MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:12 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
We're looking for a card for + 1. Between being recent immigrants (short credit history) and disparate income, it hasn't been easy. Which banks allow you to apply using household income? So far, Capital One, Amex, and Scotiabank all appear to require personal income on their applications.
Not sure what you're looking for here, or rather, what's in the best interest for your +1. There's so many cards to choose from, hard to say what's best for your situation.

Are you looking for no-fee cards? To hold onto without churning, for the purpose of building up credit history? Numerous cards in this category.

Or rewards/points cards, which may or may not have $0 FYF? And your +1 is looking to hold onto, agreeing to pay an AF? Churning without established credit is probably/obviously not what you're looking to do, right?
Three examples that come to mind are:
BMO World Elite MC - household income $120K
CIBC Aerogold Infinite Visa - household income $100K
TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite - $100,000 Annual gross household income
Only the TD card currently has a $0 FYF offering, plus $50 cash rebate if applied through GCR.

Again, getting back to building credit strength, if you/+1 bank with any of the above and have any establish history with them, I'd first contact the FI and ask if there is a pre-approved credit limit offer on the +1's file first, so that you can apply with no credit pulls.

And FWIW, I believe household income is defined as being the amount combined between spousal units (not parents/children).
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:13 am

Let's not forget one of the favourites in Canada....the Amex Gold is household income.

It's the only Amex that I care about that is based on household income. Otherwise, the Amex personal income requirements are ridiculously low. $40k for Plat, for example.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Not sure what you're looking for here, or rather, what's in the best interest for your +1. There's so many cards to choose from, hard to say what's best for your situation.
Ideally, minimal or no annual fee and some benefit. As long as she could include my income, we should have no problem. I just got the Amex Simply Cash card to replace the Amex Gold I'm about to cancel, and I also have the amazon.ca and President's Choice cards. I just transferred all my Membership Rewards points out from my Gold Amex, so I'm ready to cancel that card.

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Let's not forget one of the favourites in Canada....the Amex Gold is household income.
We each got one of those, based on our U.S. cards and credit histories (a nice Amex feature). But the $150 annual fee just isn't worth it., so we'll cancel that once the annual fee comes due. And once we cancel that, all she'll have in Canada is a secured RBC Master Card (the only card we could get when we first moved here other than the Gold Amex).

It's really not critical, as we also both have several U.S. cards to fall back on (high credit limits, no forex fees), but it's nice to have chip&PIN cards.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by TheSinister
My non aeroplan RBC visa allows bill payments and does not classify them as cash advances..... can anyone who has a cibc/td/rbc aeroplan card confirm?
Sorry for the confusion. I'm talking about online bill payments from within your banking profile. I thought that's what you were asking about. You know, where you select your Visa or whatever card as the account from which to pay the bill.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:12 pm

edit: delete
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:14 pm
alc

Originally Posted by zer0k1
looks like chase added a $1k spend requirement to the 50k offer??
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/mar...6SR4&SPID=F8PC
maybe they did add this requirement recently, I don't know, as this is the Marriott VISA in the United States.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:42 am

RBC Avion targeted offer: 5k points to add a user to account

So I got a nice letter in the mail from RBC. if I add an authorized user (e.g. spouse) I get 5k Avion points. It doesn't say anything about an extra fee, which is nice.

For background, I called RBC earlier in the year and got FYF over the phone.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:44 am
alc

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
So I got a nice letter in the mail from RBC. if I add an authorized user (e.g. spouse) I get 5k Avion points. It doesn't say anything about an extra fee, which is nice.

For background, I called RBC earlier in the year and got FYF over the phone.
fee is not waived for the supp card. So, you are paying $50 for 5000 Avion points. But I do think 1st year fee will be prorated, so you do end up getting 5000 points for less than $50.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by alc
fee is not waived for the supp card. So, you are paying $50 for 5000 Avion points. But I do think 1st year fee will be prorated, so you do end up getting 5000 points for less than $50.
That's still not bad for a little top-up. Especially if it's pro-rated for less than $50.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Starwood Gold
Amex churn

Hi
I cancelled my SPG Amex about 3 weeks ago.
I'm eyeing up the Amex gold with FYF and bonus.

Anyone see any problems with this churn?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by susan6103
Hi
I cancelled my SPG Amex about 3 weeks ago.
I'm eyeing up the Amex gold with FYF and bonus.

Anyone see any problems with this churn?
No issue, go ahead and apply via GCR for $50 cashback + 25K welcome points after $500 spending; unless you know someone family/friend to refer you instead
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
shop.ca has a $500 in Esso Gift Cards for $450 ending today. Plus they have a 5X the Aeroplan miles for a first order, plus extra miles for distinction members. 450 x 5 + 450= 2700 miles and save $50 on gas. Not bad.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
shop.ca has a $500 in Esso Gift Cards for $450 ending today. Plus they have a 5X the Aeroplan miles for a first order, plus extra miles for distinction members. 450 x 5 + 450= 2700 miles and save $50 on gas. Not bad.
Good deal. However the 5x bonus doesn't apply to gift cards. So only max 900 miles.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.0; Nexus 5 Build/LRX21O) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/39.0.2171.59 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Don't forget $20 from Paypal's cash back promo, also starting today.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by FlamencoE
Good deal. However the 5x bonus doesn't apply to gift cards. So only max 900 miles.
Why am I not surprised....

Got the paypal one too but I couldn't find the signup link anywhere or do you have to spend first?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.