MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:14 pm

Almost December and still no MBNA on GCR.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Almost December and still no MBNA on GCR.
hope it shows up soon cuz i need a better Mastercard for Costco once January rolls around...
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:36 pm

Buy a couple thousand in Costco Cash cards with Amex and let MBNA take their sweet time. Or buy it after Jan 1 with Visa on Costco.ca
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
I'm confused??? Isn't churning off the table since jan this year? Didn't amex apply the "no rewards for same card reapplications"?

Or did they stop this? I'm due for another gold reward card if they did!

Also, if I want to meet min spend can I buy CT GC (example) and pay my CT cc with them? That would be sweet and easy to get spend.

Phil
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
That's weird,

I had rbc avion points and redeemed them for avios w/50% bonus. Was able to book direct flights for me and the family @ 20k each (or 30k biz) RT YUL-MIA direct. Only 62$ taxes kills any other airline taxes (AC 135$, UA 110$, DA 120$...)

Heck I'm flying with partner airline AA and the taxes are even cheaper than booking straight with them!

That is the best return on your miles. Even if MIA is not always the best airport. I'm willing to suck it up for the insane savings.

Phil

Originally Posted by LearningToFly
I have 130000 avios to burn. Besides NYC I am unable to find anything ex-YUL for 9000 avios on OW. MIA is 24000 avios, 48000 in J.

Last edited by Cphil1; Nov 24, 2014 at 4:44 pm
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Cphil1
I'm confused??? Isn't churning off the table since jan this year? Didn't amex apply the "no rewards for same card reapplications"?

Or did they stop this? I'm due for another gold reward card if they did!
The once per lifetime policy was only implemented for our friends, south of the border (USA). Gold Reward card is still 25K MR, $0 FYF and only $500 spending requirement...get an extra $50 by applying through GCR.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by Cerenity
hope it shows up soon cuz i need a better Mastercard for Costco once January rolls around...
If I was flogging mastercards right now, not sure I would offer anything more than "next year Costco will only take MasterCard". I think you would get a ton of sign ups just from that.

Manipulate google search terms MasterCard and Costco.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:28 pm

I m looking for cards to churn for this holiday season. I cancelled marroitt, amex gold and td aeroplan last month so can't get those. I won't be able to spend enough to justify a first year fee. I currently have the mbna smart cash, chase amazon and td travel visa (waived fees). Besides the ones listed on wiki here, any other cards worth considering?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by kenwood
I m looking for cards to churn for this holiday season. I cancelled marroitt, amex gold and td aeroplan last month so can't get those. I won't be able to spend enough to justify a first year fee. I currently have the mbna smart cash, chase amazon and td travel visa (waived fees). Besides the ones listed on wiki here, any other cards worth considering?
Your TD Travel Visa...what is that? The First Class Travel? Not the Aeroplan Visa, right?

Currently, the TD Aeroplan Visa cards are on promo for $0 FYF. The Infinite Visa is the more popular one to apply for, with 15K welcome points and additional 10K after $1000 spending in 3 months. You can apply through GCR to get extra $50 cash rebate (till Dec 19th, I believe). OR, alternatively, if you don't want to take a credit hit, you might want to consider switching your TD Travel Visa to this card, but you may or may not get the promo with the waived first year fees.

[edit]: I know you said you just cancelled one last month, but you can't get another TD Aeroplan Visa if you've applied for one in the last 6 months...key wording is "applied". Even then, it's YMMV.

Last edited by JJonahJ; Nov 25, 2014 at 10:08 pm
Old Nov 26, 2014, 1:35 pm

Someone posted in the AS Canadian MasterCard thread, that he applied for two cards and did not receive the 25k bonus on the second card. Anyone else been seeing this as of late? I thought every new application counts as a new account and therefore you are eligible for the 25k bonus again.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ercard-35.html
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
My sons bonus didn't hit on his first ever AS card, but here's the reason: b/c it was during the TD transition time b/w mid-September and mid-October. instead of the bonus hitting after approval, like it usually does, in his case it hit when his first statement settled.

Last edited by Preacher7; Nov 26, 2014 at 2:43 pm
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:18 pm

Milesbuzz: Canada

let's just all panic
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: Enough
My take is that the credit inquiries were done too soon together, and AS just cancelled out the second inquiry. If a second account was indeed opened, then the person is entitled to an additional 25k. The T&S limits one bonus per account. Every new credit line is a new account, and is therefore entitled to a unique sign up bonus.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
let's just all panic
Sound the alarm
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
If you're gonna sound the alarm over any sort of miles, do it over AS ones. They are the most valuable in the business!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.