MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by bjywong
So is the Alaska Airlines MasterCard worth churning now that the GCR rebate is gone? I was hoping to churn it a few times to get enough points for a business class international flight (150,000 points) but that would be equal to $450 worth of annual fees.
i'd definitely be willing to pay $450 for 150k miles. i think it's a decent offer, and it's not going to change in my opinion, so if you do need those alaska miles then get them.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: aeroplan, delta, aa
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
I just got the Chase Marriott Visa (Canadian version.) It really makes no sense to pay 2.5% to Amex or CIBC to get Aeroplan points in foreign countries. I looked at various options and settled on the Marriott-branded card because it works in all countries, not just the US. Although the Marriott points aren't as valuable as Amex or Aeroplan points to me, I figure the 2.5% savings covers off those points I'm not getting and the Marriott ones are just a bonus. It does earn 2 points per $1 on car rental and restaurants, and 5 points at Marriotts, but only 1 point/$ at other hotels - I suppose that makes sense given it's a Marriott-branded card. It also gives Silver status by crediting you with 15 nights so you need _only_ 35 more nights to get Gold status.

They have a tiered system, so low numbers of points transfer at a lower ratios than higher. 10k Marriott points transfer to Aeroplan or Avios at a 5:1 ratio (yuck.) Once you have 70k it's 2.8:1. And, you can always use them for hotel stays.
Thanks. I did not know that Marriott points transfer to Aeroplan. First year is free, so I might as well get one!
Old Oct 13, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by helraiser
I was in the US recently and used my TD IP Visa... no services fees and just Visa's exchange fee at the time.
Not sure what the the TD IP card is, but unless there's a legacy card I don't know about, the only time TD doesn't add the 2.5% fx fee is if you use their no-reward US $ card in the US. Here's the verbage from their T&Cs:

For TD Canada Trust Credit Cards except TD U.S. Dollar Credit Cards
We will bill you in Canadian dollars for any transaction made on your Account in a foreign currency. We will convert that transaction by applying our foreign currency conversion rate in effect on the date that the transaction is posted to your Account, which is the rate established by VISA applicable on the date that the transaction is posted to your Account, plus a foreign currency conversion fee of 2.5%. For complete details, see your TD Canada Trust Credit Cardholder Agreement.

For TD U.S. Dollar Credit Cards
We will bill you in U.S. Dollars for any transaction made on your Account in a foreign currency (including Canadian Dollars). We will convert that transaction by applying our foreign currency conversion rate in effect on the date that the transaction is posted to your Account, which is the rate established by VISA applicable on the date that the transaction is posted to your Account, plus a foreign currency conversion fee of 2.5%. For complete details, see your TD Canada Trust U.S. Dollar Credit Cardholder Agreement.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
So is the Alaska Airlines MasterCard worth churning now that the GCR rebate is gone? I was hoping to churn it a few times to get enough points for a business class international flight (150,000 points) but that would be equal to $450 worth of annual fees.
Are you thinking Emirates?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Are you thinking Emirates?
Hi Preacher, yes I am leaning towards wanting to try Emirates. Though Cathay Pacific would be a nice secondary choice

Thoughts?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 4:05 pm

Hi Preacher, yes I am leaning towards wanting to try Emirates. Though Cathay Pacific would be a nice secondary choice

Thoughts?
I would go for Cathay Business over Emirates Business any day of the week...
Old Oct 13, 2014, 4:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club

Thoughts?
For business, go CX over EK. For first, other way around. The showers are unbeatable.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 4:36 pm

alexisonsmith and pseudo - thanks for your feedback! Not to derail this thread into a different discussion, but I am not terribly picky at this point. I booked my first business class trip to SE asia next year (through AP) and I am flying a combination of Air Canada, Thai Airways, and Singapore Airlines.

I am sure I will have more discerning tastes after that trip :-)

I still have much to learn from you fine folks here (Just found out I could have avoided YQ on the thai airways segment of my trip...)
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: AE, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
Not sure what the the TD IP card is, but unless there's a legacy card I don't know about, the only time TD doesn't add the 2.5% fx fee is if you use their no-reward US $ card in the US. Here's the verbage from their T&Cs:

For TD Canada Trust Credit Cards except TD U.S. Dollar Credit Cards
We will bill you in Canadian dollars for any transaction made on your Account in a foreign currency. We will convert that transaction by applying our foreign currency conversion rate in effect on the date that the transaction is posted to your Account, which is the rate established by VISA applicable on the date that the transaction is posted to your Account, plus a foreign currency conversion fee of 2.5%. For complete details, see your TD Canada Trust Credit Cardholder Agreement.

For TD U.S. Dollar Credit Cards
We will bill you in U.S. Dollars for any transaction made on your Account in a foreign currency (including Canadian Dollars). We will convert that transaction by applying our foreign currency conversion rate in effect on the date that the transaction is posted to your Account, which is the rate established by VISA applicable on the date that the transaction is posted to your Account, plus a foreign currency conversion fee of 2.5%. For complete details, see your TD Canada Trust U.S. Dollar Credit Cardholder Agreement.
This is the TD Aeroplan Infinite Priviledge visa card. I also read in the terms that there is a 2.5% fee but I wasn't charged the fee. It may have been an exemption rather than the rule but I'm back in the US in November and again in Jan.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:42 pm

This is the TD Aeroplan Infinite Priviledge visa card. I also read in the terms that there is a 2.5% fee but I wasn't charged the fee. It may have been an exemption rather than the rule but I'm back in the US in November and again in Jan.
Credit card companies don't usually charge it as a separate fee. The 2.5% would be included in the Canadian dollar amount that shows for the transaction on your statement.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:49 pm

Thoughts?
The Emirates first class experience (including the DXB F Loinge) is unbeatable, IMO. It's my favorite F redemption, edging out Etihad and Singapore, which are also great. Unless you're flying those airlines, and I've been told CX, the points premium for F over Biz is usually not worth it. Having said that, if you were planning on earning 150K AS miles, why not make one more churn and get the 180 K needed for a rt F flight on Emirates? OTOH, you could consider this: Use 90K for a one way DXB to somewhere in NA on the Shower plane. Fly biz on something else for the outbound and then you decide if the extra ponts are worth it. Last time I did this in April, it was me, George Clooney and his fiancée as the only 3 people in F for 16 hours!
An all-world Biz experience is also one of AP's best redemption options: TK Biz, with no YQ! So I'd try to use your AP points for that, and your AS points for the former. My 2 cents. Plus, you can also get AS points from an SPG transfer. That's one thing that the Canadian CC world has better than the US: Amex MR transfers are better in Canada...2:1 v 3:1.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: Avios, AMEX, AeroPlan, BMO, AS, WestJet
Originally Posted by catarina
My mistake, that's wrong. You just have to book your ticket using your Westjet ID that your RBC World Elite MC is attached to in order to receive the first checked bag free.

C
I've cancelled my westjet world elite MC but got the $250 bonus and $99 companion voucher as well, but my interest is mostly using the benefits like first free checked bag. So if I log onto westjet and using my westjet account and the ID that was originally (and still is I believe) associated with rbc world MC card, and book a westjet flight using diff CC, do I still get the benefits of westjet world MC?

Secondly they never ask to see scan the card or anything? I still have the card but its cancelled so a flash would be okay, but a scan... erm would show them its cancelled
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
The Emirates first class experience (including the DXB F Loinge) is unbeatable, IMO. It's my favorite F redemption, edging out Etihad and Singapore, which are also great. Unless you're flying those airlines, and I've been told CX, the points premium for F over Biz is usually not worth it. Having said that, if you were planning on earning 150K AS miles, why not make one more churn and get the 180 K needed for a rt F flight on Emirates? OTOH, you could consider this: Use 90K for a one way DXB to somewhere in NA on the Shower plane. Fly biz on something else for the outbound and then you decide if the extra ponts are worth it. Last time I did this in April, it was me, George Clooney and his fiancée as the only 3 people in F for 16 hours!
An all-world Biz experience is also one of AP's best redemption options: TK Biz, with no YQ! So I'd try to use your AP points for that, and your AS points for the former. My 2 cents. Plus, you can also get AS points from an SPG transfer. That's one thing that the Canadian CC world has better than the US: Amex MR transfers are better in Canada...2:1 v 3:1.
i personally wouldn't transfer amex -> spg unless you had lots of amex. if getting as i'd definitely use them for ek.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
i personally wouldn't transfer amex -> spg unless you had lots of amex. if getting as i'd definitely use them for ek.
Agreed. Without a BA transfer bonus, MR transfers to AP make the most sense. For a short while, you could transfer them for a 16% loss to US through points.com. But with the historic United deval of 2013, AP now has the inside track on *A premium cabin redemptions. As I implied in my post above, I plan on using my Aeros for TK Biz redemptions.

What makes an SPG transfer tempting, though, is to hedge against an AP deval, which is always a possibility without warning. You know your SPG points will always be worth a lot.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:04 am

Blended into the exchange rate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.