MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
not much pickins for YYZ either. so far we've used our certificates for stays in Buffalo for shopping trips. this year we're gonna keep one card for a cat 5 for a night at Courtyard Seoul (i think its still cat 5) that goes for $180 US or so.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by gspurr
As per some earlier emails, I only got 30K instead of 40K on my AMEX Gold Business. What amex email did people respond to on this? Thanks
I messaged them on March 29th and said 10000 miles were missing. the miles were deposited the other day.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
LOL - the BLI SpringHill is my go-to freebie each year, too! I think it's the only one left! And that one just got upped, too!

I didn't get a letter from Cap One, but happy to hear that benefits are being kept! YAY! Thanks for the info!
There is a TownPlace Suites that opened up attached to the Springhill Bellingham, the new hotel is Cat 4 so good for the signup cert.

Yes the SHS is cat 5 now, so still good for the renewals...

Someone above mentioned the Courtyard Seoul, sad to see the Renaissance Seoul going up to cat 6...
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by crimsona
After this year's devaluation, it's getting much harder to justify. I used my signup first Cat 4 in Bellevue Valentine's Day (now cat 5), my second year's at downtown Seattle Springhill for New Year's Eve (now cat 6), and was stuck with nowhere to use the third year's cert except we decided to stay at the Springhill Bellingham the night before catching an early Vegas flight during the Family Day long weekend.

My letter from Capital One stated all benefits are being kept (and even specified the annual bonus), so I fully expect to receive it.
Agreed. I booked Hong Kong Marriott Courtyard for 15,000 a night. It's now 20,000. I'm simply going to drop the program.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gspurr
As per some earlier emails, I only got 30K instead of 40K on my AMEX Gold Business. What amex email did people respond to on this? Thanks
I sent them this email and received the additional 10,000.

"I applied for this card during the promotion of 40,000 Membership Reward points if I charge $5000 within the first 3 months of card membership. I charged $5000 within the first 3 months of card membership and only received a bonus of 30,000 Membership Reward points. Please give me the 40,000 Membership Reward points that I am eligible for."
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
I'm cancelling my AMEX Platinum and now utilizing the Scotiabank Momentum Infinite VISA. The $699 annual is just hard to stomach now.

I'm going to see what offer AMEX will give me once I pay it off and cancel; see what my loyalty is valued at.

Anyone know of cards that offer lounge access as part of their 'perks' but doesn't cost their firstborn child?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by flipstah
I'm cancelling my AMEX Platinum and now utilizing the Scotiabank Momentum Infinite VISA. The $699 annual is just hard to stomach now.

I'm going to see what offer AMEX will give me once I pay it off and cancel; see what my loyalty is valued at.

Anyone know of cards that offer lounge access as part of their 'perks' but doesn't cost their firstborn child?
The Amex Business Platinum perhaps?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by loun80
I sent them this email and received the additional 10,000.

"I applied for this card during the promotion of 40,000 Membership Reward points if I charge $5000 within the first 3 months of card membership. I charged $5000 within the first 3 months of card membership and only received a bonus of 30,000 Membership Reward points. Please give me the 40,000 Membership Reward points that I am eligible for."
I hate the inconsistency from AMEX
I crossed $5K and they told me I have to wait 8-10 weeks and "manual intervention" was not possible (yeah right, my AMEX Plat's 60K MR was credited manually)

A few others have the same issues...so it's not just me
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by zer0k1
The Amex Business Platinum perhaps?
Never owned a 'business' credit card before. Don't I have to prove that I have a business to get one?

Also, can AMEX switch a charge card product to a credit card product? The SPG AMEX looks good and I like the SPG line of hotels.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:16 am

can AMEX switch a charge card product to a credit card product? The SPG AMEX looks good and I like the SPG line of hotels.
Nope, not possible.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:21 am

Nope, not possible.
What a shame. Looks like I'm dropping out of the AMEX family. It's been a slice
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:47 am

What a shame. Looks like I'm dropping out of the AMEX family. It's been a slice
You could just apply for the SPG? I take it isn't worth the pull?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott

BMO World Elite MC comes with the Priority Pass that has four lounge passes I believe. $150 annual fee. 2% back in travel.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 12:04 pm

You could just apply for the SPG? I take it isn't worth the pull?
I guess. I just don't like taking unnecessary dents in my credit. The VISA was given to me. ^

Originally Posted by drwilliams
BMO World Elite MC comes with the Priority Pass that has four lounge passes I believe. $150 annual fee. 2% back in travel.
Only four? Lame. I travel at 3 round-trips with stopovers and that's when I cash in on the lounges; free food, showers, awesome WiFi with comfy seats...

Might just get Priority Pass membership.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 12:22 pm

I guess. I just don't like taking unnecessary dents in my credit. The VISA was given to me. ^

Only four? Lame. I travel at 3 round-trips with stopovers and that's when I cash in on the lounges; free food, showers, awesome WiFi with comfy seats...

Might just get Priority Pass membership.
$249 USD (311 CAD) membership only gets you 10 visits
$399 USD (500 CAD) gets you unlimited visits.

But at $500 CAD, you are better off with the $699 Canadian Plat with $200 annual travel credit since that one covers guests too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.