FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MilesBuzz: Canada
View Single Post
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:49 am
JJonahJ

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by westcoastgal
I hope this is the right place to ask this and I've tried reading all the pages but wanted clarity on the most recent promos.
I just got an Aeroplan Amex Platinum after much thought for the last few months. If I self refer, or refer to a friend, I can only refer them to another Aeroplan card. Is it worth it to self refer for the 40k possible points for the Amex Aerogold?

https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...anPlatinumCard

I was going to get the Amex Gold to have more flexibility with points and free year but it seems that the referral offer for that is gone? What is the best offer for that now? I see so many on different pages and websites that it's overwhelming.

Is it worth it to pay the $120 for the Aerogold AMEX for the 40K (provided I get the 15K for self referring. I know there's a lot of talk about self referring but I know 2 people who it's worked for so I thought I'd try it but if there's a better guaranteed offer, I'd rather do that).

I already have a CIBC Infinite Visa, Mastercard World Elite, RBC US Dollar Visa, RBC Visa and Amex Aeroplat. I think I have too many cards!! I want to get rid of one and think the RBC regular old Visa is the one but it was my first card and the one I built my credit with so I have a soft spot for it. I never use it though so guess it should go. I love the perks of my Visa but now with the Amex Aeroplat, I'm doubling up on some perks and think I should ditch it but I'm iffy. The Mastercard World Elite Aventura isn't offered anymore with CIBC and I got it when it first came out. I have Aventura points, which I hate, so I either have to use them or transfer them before cancelling.
I travel and shop online in US fund hence the RBC US Visa. I have a US savings too and this card gives the best benefits of any US funds Visa I could find in Canada.
<snipped>
Right now, it's probably not 'worth it' to self refer from your new AeroPlat to the Aeroplan Plus Gold, for 15K + 26K = 41K, since the AeroPlus Gold is now no longer $0 FYF, so you'll pay the $120/yr fee for those points. In my opinion, not worth it. As to your point about self-referrals...YES they work, just as you've seen through your 2 friends' experiences.

As for cross-referrals, it's not a case of "CANNOT" refer from an Aeroplan Plus card to other types of cards (particularly the Rewards cards), but rather you probably shouldn't bother. If you're interested in the Amex Gold Rewards card, just sign up via GCR to get $50 cash rebate and the same number of welcome points as you would via a (self)referral.

You've got a number of existing cards, but to be honest it's just average, and well below the number that the hard-churners carry. Whatever you do, DO NOT cancel your older cards, ESPECIALLY if they are fee-free. Keep them to help boost up your credit profile/score.

Your new card is the AeroPlat, right? Not the Platinum Rewards, as you refer to it as your "BRAND NEW" card. There are a couple of threads on here at FlyerTalk discussing the AeroPlat. Here's one.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...d-worth-7.html

You've asked a lot. I'll defer and pass it along to others to answer the rest.

Last edited by JJonahJ; Sep 17, 2014 at 4:44 pm