MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Cphil1
Mostly short haul from yul to fll(Mia) or for one long haul to Europe.

How can I get aa via rbc rewards? There's no aa card. Ba is there though, would I really want ba? I'm not so sure...

I heard about the atrocities ba puts u through to find and book tickets with partner airlines. Not sure I want to go that route.
You'd transfer rbc points to aa or ba which can be done on the phone. for short-haul your best bet is probably avios. you might want to wait for a transfer promo for ba, which usually happens nov 1 every year for avion.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:08 am

Programs: SPG, Aeroplan, WJ, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold, Fairmont PC, IHG, Marriott, Airmiles, Aventura,Avion
I hope this is the right place to ask this and I've tried reading all the pages but wanted clarity on the most recent promos.
I just got an Aeroplan Amex Platinum after much thought for the last few months. If I self refer, or refer to a friend, I can only refer them to another Aeroplan card. Is it worth it to self refer for the 40k possible points for the Amex Aerogold?

https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...anPlatinumCard

I was going to get the Amex Gold to have more flexibility with points and free year but it seems that the referral offer for that is gone? What is the best offer for that now? I see so many on different pages and websites that it's overwhelming.

Is it worth it to pay the $120 for the Aerogold AMEX for the 40K (provided I get the 15K for self referring. I know there's a lot of talk about self referring but I know 2 people who it's worked for so I thought I'd try it but if there's a better guaranteed offer, I'd rather do that).

I already have a CIBC Infinite Visa, Mastercard World Elite, RBC US Dollar Visa, RBC Visa and Amex Aeroplat. I think I have too many cards!! I want to get rid of one and think the RBC regular old Visa is the one but it was my first card and the one I built my credit with so I have a soft spot for it. I never use it though so guess it should go. I love the perks of my Visa but now with the Amex Aeroplat, I'm doubling up on some perks and think I should ditch it but I'm iffy. The Mastercard World Elite Aventura isn't offered anymore with CIBC and I got it when it first came out. I have Aventura points, which I hate, so I either have to use them or transfer them before cancelling.
I travel and shop online in US fund hence the RBC US Visa. I have a US savings too and this card gives the best benefits of any US funds Visa I could find in Canada.

I really need help to maintain my credit and a clear picture of what I'm doing.

Also, off topic but please, if you can help me. Now that IHG points can't be transferred into Airmiles, can I use a combo of IHG and Airmiles for a stay? Does IHG transfer to anything else?? I have a little over 8k IHG points left and don't really ever stay at their hotels anymore but should I do a couple of stays to bring up my points and then use them up? What can I do?

I wanted the Amex Gold because we're planning a trip to Europe next year and I wanted flexibility with the kind of points and ability to use with or transfer to whatever airline we go with and that has the best deal. I assume this works for hotels too.

Finally, as I'm BRAND NEW to Amex Platinum and see that there are many perks and benefits, is there a concise list or thread on here somewhere? Am I right that I cannot access United lounges even I'm flying a United flight? What if I'm in business class?
I see lots of benefit to the lounge access perks (if I can figure it out) but I already have a couple of maple leaf lounge passes that I haven't used yet cause for YYZ to YVR (my main flights) I fly business. My Visa will give me another pass in February. What do you guys do with extra passes? Gift them to friends? I see a lot for sale on craigslist but that's not my thing.

If I am flying with a friend YYZ to MCO, can she come into the Maple Leaf Lounge with me in YYZ? Is there a different lounge we should use? Is there a lounge in MCO?

In YVR, I've only used the MLL and is that the one I continue to use with my Amex?

What about airports that have a MLL and Priority Pass Lounge? If I'm alone I go to MLL and if I have guests Priority Pass cause they're free with me?

Lastly, and I apologize and will write this somewhere else or please, just point me in the right direction, I can't find info on how to actually use priority check in or priority boarding. Do I just show my card at the counter? I get the benefit with my Aeroplan Infinite Visa too but only AC flights and I think only those bought with Aeroplan miles. I can't recall.

Do we get to go through security faster too is that only when I'm in business class?

As for the Fairmont perks, they sound great and I stay at Fairmonts. However, I book with my Visa Infinite cause I get perks with that too but it doesn't fast track me to status like the Amex Plat. All my stays don't count this year because I paid with my Visa, right? I must book and pay with the Amex to get those perks at Fairmont? Well, there's always next year esp with Fairmont discount offers.

Thank you everyone for your patience and kindness and I really appreciate your help as a newbie.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:59 am

OK,

So for the Aeroplan Card it depends how quickly you want the points. Remember it is always best to around 3 months between each new application. Without knowing when you applied for all of these cards it is difficult to say if you should apply for another. Again I think others here will have different opinions. I would just ensure not to apply for anymore than 2 or so every 3 months. However in the worst case you will just be denied however I have found Amex to not be as strict as some other companies at accepting apps. I.e. Capital One are horrible and you should only apply with them if you 100% have to..

With the AMEX Gold you will be able to transfer to Hilton and SPG. I would not transfer to Hilton based on the devaluation earlier this year and SPG you will loose a lot in transfer. However I do transfer AMEX MR points from time to time to top up my SPG account. The best transfer partners would be Aeroplan / BA Avios ( for short-haul)

For the AMEX Plat see this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...x-plat-22.html Yes the other passes you can just give to friends. I do not find the Priority Pass very useful and remember you have access to all MLL passes with your plat aeroplan card. There are certain AMEX Platinum lounges doted around however they are on the same level as the MLL.

For the fast track with Fairmont you will need to pay with your AMEX card. If you can see yourself staying 4 nights then for sure it is worth it. Remember you can always book through Aeroplan.com to be able to get breakfast,upgrades etc. or book through a Virtuoso agent or AMEX FHR. Correct no stays will count.

Hope that helps, others will chip in if I have missed anything..still early on the east coast

Alex
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by westcoastgal
I hope this is the right place to ask this and I've tried reading all the pages but wanted clarity on the most recent promos.
I just got an Aeroplan Amex Platinum after much thought for the last few months. If I self refer, or refer to a friend, I can only refer them to another Aeroplan card. Is it worth it to self refer for the 40k possible points for the Amex Aerogold?

I was going to get the Amex Gold to have more flexibility with points and free year but it seems that the referral offer for that is gone? What is the best offer for that now? I see so many on different pages and websites that it's overwhelming.

Is it worth it to pay the $120 for the Aerogold AMEX for the 40K (provided I get the 15K for self referring. I know there's a lot of talk about self referring but I know 2 people who it's worked for so I thought I'd try it but if there's a better guaranteed offer, I'd rather do that).

I already have a CIBC Infinite Visa, Mastercard World Elite, RBC US Dollar Visa, RBC Visa and Amex Aeroplat. I think I have too many cards!! I want to get rid of one and think the RBC regular old Visa is the one but it was my first card and the one I built my credit with so I have a soft spot for it. I never use it though so guess it should go. I love the perks of my Visa but now with the Amex Aeroplat, I'm doubling up on some perks and think I should ditch it but I'm iffy. The Mastercard World Elite Aventura isn't offered anymore with CIBC and I got it when it first came out. I have Aventura points, which I hate, so I either have to use them or transfer them before cancelling.
I travel and shop online in US fund hence the RBC US Visa. I have a US savings too and this card gives the best benefits of any US funds Visa I could find in Canada.
<snipped>
Right now, it's probably not 'worth it' to self refer from your new AeroPlat to the Aeroplan Plus Gold, for 15K + 26K = 41K, since the AeroPlus Gold is now no longer $0 FYF, so you'll pay the $120/yr fee for those points. In my opinion, not worth it. As to your point about self-referrals...YES they work, just as you've seen through your 2 friends' experiences.

As for cross-referrals, it's not a case of "CANNOT" refer from an Aeroplan Plus card to other types of cards (particularly the Rewards cards), but rather you probably shouldn't bother. If you're interested in the Amex Gold Rewards card, just sign up via GCR to get $50 cash rebate and the same number of welcome points as you would via a (self)referral.

You've got a number of existing cards, but to be honest it's just average, and well below the number that the hard-churners carry. Whatever you do, DO NOT cancel your older cards, ESPECIALLY if they are fee-free. Keep them to help boost up your credit profile/score.

Your new card is the AeroPlat, right? Not the Platinum Rewards, as you refer to it as your "BRAND NEW" card. There are a couple of threads on here at FlyerTalk discussing the AeroPlat. Here's one.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...d-worth-7.html

You've asked a lot. I'll defer and pass it along to others to answer the rest.

Last edited by JJonahJ; Sep 17, 2014 at 4:44 pm
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
If I ever get out of this traffic I'll reply ... heh
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
If I ever get out of this traffic I'll reply ... heh
Absolutely DISAPPOINTED you haven't figured out a way to parlay your stash of points into free Chopper rides to avoid the gridlock. Totally, TOTALLY....disappointed.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Absolutely DISAPPOINTED you haven't figured out a way to parlay your stash of points into free Chopper rides to avoid the gridlock. Totally, TOTALLY....disappointed.
I know right. I am sad too. I've been trying to convert them to a chartered helicopter, but so far, I have failed. On a more serious note: did you know that in the late 1990s/early 2000s the Membership Rewards catalogue, for 15,000,000 MR points, had... a trip to space? I remember looking at it thinking "Man... I could never make that many points, but I wish I could". Of course, just like the Concorde, it got discontinued right around when I became sentient and awoke and realised it's not THAT impossible given enough dedication. Sigh.

Originally Posted by westcoastgal

I really need help to maintain my credit and a clear picture of what I'm doing.

Also, off topic but please, if you can help me. Now that IHG points can't be transferred into Airmiles, can I use a combo of IHG and Airmiles for a stay? Does IHG transfer to anything else?? I have a little over 8k IHG points left and don't really ever stay at their hotels anymore but should I do a couple of stays to bring up my points and then use them up? What can I do?

I wanted the Amex Gold because we're planning a trip to Europe next year and I wanted flexibility with the kind of points and ability to use with or transfer to whatever airline we go with and that has the best deal. I assume this works for hotels too.

Finally, as I'm BRAND NEW to Amex Platinum and see that there are many perks and benefits, is there a concise list or thread on here somewhere? Am I right that I cannot access United lounges even I'm flying a United flight? What if I'm in business class?
I see lots of benefit to the lounge access perks (if I can figure it out) but I already have a couple of maple leaf lounge passes that I haven't used yet cause for YYZ to YVR (my main flights) I fly business. My Visa will give me another pass in February. What do you guys do with extra passes? Gift them to friends? I see a lot for sale on craigslist but that's not my thing.

If I am flying with a friend YYZ to MCO, can she come into the Maple Leaf Lounge with me in YYZ? Is there a different lounge we should use? Is there a lounge in MCO?

In YVR, I've only used the MLL and is that the one I continue to use with my Amex?

What about airports that have a MLL and Priority Pass Lounge? If I'm alone I go to MLL and if I have guests Priority Pass cause they're free with me?

Lastly, and I apologize and will write this somewhere else or please, just point me in the right direction, I can't find info on how to actually use priority check in or priority boarding. Do I just show my card at the counter? I get the benefit with my Aeroplan Infinite Visa too but only AC flights and I think only those bought with Aeroplan miles. I can't recall.

Do we get to go through security faster too is that only when I'm in business class?

As for the Fairmont perks, they sound great and I stay at Fairmonts. However, I book with my Visa Infinite cause I get perks with that too but it doesn't fast track me to status like the Amex Plat. All my stays don't count this year because I paid with my Visa, right? I must book and pay with the Amex to get those perks at Fairmont? Well, there's always next year esp with Fairmont discount offers.

Thank you everyone for your patience and kindness and I really appreciate your help as a newbie.
Ok here we go, let's see if I can hit all the points.

- the Amex Gold offer is still there, but you cannot cross-refer from one to another. If you have the Aeroplan line, stick to it; if you want the Gold card, ask someone for a referral. The Aeroplan Gold isn't necessarily a terrible deal. Yes, $120 annual fee, but you get 40K miles after self-referral. That's a third of a cent per mile; hardly anything to snort at. I still consider it a great deal. Self-referral works just fine btw, so don't listen to naysayers.
- Do not cancel the oldest card. It supposedly keeps the average age of your account older, which helps with your credit rating. Especially if it's free. Cancel any cards that you don't REALLY need that are recent, but keep the oldest ones. There is the argument that if you have access to a lot of credit BUT are not using it, your credit utilisation is low, which boosts your credit rating. I'd still cancel some unnecessary cards, but don't go on an ax murder spree.
- You cannot use Airmils and IHG to pay for nights. However!!!! Please check their current 'into the nights' promotion. You may be easily able to pick up a few points (and if you are one of the lucky ones who just needs 2 Holiday Inn + 2 Saturday stays, you can get 2 free InterContinental nights for an outlay of less than $200 in total - so check into it). Also: IHG often has "Points Breaks" nights, which allow you to book rooms for 5,000 points. This tends to be in random locations, so of marginal use, but still - you can get rooms for 5K points, and sometimes even the less popular InterContinental hotels fall into the list.
- It looks like you *cannot* access Plaza Premium lounges with the Aeroplan Platinum Priority Pass membership (but you *can* with the regular Platinum card). It's very confusing. I would try it if I were you. Unfortunately, the Plaza Premium lounges tend to be marginally better (in YUL), somewhat better (in YYZ), and *significantly* better (in YVR), so it's a pretty decent benefit that you should certainly check if you have. You can access MLL lounges, though (but no guests). United lounges also work in the USA because your card would be issued by a non-US financial institution and is therefore eligible. UA Clubs are pathetic, of course. Overall, though, the regular Platinum card is far better for lounge access.
- Give your lounge passes to friends. I also have like 5 that I don't know what to do with. (and wow, you get business class YVR-YYZ!? I want to work for your company - I've never seen any firm, including the government and the construction sector, that allows such short flights to be booked in business!)
- Once again; guests not free with Priority Pass, so be careful.
- For priority checkin and/or boarding, just flash your card (in the one case out of 100 where someone actually asks). Typically, checkin agents will request it, security line people don't give half a crap, and priority boarding also nobody cares (mostly because by the time she's done reading out the list of everyone who IS entitled to priority boarding, like SE, E75/50/35K, Visa cardholders, Amex cardholders, people with dogs, babies, wheelchairs, old people, people in hats, men with parrots, women with brown bags, also individuals of questionable social preferences, and so on) there is no one left to "priority" board. So just hop in the elite line and go for it. If they ask, you show your card.
- Security is faster in Canadian airports only. Internationally, depends on place; you can always try hopping into the priority lines and see if the blue-gloved TSA agents care (mostly they don't, unless you look suspicious, in which case they'll be happy to explore you :P)

A few points that were posted before my post that are incorrect:

- I don't think it matters which card you pay with at Fairmont. Also, your status WILL carry. We had this discussion either in this thread or elsewhere, and although I suppose in THEORY you must pay with Amex and so on, in reality, it makes no difference. I think I paid with Visa before on my 'plat5' promo code, and it didn't matter, I still got Platinum. Hell, even complimentary nights counted. So although I would make the effort to pay with Amex, I wouldn't go out of my way to do so. You need to get the 'PLAT5' code added to your account if you do not already have it, however. So just call in and get the 'PLAT5' code added, then call Fairmont President's Club and get them to make you Platinum if your stays this year permit it.
- Nothing prevents you from booking using your Visa promo codes but paying with your Amex, btw.
- You do NOT need to book through Aeroplan.com for Fairmont Diamond benefits. Just put the PDDD code into the 'rate code' box when you book directly on fairmont.com. You get breakfast and other stuff (but if it's a FHR/Virtuoso property, book those rates instead as the benefits are better).
- Sorry @alexisonsmith but is completely wrong to say that Amex Platinum lounges are "on the same level" as MLL. While unfortunately one doesn't receive access to those using the Aeroplan Platinum card, the Amex Centurion lounges that are in LAS/DFW/LGA/and a few other places are COMPLETELY out of this world. I actually routed a YUL-SEA flight through DFW to check out the Centurion lounge, and it was one of the most worthwhile detours I've ever made. The free massage/manicure alone is worth the visit, not to mention actually GREAT food and drinks (though Johnnie Walker Blue is for Centurion cardholders only ).

Phew.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
I know right. I am sad too. I've been trying to convert them to a chartered helicopter, but so far, I have failed. On a more serious note: did you know that in the late 1990s/early 2000s the Membership Rewards catalogue, for 15,000,000 MR points, had... a trip to space? I remember looking at it thinking "Man... I could never make that many points, but I wish I could". Of course, just like the Concorde, it got discontinued right around when I became sentient and awoke and realised it's not THAT impossible given enough dedication. Sigh.

Ok here we go, let's see if I can hit all the points.

- the Amex Gold offer is still there, but you cannot cross-refer from one to another. If you have the Aeroplan line, stick to it; if you want the Gold card, ask someone for a referral. The Aeroplan Gold isn't necessarily a terrible deal. Yes, $120 annual fee, but you get 40K miles after self-referral. That's a third of a cent per mile; hardly anything to snort at. I still consider it a great deal. Self-referral works just fine btw, so don't listen to naysayers.
- Do not cancel the oldest card. It supposedly keeps the average age of your account older, which helps with your credit rating. Especially if it's free. Cancel any cards that you don't REALLY need that are recent, but keep the oldest ones. There is the argument that if you have access to a lot of credit BUT are not using it, your credit utilisation is low, which boosts your credit rating. I'd still cancel some unnecessary cards, but don't go on an ax murder spree.
- You cannot use Airmils and IHG to pay for nights. However!!!! Please check their current 'into the nights' promotion. You may be easily able to pick up a few points (and if you are one of the lucky ones who just needs 2 Holiday Inn + 2 Saturday stays, you can get 2 free InterContinental nights for an outlay of less than $200 in total - so check into it). Also: IHG often has "Points Breaks" nights, which allow you to book rooms for 5,000 points. This tends to be in random locations, so of marginal use, but still - you can get rooms for 5K points, and sometimes even the less popular InterContinental hotels fall into the list.
- It looks like you *cannot* access Plaza Premium lounges with the Aeroplan Platinum Priority Pass membership (but you *can* with the regular Platinum card). It's very confusing. I would try it if I were you. Unfortunately, the Plaza Premium lounges tend to be marginally better (in YUL), somewhat better (in YYZ), and *significantly* better (in YVR), so it's a pretty decent benefit that you should certainly check if you have. You can access MLL lounges, though (but no guests). United lounges also work in the USA because your card would be issued by a non-US financial institution and is therefore eligible. UA Clubs are pathetic, of course. Overall, though, the regular Platinum card is far better for lounge access.
- Give your lounge passes to friends. I also have like 5 that I don't know what to do with. (and wow, you get business class YVR-YYZ!? I want to work for your company - I've never seen any firm, including the government and the construction sector, that allows such short flights to be booked in business!)
- Once again; guests not free with Priority Pass, so be careful.
- For priority checkin and/or boarding, just flash your card (in the one case out of 100 where someone actually asks). Typically, checkin agents will request it, security line people don't give half a crap, and priority boarding also nobody cares (mostly because by the time she's done reading out the list of everyone who IS entitled to priority boarding, like SE, E75/50/35K, Visa cardholders, Amex cardholders, people with dogs, babies, wheelchairs, old people, people in hats, men with parrots, women with brown bags, also individuals of questionable social preferences, and so on) there is no one left to "priority" board. So just hop in the elite line and go for it. If they ask, you show your card.
- Security is faster in Canadian airports only. Internationally, depends on place; you can always try hopping into the priority lines and see if the blue-gloved TSA agents care (mostly they don't, unless you look suspicious, in which case they'll be happy to explore you :P)

A few points that were posted before my post that are incorrect:

- I don't think it matters which card you pay with at Fairmont. Also, your status WILL carry. We had this discussion either in this thread or elsewhere, and although I suppose in THEORY you must pay with Amex and so on, in reality, it makes no difference. I think I paid with Visa before on my 'plat5' promo code, and it didn't matter, I still got Platinum. Hell, even complimentary nights counted. So although I would make the effort to pay with Amex, I wouldn't go out of my way to do so. You need to get the 'PLAT5' code added to your account if you do not already have it, however. So just call in and get the 'PLAT5' code added, then call Fairmont President's Club and get them to make you Platinum if your stays this year permit it.
- Nothing prevents you from booking using your Visa promo codes but paying with your Amex, btw.
- You do NOT need to book through Aeroplan.com for Fairmont Diamond benefits. Just put the PDDD code into the 'rate code' box when you book directly on fairmont.com. You get breakfast and other stuff (but if it's a FHR/Virtuoso property, book those rates instead as the benefits are better).
- Sorry @alexisonsmith but is completely wrong to say that Amex Platinum lounges are "on the same level" as MLL. While unfortunately one doesn't receive access to those using the Aeroplan Platinum card, the Amex Centurion lounges that are in LAS/DFW/LGA/and a few other places are COMPLETELY out of this world. I actually routed a YUL-SEA flight through DFW to check out the Centurion lounge, and it was one of the most worthwhile detours I've ever made. The free massage/manicure alone is worth the visit, not to mention actually GREAT food and drinks (though Johnnie Walker Blue is for Centurion cardholders only ).

Phew.
I am comparing just the MLL vs AMEX lounges within Canada. I have only visited the one in YYZ for the AMEX Lounge. I would still rate others throughout the US which I have visited above Priority Pass lounges and of course MLL in the states. Agreed about LAS.

For Fairmont I was informed that for the 5 nights for AMEX Plat you have to use your Plat card. Maybe you can get around this however it is not something I would risk unnecessarily. Again it is like self-refering you can do it but be-aware of the risks. Also most Fairmont's are also AMEX FHR/Virtuoso properties.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
I am comparing just the MLL vs AMEX lounges within Canada. I have only visited the one in YYZ for the AMEX Lounge. I would still rate others throughout the US which I have visited above Priority Pass lounges and of course MLL in the states. Agreed about LAS.

For Fairmont I was informed that for the 5 nights for AMEX Plat you have to use your Plat card. Maybe you can get around this however it is not something I would risk unnecessarily. Again it is like self-refering you can do it but be-aware of the risks. Also most Fairmont's are also AMEX FHR/Virtuoso properties.
Ahh ok, well, the lounges in Canada aren't really Amex lounges - they are Plaza Premium, and they are indeed somewhat similar to MLL (but as I say above, still between 'somewhat better' and 'a lot better' in the case of YVR international).

Re: Fairmont, I know that's the official position, but in reality, I don't think there's any method to track it. Their system is set up to track qualifying nights, and once you hit 5 and you have a PLAT5 code on your account, bam, you're done. They don't have a guy manually checking whether you actually paid for 5 nights with an Amex or not.

Also, sadly, a lot of Fairmonts are not FHR properties. Chateau Laurier used to be my favourite with the afternoon tea, but it's dropped off this year. Royal York isn't, either. A lot of BC hotels are, though, so that's good. It's really hit and miss, and I really wish they'd make up their mind and just negotiate the whole chain
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:22 am

I agree that they should try to grab the whole network…

I know Virtuoso have the following : Jasper, Chateau Frontenac, Pacific Rim, Banff, Lake Louise, Whistler, Victoria, Waterfront.

I know internationally Virtuoso have around 34 properties however it does change.

I agree about the the AMEX PLAT5. I will try it next time since usually I prefer to use AMEX Gold for double hotel points.

As a side comment I went to Chateau Laurier this year was a little disappointed with the Afternoon tea compared to other properties (Frontenac, Pacific Rim, Lake Louise), however the views from the rooms are pretty special especially the Parliament views.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
And Triple J strikes again! To quote Wanda from Corner Gas: "Scorch, Pow!"
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
And btw, y'all really gotta try out the real Amex lounges south of the 49th! Best non-biz/F lounges in NA, for sure! I'm sitting in the LGA Centurion right now, watching the 5-star (really!) chef surveying his creations brought to the buffet for us to consume! And DFW is even better: you also get a free massage!

Gotta jet, literally: my 24 hour MR, LGA-SEA via IAH starts soon. $700 ( paid for through TYP) in A class credited to Aegean gets me *G in a day!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7
And btw, y'all really gotta try out the real Amex lounges south of the 49th! Best non-biz/F lounges in NA, for sure! I'm sitting in the LGA Centurion right now, watching the 5-star (really!) chef surveying his creations brought to the buffet for us to consume! And DFW is even better: you also get a free massage!

Gotta jet, literally: my 24 hour MR, LGA-SEA via IAH starts soon. $700 ( paid for through TYP) in A class credited to Aegean gets me *G in a day!
Nice one!

Which reminds me, I should credit a flight to them soon'ish.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: SPG, Aeroplan, WJ, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold, Fairmont PC, IHG, Marriott, Airmiles, Aventura,Avion
Amazing Info! Thanks and...

You guys are great! I was honestly expecting snark or someone to go tell me to look it up.. Trust me, I have been trying to figure things out but there are always loopholes and things that cardholders only know once tried.

I called Amex to get some more info and found out the following:

Aeroplan Platinum Amex holders do get to go through priority security lines at Pearson as well as priority check in and boarding. The boarding, well, I travel a lot with my child so she gets me priority boarding but I don't care and am not in a rush and am often the last on the plane anyways - even been paged once which was embarrassing.

I only get Fairmont Hotel bonuses and status and I add the code to my president's club account just like the person above said and was given the number. Amex can do it too for customers.

She said that Amex uses transunion to check credit and not equifax as far as she knows. Not sure if that matters to anyone but thought I'd let you know since I normally check my credit with equifax and have only called transunion twice. I believe her as one of the security questions online at the end of my application were an address I had in 2008 and it's on my transunion file and equifax said they didn't have that address on file when I asked. I thought they'd have all my addresses so not sure why they don't?

She knew nothing about the 50 gift card bonus when signing up for a gold card and said it may be a targeted offer. I need more info on this as I can't find any info.

I don't want to beat this thing to death so am going to go looking for info on the Scotiabank Gold Amex. My gf got it and said it has good sign up bonus, fyf and is a great card for $99 after the first year. However, I'd never heard anything about it.

You guys are very knowledgeable and have made me feel so much better. Can I ask what cards you carry and what cards you recommend?

If I wanted one MC and (already have the no longer offered CIBC Aventura World Elite MC) want to switch to another card that's cheaper, a good card but don't need all the travel benefits and insurances since I get them on my Visa Infinite and Amex, what should I get?

Is there a card everyone should have but doesn't?

By the way, my job doesn't pay me to fly business class YYZ to YVR. I am now self employed and grew up in Vancouver, born and raised. I moved to TO a few years ago when I was in management with Rogers (thankful not to be with them anymore) and my whole family and many friends are still in TO. I fly back and forth to see my family and now my mom mostly. My dad passed unexpectedly at the age of 63. He was the only person I knew with an Amex for years. My mom wants me and my daughter to visit and since I have produced the only grandchild thus far, we fly in business class back and forth since my daughter turned 3 and was allowed to. She's a great flyer and traveller anyways as she's been traveling since she was a few months old. I have reasons for flying business on this flight and know most wouldn't but I have a system and it works. It also has to be the better lie flat seats, not Rouge. ... is that BS? Whoever invented Rouge business should be shot, IMO.

Don't people fly business YYZ to LHR? It's the same to me as to YVR.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I know have to investigate MC's and this Scotiabank Amex.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:36 pm

By the way, the lounge thing. According to Amex the Platinum Aeroplan cards gets me access to all MLL (of course), the Priority Pass Lounges (which she says are Plaza Premium lounges???) But I have to pay $27. I found a thread here that says that the person didn't pay and brought a guest but maybe I'm confused?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ge-access.html

She said I also get access to the Amex lounge in Pearson.

I find this so confusing as there seems to be so many lounges. Her suggestion was to always go to MLL if I can as I am sure to be let in, it's free, decent and my daughter and spouse or guest, gets in free. She said the Priority Pass lounges make up rules according to who's working and she's heard and experienced varied acceptance in 8 years of a card holder and employee at Amex. She's in Markham, btw.

I am still not entirely sure about this but the only thing I do know, is that I get MLL access.

I think whats got me (and others) confused is the differences in Lounge benefits between the regular AMEX Platinum & the Aeroplat. The Aeroplat doesnt get you into the US airline lounges & only into the US/Intl Servisair lounges if you bother to get the free membership & then pay the $27entry. However, in Canada, I get into the Plaza lounges for free.

This difference is poorly communicated (like not at all) in the AMEX literature or on the website

Am I correct on this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.