MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by timeo
I think the only direct flights to/from Ottawa on One World are to Charlotte and Philadelphia both on US Airways, no?
Correct. Unfortunately AA cancelled their YOW-ORD several months back.

Which was surprising to me since I've flown that route quite a bit and was usually full; mind you it was an E145.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by scoobybpc
Interested in the Capital one IHG cc. How long does it take for Platinum status to show up in my IHG account? I have a few IHG stays coming up over the next month or two and wondering if I'd be platinum in time
Don't expect much from IHG Plat, as you'll see here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...worthless.html

The only consistent benefit I get is a choice of 500 IHG points or a treat bag with a cookie, chips and water.
If I ask for a room with a King bed at check-in they sometimes give it to me if there's one available.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:35 am

Having used Amex business gold for 2 weeks, I received a call from an Amex business gold agent and inquired how I am performing in my "real estate" business and what the revenue is for last two years.

She was shocked when my business has very little (to none) revenue..anyway, my point is that business gold owner will expect to receive a call from Amex for an introductory call
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:50 pm

I have 130000 avios to burn. Besides NYC I am unable to find anything ex-YUL for 9000 avios on OW. MIA is 24000 avios, 48000 in J.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by LearningToFly
I have 130000 avios to burn. Besides NYC I am unable to find anything ex-YUL for 9000 avios on OW. MIA is 24000 avios, 48000 in J.
avios redemption are distance based. You might wanna take a look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...os-2014-a.html
Old Nov 6, 2014, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
avios redemption are distance based. You might wanna take a look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...os-2014-a.html
Thanks. I knew about the distance-based redemption. It is more complicated, but I think I'm catching most of it. There has been this thread too, explaining how to take advantage of that system
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ing-bands.html .
But I still can't find something interesting ex-YUL in order to benefit from the 9000 avios redemption (availability is another question).
Old Nov 6, 2014, 5:52 pm

PHL should be the only other non-stop
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by hktramz
Having used Amex business gold for 2 weeks, I received a call from an Amex business gold agent and inquired how I am performing in my "real estate" business and what the revenue is for last two years.

She was shocked when my business has very little (to none) revenue..anyway, my point is that business gold owner will expect to receive a call from Amex for an introductory call
I never got a call from AMEX on my Biz Gold (twice in 4 years)

Originally Posted by LearningToFly
Yes, Avios is limited use and best used on short-haul in reality, even for ex-YYZ. It's worse for ex-YOW/YUL as you'll need a connection anywhere
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Thanks for the info, I wasn't 100% sure about US Air. I might be able to use a flight to Charlotte sometime. I know I still need to RTFF and I haven't done my homework on it yet, but what about a one way redemption to BKK on Cathay Pacific? Would I transfer to avios for that or AA?

I'm expecting my 2nd round of 25k Alaskan points in that account sometime soon and I think I read 50k will work for a one way to BKK? Even if it's ex YYZ I could make that work and maybe use the aeroplan-esso-avion-AA/Avios process to get enough points there for the other one way? Does that sound like a feasible plan or not?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 9:31 am

Thanks to crimsona who is sparing me more searches.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by scoobybpc
Interested in the Capital one IHG cc. How long does it take for Platinum status to show up in my IHG account? I have a few IHG stays coming up over the next month or two and wondering if I'd be platinum in time
Any idea how soon the points post? I know the terms state within 2 billing cycles but I'd appreciate having some real life experience. Thanks

Last edited by prmetime; Nov 10, 2014 at 8:49 pm
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by tryinginvain
Thanks for the info, I wasn't 100% sure about US Air. I might be able to use a flight to Charlotte sometime. I know I still need to RTFF and I haven't done my homework on it yet, but what about a one way redemption to BKK on Cathay Pacific? Would I transfer to avios for that or AA?

I'm expecting my 2nd round of 25k Alaskan points in that account sometime soon and I think I read 50k will work for a one way to BKK? Even if it's ex YYZ I could make that work and maybe use the aeroplan-esso-avion-AA/Avios process to get enough points there for the other one way? Does that sound like a feasible plan or not?
I got 2 x 25K from 2 Alaska CC over 2~3 years
I used the 50K to call & book one-way ORD-HKG-TPE for 2015 no problem (50K + ~$60 fee).
Options were ORD-HKG-TPE 50K Alaska + $50 or 79000 Avios + $174 USD (worse option)

YYZ-HKG-TPE would've worked if there's YYZ-HKG availability @@
but I'm sure YYZ-HKG-BKK would work for you
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: BA,Aeroplan,Delta, SPG, Marriot, IHG
Originally Posted by prmetime
Any idea how soon the points post? I know the terms state within 2 billing cycles but I'd appreciate having some real life experience. Thanks
Yes it took two billing cycles but my first cycle was short. I applied early Sept and my first statement was dated Sept 26 and next Oct 26. Oct 26 statement indicated points transferred and it was in the IHG account Oct 27th or Oct 28th. Used the points same day to book hotel stay in Japan.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by jerryhung
I got 2 x 25K from 2 Alaska CC over 2~3 years
I used the 50K to call & book one-way ORD-HKG-TPE for 2015 no problem (50K + ~$60 fee).
Options were ORD-HKG-TPE 50K Alaska + $50 or 79000 Avios + $174 USD (worse option)

YYZ-HKG-TPE would've worked if there's YYZ-HKG availability @@
but I'm sure YYZ-HKG-BKK would work for you
Thanks! That helps a lot. That's about what I thought about the Alaska points, though I have no idea about availability but I don't think I'll use them till about a year from now.

I'm still not sure what I'll do with the avion points, haven't looked into it yet. I don't know if it's worth it to go through all that to use them for a one way to Asia. I might just keep them either in avion or avios to use within N.A.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by peacestar
Yes it took two billing cycles but my first cycle was short. I applied early Sept and my first statement was dated Sept 26 and next Oct 26. Oct 26 statement indicated points transferred and it was in the IHG account Oct 27th or Oct 28th. Used the points same day to book hotel stay in Japan.
Thanks. This is very helpful

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.