MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2015, 5:15 am

Programs: CX, AF, UA
Originally Posted by prmetime
IMHO if one has to do this, they shouldn't be applying for CC.
No need to have to, but useful to keep all true spent on a higher earning card while still getting sign up bonuses with spend requirements.
Old May 9, 2015, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by winebug
No need to have to, but useful to keep all true spent on a higher earning card while still getting sign up bonuses with spend requirements.
I get that. I just think that if you're taking advantage of these offers you should have the income to support a minimum spend legitimately. If one has scheme to these levels, I don't want them messing it up for the rest of us.
Old May 10, 2015, 6:18 am

I wish we had better hotel credit cards in Canada. The AMEX SPG is the best one we have and only 1 starpoint per $ on non-hotel purchases, plus annual fee.
Old May 10, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: CX, AF, UA
Originally Posted by DealAddict
I wish we had better hotel credit cards in Canada. The AMEX SPG is the best one we have and only 1 starpoint per $ on non-hotel purchases, plus annual fee.
Depending on your usage it's actually a better card then Amex Gold Rewards in certain instances, gives you 5K extra when converting 20K, that's 1.25 miles/points for all purchases that Gold only gives you 1/$.
Old May 10, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Aeroplan, Best Western, IHG Rewards, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Same here. I am hoping to see more hotel co-branded credit cards as well in Canada. The AMEX SPG is decent, except that we only earn 1 Starpoint for all purchases, there is no bonus category. Definitely hoping to see the first year annual fee waived at some point.

Depending on your usage it's actually a better card then Amex Gold Rewards in certain instances, gives you 5K extra when converting 20K, that's 1.25 miles/points for all purchases that Gold only gives you 1/$.
Definitely how you leverage your points does play a role. Though I would say, if you can, just get both.
Old May 10, 2015, 11:08 am

Well, I'm looking for a card for hotel stays, so I wouldn't be looking to convert to miles... For flights, I am already using/churning the Aeroplan /Amex Gold (regular and Business) cards.

Also, don't know why there are no good cards that give extra points for restaurant spending.I have the Scotia Amex Gold, which does give 4%, but of course, the restaurant I frequent doesn't accept AMEX.There is also the Costco Mastercard which gives 3%, but I would love to have a hotel/flight rewards card that gave extra points on dining, rather than a cashback card.
Old May 10, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Any one manage to get a retention for the Amex SPG?
Old May 10, 2015, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Any one manage to get a retention for the Amex SPG?
Yeah, I got 7000 points retention in November for the Canadian SPG Amex. Spend was between 20K and 30K.
Old May 11, 2015, 5:41 am

Also, don't know why there are no good cards that give extra points for restaurant spending.I have the Scotia Amex Gold, which does give 4%, but of course, the restaurant I frequent doesn't accept AMEX.There is also the Costco Mastercard which gives 3%, but I would love to have a hotel/flight rewards card that gave extra points on dining, rather than a cashback card.
I agree

Only card I know of is Chase Marriott VISA card
Double Marriott points on Restaurants
Old May 12, 2015, 11:21 am

RBC BA card now offers 30k Avios - 15k upon enrollment, another 15k after $5k spend within 2 months. $165 AF. Offer ends June 30.

Last time this came around the same time as the 50% Avion:Avios bonus. Hoping to see it June 1st.

RBC's website still shows the 15k offer, but you can get the 30k from BA's website:
http://www.britishairways.com/en-ca/...s/credit-cards

Might be a good time to product switch.
Old May 12, 2015, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I agree

Only card I know of is Chase Marriott VISA card
Double Marriott points on Restaurants
I use my Marriott Visa exclusively at restaurants and for my foreign currency purchases...that's what it's best for!
Old May 12, 2015, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by zer0k1
RBC BA card now offers 30k Avios - 15k upon enrollment, another 15k after $5k spend within 2 months. $165 AF. Offer ends June 30.

Last time this came around the same time as the 50% Avion:Avios bonus. Hoping to see it June 1st.

RBC's website still shows the 15k offer, but you can get the 30k from BA's website:

Might only be good for new apps...not a product switch...
Old May 12, 2015, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
Might only be good for new apps...not a product switch...
What makes you say that?
Old May 12, 2015, 5:10 pm

What makes you say that?
From experience...but every bank/card differs. Sometimes the application link is required to post an extra sign-up bonus OR there is a rule that extra bonuses only apply to new applications. A product switch may only post the 'regular' sign-up bonus. Best to check...
Old May 12, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum,Aeroplan,BA,Marriot Rewards, Alaska Airlines, Amex Platinum, SPG

I have switched RBC products numerous times now and always got whatever bonus was advertised. I've have maintained BA for about 5 years for the first/business class companion pass and also rotate between Avion(15000), WestJet($250 westjet dollars + companion pass, and Shoppers(free but comes with optimum points)). In my opinion the value of BA has really decreased and am going to focus on Avion due to transfer bonuses to American who has way lower taxes than BA, or to BA if you want. I would actually cancel my BA but I have trips booked and the terms state that you must have a card in good standing at time of travel. Depends what you are redeeming for I guess, but at $165.00/yr the taxes are brutal, availability is terrible unless you book a year out that it is less and less attractive. 30000 points is way easier to get with a free Amex gold card for 25000 and an Avion which will give at least 15000 for $120/yr plus a 50% transfer bonus regularly. Looks like you would get 47500 for $120 with more flexibility.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.