual renewal bonuses)
Old Sep 12, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by pointshogger
Excellent job. The list looks great! It really needed some updating. I'm still waiting to get enough posts to have permission to do some editing whenever appropriate.
But you already had a link to your personal site in the Wiki, added by someone (an FT-friend?), and it was there until just recently. Someone must've removed it. Wasn't me.

Who actually decides which external/blog sites are allowed to be added to the Wiki? I think under the newly revised FT ToS, members are allowed to add their own blog (travel related?) website to their own signatures, but why are there individual/private blog sites being added to the MilesBuzz Wiki?

Perhaps it's time for me to create my own site, chronicling my own exploits, so I can generate some traffic and earn some $$$.

Originally Posted by crimsona
I wouldn't do the deeplink directly, just a link to the parent accompanying cashback page will do so that people can read details as needed.
I agree.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
Makes total sense. Done.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, British Airways, Alaska
Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
If no one sees any objection, we should add the link again to the Wiki, thus it will easier be for FTers to find the cashback offer.
No objection here.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Why use RedFlagDeals at all for the cashback? I've been using Great Canadian Rebates for years and found it much more reliable and bonuses are nice.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
Question What to do with my points?

Alright, change of subject for a moment...

I'm looking to switch my RBC signature card to a non points card. If I do that, I lose my points within 90 days if not redeemed.

I have 100k points. I'm not redeeming for non flight rewards.

I need to transfer my points out. Best option?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Cphil1
Alright, change of subject for a moment...

I'm looking to switch my RBC signature card to a non points card. If I do that, I lose my points within 90 days if not redeemed.

I have 100k points. I'm not redeeming for non flight rewards.

AA or BA. depends on your flight needs.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by msp3
Why use RedFlagDeals at all for the cashback? I've been using Great Canadian Rebates for years and found it much more reliable and bonuses are nice.
Because GCR doesn't offer cashback at the moment for the Scotia Gold AMEX card.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
Ba or aa

Originally Posted by yerffej201
AA or BA. depends on your flight needs.
Mostly short haul from yul to fll(Mia) or for one long haul to Europe.

How can I get aa via rbc rewards? There's no aa card. Ba is there though, would I really want ba? I'm not so sure...

I heard about the atrocities ba puts u through to find and book tickets with partner airlines. Not sure I want to go that route.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:22 am

Mostly short haul from yul to fll(Mia) or for one long haul to Europe.

How can I get aa via rbc rewards? There's no aa card. Ba is there though, would I really want ba? I'm not so sure...

I heard about the atrocities ba puts u through to find and book tickets with partner airlines. Not sure I want to go that route.
You can convert RBC Rewards points to American Airlines AAdvantage or British Airways Executive Club. Both programs allow you to book AA flights.
RBC sometimes offers a 50% bonus when converting points to BA Avios. Last one was in May-June this year.
BA's award chart is distance-based, whereas AA's one is zone-based.

For instance, YUL-MIA is 1400 miles long.
Using AA miles to book this flight will require 25,000 AAdvantage miles per economy roundtrip award ticket. (AA award chart)
Using BA points to book this will require 20,000 avios per economy roundtrip award ticket. (Your guide to spending avios)
It's very easy to book online at ba.com, and you can redeposit the miles for almost free if you need to cancel (you just forfeit the amount of taxes paid — usually a few $)

For Europe, it's probably better to transfer to AA, and redeem your AA miles on oneworld airlines (except BA and —to a lesser extent— IB, which incur high Fuel Surcharges). A one-way from North America to Europe is 20k (Off-peak Economy), 30k (Peak Economy), 50k (Business) and 62.5k (First). See AAdvantage oneworld and other airlines award chart

Last edited by Hyacinthe; Sep 15, 2014 at 4:37 am
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Esso Extra is another place you could hold them.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:33 am

My sig has the history of promos. Look for the AA and BA sections

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.