MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by heraclitus
Great find re: the TD Biz Aero Infinite Visa. Thanks!

But before I begin the TD application rigamarole, can anyone say how sticky they are on the "Business" part? Is it like Amex or do they want some kind of supporting documentation? I figure I'd apply anyway but this will help me know how much effort to put into it

Edit: So I applied using the data from my rental property business. Two things made me nervous: mortgage field maxes out at five figures so I wasn't able to correctly list mortgages on all of my properties, and the fact that nowhere on the TD website is there any mention of the FYF fee waiver. I took screenshots of the AE website but I feel like I am descending into the depths of deniability in which TD will deny that there ever was such an offer
Sorry for the late response. Life keeps one busy, as you know.

Anyway, when I tried to apply for the TD Aeroplan Visa Business card earlier this year, they flat out refused to let me apply as a sole proprietorship, using my first name/last name as my company name (which is acceptable by Amex for their Small Biz Gold Rewards card). Phone reps said I could, but they said I would have to contact a branch to setup a business account first. And I spoke with two different branch managers, and both said I needed to have a legitimate business, and that I would need to open a TD Biz banking account (monthly fees) to be eligible to get this card.

Looking at the main TD page for the Aero Visa:
http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/product...n_business.jsp
Important business documents you will need when applying for
a TD Business Credit Card for your Small Business

If your Small Business is new to TD:
Master Business License: for Sole Proprietors or Corporations operating under a trade name
Partnership Agreement: for Partnerships
Articles of Incorporation: for Corporations
So, as a sole proprietorship, what qualifies as a "Master Business License"?

BTW, for the FYF, I would definitely apply via phone or in-branch, and not rely on the online application.

Should this discussion move to the "Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card"?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:17 am

Some details from the Capital One Costco Platinum MasterCard have been published on rewardscanada.ca. Application will be available soon at http://www.capitalone.ca/costco

Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
So, as a sole proprietorship, what qualifies as a "Master Business License"?
This only applies to Sole Proprietors operating under a trade name. If you operate your business under your own name, you don't need this.
If you check this detailed list,
The following may also be required:
  • Notice of Assessment (last 2 years): You will need to provide income confirmation for you business by bringing you Notices of Assessment issued by the federal government to your business after your business taxes have been paid.
  • Business Financial Statements: You will need to provide copies of the financial statements for your business in support of your TD Business Credit Card application.
So the agents are right, you need to at least have a business account in your own name somewhere to apply for this business credit card as it will constitute your Business Financial Statements.

Last edited by Hyacinthe; Sep 25, 2014 at 1:34 am
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
OK, so probably not gonna happen for me with TD. I actually do have a business to the extent that rental properties constitute such a thing, but likely not structured so formally as to meet TD's requirements. Thanks for clarifying!
Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan , AMEX
Master Card at Costco Canada

Just returned from shopping at Costco ( Mississauga On. ) Sept 25 2014
For a joke asked if I can pay with mastercard ( World Elite ) they said no problem , and transaction went thru .

So for a time being you can use any Mastercard and Amex to pay at Costco Canada , untill Jan 2015 when Amex will no longer be accepted.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: SPG, Aeroplan, WJ, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold, Fairmont PC, IHG, Marriott, Airmiles, Aventura,Avion
I have a small business that I incorporated under a business name, a GST number, business account, etc., at RBC. However, it's a new business and I have been using personal credit cards for expenses and keeping track on Quickbooks. If I want to apply for a business card that gives good rewards/benefits and hopefully has the annual fee waived for a year, which would be my best bet? Who gives out their cards the easiest?
I have cards at CIBC, RBC and one Amex card. I don't like Cap 1 and had a MC with them that I asked to close out and then they denied me for another card when I have very good credit and have never had an issue with any other cards. I was shocked to be denied but don't want to deal with them anymore.
I am an Aeroplan collector and obviously, RBC rewards because of my RBC US Visa card.
I just don't have 2 years of business statements to show to get a business credit card so don't know which one to apply for.

By the way, has anyone had experience with the RBC US credit cards?

http://www.rbcbank.com/banking-in-th...rds/index.html

The no fee cards seem to have a lot of benefits, equivalent to my Visa Infinite cards or even better, actually, that I pay $120 for no fee. What's the catch?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by ericosuave
Just returned from shopping at Costco ( Mississauga On. ) Sept 25 2014
For a joke asked if I can pay with mastercard ( World Elite ) they said no problem , and transaction went thru .

So for a time being you can use any Mastercard and Amex to pay at Costco Canada , untill Jan 2015 when Amex will no longer be accepted.
Yes, this has been confirmed by many on RedFlagDeals.com
and Costco seems to have applicatoins for the Cap1 MC also
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:57 pm

TD will give you FYF (actually "forever" free) if you open a chequing account (they have a special name for it) and keep $5k in it. I have that setup for my First Class Visa and they'll offer to swap in the Visa Infinite Aeroplan (and still get the 15k points).
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:01 pm
alc

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
TD will give you FYF (actually "forever" free) if you open a chequing account (they have a special name for it) and keep $5k in it. I have that setup for my First Class Visa and they'll offer to swap in the Visa Infinite Aeroplan (and still get the 15k points).
But I didn't thought the TD Aeroplan card is one of the VISA they will waive the annual fee forever, i.e. not listed as part of their All-Inclusive benefit.

You might have switch from the First Class VISA to the TD Aeroplan and didn't pay the annual fee on your 1st statement, but I do wonder if you will get that waive next year.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by alc
But I didn't thought the TD Aeroplan card is one of the VISA they will waive the annual fee forever, i.e. not listed as part of their All-Inclusive benefit.

You might have switch from the First Class VISA to the TD Aeroplan and didn't pay the annual fee on your 1st statement, but I do wonder if you will get that waive next year.
You may be right. I didn't ask about the 2nd year. However, I'd bet that if you asked to switch back to the First Class Visa before the renewal, they'd waive the fee again.

Anyhow, I might do this, just to get the extra 10k spending bonus.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:37 am

I'm not sure if this is a one time glitch I've stumbled upon or if it can be done multiple times without being suspicious. I have several amex cards and sent an online bank payment to the wrong card (airmiles earning) by mistake and called amex to have the charge switched to the card with an outstanding balance (aeroplan earning). I had been using the aeroplan card and there was no activity/purchases on the airmiles card so it could not have generated any airmiles. Amex transferred the payment from the airmiles card to the aeroplan card at no cost and I got the value of the payment in my airmiles account plus the value of the charges in my aeroplan account. Double points! I was only expecting to get the aeroplan points.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 1:27 pm

Hey for the Chase (Canada) Marriott card, is that 50k offer really public? I called in and asked about it and simply mentioned "hey, I hear there has been a 50k offer in the past". the CSR confirmed that they are offering it now (i.e the 50k) but only people with elite status at Marriott can get that bonus. Everyone else gets 30k.

Can anyone confirm or refute? I've been waiting for the 50k offer and want a no-FX fee card.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 1:44 pm

Hey for the Chase (Canada) Marriott card, is that 50k offer really public? I called in and asked about it and simply mentioned "hey, I hear there has been a 50k offer in the past". the CSR confirmed that they are offering it now (i.e the 50k) but only people with elite status at Marriott can get that bonus. Everyone else gets 30k.

Can anyone confirm or refute? I've been waiting for the 50k offer and want a no-FX fee card.
I don't see any Elite requirement in their public offer link, nor have I heard anyone being rejected because of non-Elite

Just apply online, good luck
http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm

EARN 50,000 BONUS POINTS AFTER YOUR FIRST CARD PURCHASE*
PLUS, UPON APPROVAL, FIRST-TIME MARRIOTT REWARDS VISA CARDMEMBERS WILL RECEIVE A FREE NIGHT STAY
E-CERTIFICATE VALID FOR 6 MONTHS AT ANY PARTICIPATING CATEGORY 1-4 MARRIOTT® LOCATION WORLDWIDE * - TOGETHER THAT’S ENOUGH FOR 7 FREE NIGHTS
Earn 50,000 bonus points after your first card purchase that you can redeem for 6 Free Nights at a Category 1 hotel. Plus, upon approval, first-time Marriott Rewards Visa Cardmembers will also receive a free night stay e-certificate valid for 6 months at any participating Category 1-4 Marriott location worldwide. Together, that's enough for up to 7 free nights at a Category 1 hotel.*
Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:29 pm

If you apply through one of the online links, I don't think they can even tell, and your account just gets 50k for the signup and spend.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 5:47 pm

I applied a few months ago through the link and received the 50k. I have no elite status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.