MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
Oh wow,

Didn't even see that one when I posted my inside scoop. Oh well, at least now anyone can get 15k bonus and FYF on top of the 50%!

Phil

Originally Posted by alc
you mean post #1094 on this thread?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Where's the link to apply for the FYF RBC Avion?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Where's the link to apply for the FYF RBC Avion?
I think its the ongoing promo where they'll give you FYF if you show them you have a Visa Infinite from another issuer.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by yerffej201
I think its the ongoing promo where they'll give you FYF if you show them you have a Visa Infinite from another issuer.
So do you actually have to apply in person? Is there no online FYF offer for that card?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:10 pm

So do you actually have to apply in person? Is there no online FYF offer for that card?
No online FYF offer, to my knowledge.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:32 am

When I got my card a few months back, I applied online (under the impression that it was FYF). Turns out it wasn't FYF at the time, but two phone calls in, the CSR fixed that for me. Just be persistent!
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan, BA Executive, DL Skymiles, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, National Executive Elite
Does anyone know when the GCR promo is coming back for the Alaska Airlines card?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by siaa380
Does anyone know when the GCR promo is coming back for the Alaska Airlines card?
http://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/display/MBNA/

"MBNA CARD OFFERS WILL BE BACK IN NOVEMBER"

so my guess is sometime in November
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:28 am

Interested in the Capital one IHG cc. How long does it take for Platinum status to show up in my IHG account? I have a few IHG stays coming up over the next month or two and wondering if I'd be platinum in time
Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:34 am

Milesbuzz: Canada

2 months
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
I called and applied over the phone last week. It was a LONG process. They went over all my financial details in ridiculous detail! In spite of pulling up my credit report and basically saying it was fine they still wanted to know things like my heating and hydro costs. Now I have an appt at a branch where I have to bring in my t4 from last year, a recent pay stub and 3 months worth of statements from my checking account to basically prove what my credit report already tells them. I wasn't expecting to have to jump through this many hoops for this at all. If I had it to do again I'd just apply online and then call to get the fee waived if that works.

I know I've read some things about avios redemptions to the U.S. being a great deal but I need to look into that a bit further, I'm not sure if I can use them departing from YOW. If not I guess I'll see what else I can do with 15k avion points - I don't plan on using that card much. As far as long haul J, I think the taxes/YQ are really high. Is that correct or are there YQ free options like there are with aeroplan? If there are I'll consider moving a bunch of points to avios. If there's a thread discussing this can someone let me know? Otherwise I'll figure it out eventually.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan, BA Executive, DL Skymiles, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Cerenity
http://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/display/MBNA/

"MBNA CARD OFFERS WILL BE BACK IN NOVEMBER"

so my guess is sometime in November
Thanks :P I was hoping someone would actually know when in November
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by tryinginvain
I know I've read some things about avios redemptions to the U.S. being a great deal but I need to look into that a bit further, I'm not sure if I can use them departing from YOW. If not I guess I'll see what else I can do with 15k avion points - I don't plan on using that card much. As far as long haul J, I think the taxes/YQ are really high. Is that correct or are there YQ free options like there are with aeroplan? If there are I'll consider moving a bunch of points to avios. If there's a thread discussing this can someone let me know? Otherwise I'll figure it out eventually.
I've used it before YUL - New York, and that's a great deal. I'm not sure if there's any nonstop AA flights into YOW? You might be able to find availability YOW - PHL on US airways, but I've never found any from YUL - PHL so YMMV. As for low YQ long haul, BOS-DUB/SNN is a great deal, and JFK-DUS/TXL (air berlin) is good as well.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by tryinginvain
I know I've read some things about avios redemptions to the U.S. being a great deal but I need to look into that a bit further, I'm not sure if I can use them departing from YOW.
I think the only direct flights to/from Ottawa on One World are to Charlotte and Philadelphia both on US Airways, no? So you could transfer RBC Avion to BA Avios (especially now given that there's the 1.5x promo), and then use your 22,500 points to do 2 round-trip flights (9,000 each round trip) and still have enough for a one-way to either of those places. Montreal has a few more options (Chicago, NYC), in addition to slightly farther places (Dallas, Miami etc).
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by timeo
I think the only direct flights to/from Ottawa on One World are to Charlotte and Philadelphia both on US Airways, no? So you could transfer RBC Avion to BA Avios (especially now given that there's the 1.5x promo), and then use your 22,500 points to do 2 round-trip flights (9,000 each round trip) and still have enough for a one-way to either of those places. Montreal has a few more options (Chicago, NYC), in addition to slightly farther places (Dallas, Miami etc).
Chicago is 7500 points one way from YUL.

Just got this email:

Originally Posted by americanexpress;
Add Supplementary Cards to your account1 and you can reach your travel destination in no time. Supplementary Cards let you share many of your Card’s benefits with those close to you. Supplementary Cards allow you to earn more Aeroplan®* Miles, while enjoying the simplicity of one account.

Earn Aeroplan Miles at your current rate on all purchases charged to Supplementary Cards2
Apply and you can receive 1,000 Bonus Aeroplan Miles for each approved Supplementary American Express® AeroplanPlus®* Gold Card added to your account3
The first 2 Supplementary Cards are FREE1, additional Supplementary Cards are $50 each, annually*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.