Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by prmetime
It looks like the TD aeroplan 25K bonus with FYF is back!
http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/product...urceCode=rePwQ
that was quick
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
is that the GCR offer?

the TD website is still showing 15K + $120 AF but I do see a 25K + FYF offer when i click thru the GCR one

here is the updated expiry

To receive the 10,000 Aeroplan Miles Bonus ("10,000 Miles Bonus"), you must apply for a TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card Account ("Account") by May 8, 2015, be approved, and have $1,000 in Purchases, including your first Purchase, posted to your Account within the first 90 days of Account opening. We reserve the right to limit the number of Accounts opened by and the number of 10,000 Miles Bonus awarded to any one person.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Well, I need your guys' advice now. The offer does say: "If you have opened an Account in the last 6 months, you will not be eligible for this offer. We reserve the right to limit the number of Accounts opened by, and the number of Welcome Bonus Miles awarded to, any one person."

My wife and son had their CIBC cards transferred automatically to this card last summer. Over 6 months ago. In your experience, do you believe they would get their bonus miles for a new app now? Thx for your help with this; I value your collective wisdom.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Preacher7
Well, I need your guys' advice now. The offer does say: "If you have opened an Account in the last 6 months, you will not be eligible for this offer. We reserve the right to limit the number of Accounts opened by, and the number of Welcome Bonus Miles awarded to, any one person."

My wife and son had their CIBC cards transferred automatically to this card last summer. Over 6 months ago. In your experience, do you believe they would get their bonus miles for a new app now? Thx for your help with this; I value your collective wisdom.
I don't know how much value my word is on this topic, but here's my experience.

Like your family, ONE of my TD Aero Infinite Visas was also created by a sale from CIBC to TD. I cancelled, or converted all of my 'playing cards' to no-fee TD cards and then applied for another TD AeroInfinite through GCR in Nov, and got all the bonuses. Then for 'fun', a couple of weeks later I applied for another through the RFD cashback offer, and when I spoke to TD reps (two occasions), they both said they saw the welcome offers on my application. I just exceeded the $1K spending on this latest card...the proof will be in the first-statement's pudding, which is due to cycle next week.

Other people's experience may be different. Look both ways before you cross the street.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:33 am

Looks like "America's Most Convenient Bank" is getting in on the action too. Good for us expats, I think I'll apply for both at the same time just to mess with Aeroplan.

http://www.tdbank.com/personalcreditcard/aeroplan.html
  • Earn 25,000 bonus miles when you spend $1,000 on net purchases in the first three billing cycles after account opening.
  • Earn 2X Aeroplan Miles per $1 spent on Air Canada net purchases.
  • Earn 1 Aeroplan Mile per $1 spent on all other net purchases.
  • Annual fee waived for first year, then $95 each year thereafter.

Cheers
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
Looks like "America's Most Convenient Bank" is getting in on the action too. Good for us expats, I think I'll apply for both at the same time just to mess with Aeroplan.

• Earn 25,000 bonus miles when you spend $1,000 on net purchases in the first three billing cycles after account opening.

Cheers
Anyone know if getting this card helps Canadians (living in Canada) get US credit cards down the road? I am assuming it is a US based credit card in US dollars? Will it help establish US credit history? I know they pull from Transunion but is it the US company linking to the Canadian Transunion for the initial check and then monitored by the US Transunion?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever

Cheers
This card came out last month, and was discussed here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...a-version.html

The RFD kids also bantered about it here. Maybe this thread too?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by tommy99
Anyone know if getting this card helps Canadians (living in Canada) get US credit cards down the road? I am assuming it is a US based credit card in US dollars? Will it help establish US credit history? I know they pull from Transunion but is it the US company linking to the Canadian Transunion for the initial check and then monitored by the US Transunion?
It is completely US based - the pull from the US Transunion. People claim they will do a "cross boarder credit check" but I know first hand that it is not likely. I know someone with a 850 CA credit score and they were denied for the standard TD card despite them claiming they would do a cross boarder check (he was a member of both TD US and TD CA and had a SSN). I met with a banker in the US asking if they would do a cross boarder reference and they told me that in all likelihood I would be denied for any card except a secured line ($500 minimum only returned upon closing the card).
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:27 pm

Click on the TDBank.com link and it's obvious they will do Cross Border applications.

Current or recent
Canadian resident?
If yes, then our cross-border application may be right for you.

Download Application

CREDIT CONSENT FOR CROSS BORDER APPLICATION
Applicant signing below (“I” , “me”, “my” or “you’) is applying to TD Bank, N.A. (“TD Bank” or “Bank”) for a Visa® Card (“Card”) as indicated above.

Applicants Using Canadian Credit Bureaus:
I authorize TD Bank to obtain information and reports about me from TransUnion Canada located at P.O. Box 338, LCD1, Hamilton, ON
L8L 7W2,
at the time of and any time during the application process, and on an ongoing basis, to review and verify my creditworthiness,
establish credit limits, help TD Bank collect a debt or enforce an obligation owed to TD Bank by me and/or manage and assess TD Bank’s
risks. Once I have a credit product with TD Bank, TD Bank may from time to time disclose information about me to credit reporting
agencies seeking such information, which helps establish my credit history and supports the credit granting and processing functions in
general. I may access and rectify any of my personal information contained in the files of TransUnion Canada by contacting them in writing
at the address noted above.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
Click on the TDBank.com link and it's obvious they will do Cross Border applications.

Current or recent
Canadian resident?
If yes, then our cross-border application may be right for you.

Download Application

CREDIT CONSENT FOR CROSS BORDER APPLICATION
Applicant signing below (“I” , “me”, “my” or “you’) is applying to TD Bank, N.A. (“TD Bank” or “Bank”) for a Visa® Card (“Card”) as indicated above.

Applicants Using Canadian Credit Bureaus:
I authorize TD Bank to obtain information and reports about me from TransUnion Canada located at P.O. Box 338, LCD1, Hamilton, ON
L8L 7W2,
at the time of and any time during the application process, and on an ongoing basis, to review and verify my creditworthiness,
establish credit limits, help TD Bank collect a debt or enforce an obligation owed to TD Bank by me and/or manage and assess TD Bank’s
risks. Once I have a credit product with TD Bank, TD Bank may from time to time disclose information about me to credit reporting
agencies seeking such information, which helps establish my credit history and supports the credit granting and processing functions in
general. I may access and rectify any of my personal information contained in the files of TransUnion Canada by contacting them in writing
at the address noted above.
Interesting. Although I've never heard of anyone actually being successful with this despite the obvious claim. I'd be curious to hear is anyone was
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
This card came out last month, and was discussed here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...a-version.html

The RFD kids also bantered about it here. Maybe this thread too?
Thanks JJJ, I can't say that I'm a big fan of RFD, but maybe it warrants more attention...

Cheers
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:05 pm

TD Visa offer is not FYF over the phone....anyone tried in branch?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
TD Visa offer is not FYF over the phone....anyone tried in branch?
It's not... only works through the online links.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Is anyone else getting this error when you try to apply for the Canadian TD Aeroplan Infinite Visa?

"Unfortunately, we have encountered system issues and cannot process your application at this time. Please try again in a few hours or visit any TD Canada Trust branch. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Find the nearest Canada Trust Branch Save My Application "
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by loun80
Is anyone else getting this error when you try to apply for the Canadian TD Aeroplan Infinite Visa?

"Unfortunately, we have encountered system issues and cannot process your application at this time. Please try again in a few hours or visit any TD Canada Trust branch. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Find the nearest Canada Trust Branch Save My Application "
I had this issue and switched to Internet Explorer and that got me a bit further but still had issues. I ultimately had to get on the phone with a TD rep and they added the RFD code (in this case it would be GCR) to my application and manually submitted it.

It worked fine. I got the annual fee rebated just now and the bonus points.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.