MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Now that I don't use the card.....

It's easier if you have over $650 but I've done it for the $350&$150 level too.

Simply create an account at hotels.ca and make a booking for as close to $350 as you can. With taxes added AFTER this can take a while, you have to play with # of days,locations and a new wrinkle "pay now" (not at the hotel!!). And obviously 100% refundable. Book a pay now stay and then go cancel the booking. I usually waited 30 seconds . A few days later the travel charge and credit will show up as separate items. Just go into the reward engine and choose the hotel.ca charge and process the credit.

The last one I used was for $148.50.
Excellent! And thanks.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Now that I don't use the card.....

It's easier if you have over $650 but I've done it for the $350&$150 level too.

Simply create an account at hotels.ca and make a booking for as close to $350 as you can. With taxes added AFTER this can take a while, you have to play with # of days,locations and a new wrinkle "pay now" (not at the hotel!!). And obviously 100% refundable. Book a pay now stay and then go cancel the booking. I usually waited 30 seconds . A few days later the travel charge and credit will show up as separate items. Just go into the reward engine and choose the hotel.ca charge and process the credit.

The last one I used was for $148.50.
Isn't this a little risky - in a couple of ways? 1) We can trust that hotels.ca will refund money? And quickly? Hmmm... 2) Surely a manual audit with Cap One would deem this as ineligible, since it's obvious that the charge was reversed. And it's always possible their travel credit software may be upgraded to account for reversals for the same vendor/amount?

It's unclear to me why anyone would even want a 'hack' for this card if they own this card? Everyone here travels and if they own the card they can eventually use it as it's intended...
Old Sep 14, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Done it 3 times or is it 4? It's not legit but it served my purposes.

I travel too but foreign purchases go on the Amazon.ca card. Otherwise it can be hard to get close to $150 or $350.

I found out by accident after plans changed yet the charge continued to show for the 90 days eligibility.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:12 pm

I know that Cap1 cust service agents are able to cheat the redemption system and can redeem towards non travel expenses. Friends have been successful doing it...
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
I know that Cap1 cust service agents are able to cheat the redemption system and can redeem towards non travel expenses. Friends have been successful doing it...
Yep, if one calls in and asks nicely

They can also "credit back" the differences too
If you redeem against a $140 expense with 15K points, they can credit you the $10 difference (from $150 Tier)
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
I want to get rid of my ihg, td aero and spg amex in November after getting them in april. I don't use them much and wanted them for the points. I also want to churn then next year. Has anyone had luck with this. I know my points won't go away of I cancel them, right? Maybe will go for amex aero again too.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by corruptcanadian
I want to get rid of my ihg, td aero and spg amex in November after getting them in april. I don't use them much and wanted them for the points. I also want to churn then next year. Has anyone had luck with this. I know my points won't go away of I cancel them, right? Maybe will go for amex aero again too.
The ihg card has been cancelled by capone so no more churning on that one.

But in all cases, no your points won't go away.

Amex are now one bonus only, except for business cards,
Old Sep 15, 2015, 7:30 pm

Is it normal that my new Alaska cards don't show the 25k pending? Doesn't it usually show up right away?
Old Sep 15, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
amex churn possible?

i called amex last week just to see how far i can push my luck.

even the CR didnt even know about this new rule that you cant get the bonus twice for the same card...
so i went ahead with the app only to be called a few days later to advise me that Quebec residents cannot do apps over the phone.
ive breifly looked at the app online and i dont see anytjing about that rule. so far that is.
so my question is can i use the CR statement that there is no such rule to her knowledge as a reason to push forward with the app?
also, can i risk it and get my wife to apply and transfer to my AP or BA number?

Thanks.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
ive been researching FT today for ways to earn considerable amount of points in 4 months.
trying to reach 120K that I could transfer to AP or preferably BA. i need to take the whole fam for new years to miami. its mandatory since there's a wedding in the family!

i would hate to pay full fare since u can all agree its very expensive! like 6-700$ each expensive! i would rather go to Italy at that price (low season)...

Plus to be honest, with all the hard savings we're doing lately (finaly trying to get that dream home we wanted), not much spending limits for these kind of tiks.

Oh, the hardships of the middle class family!

any pointers, advice and freebie ways to accumulate miles?

thanks
Old Sep 15, 2015, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Cphil1
i called amex last week just to see how far i can push my luck.

even the CR didnt even know about this new rule that you cant get the bonus twice for the same card...
so i went ahead with the app only to be called a few days later to advise me that Quebec residents cannot do apps over the phone.
ive breifly looked at the app online and i dont see anytjing about that rule. so far that is.
so my question is can i use the CR statement that there is no such rule to her knowledge as a reason to push forward with the app?
also, can i risk it and get my wife to apply and transfer to my AP or BA number?

Thanks.
Your wife can transfer her points to your AP/BA accounts.

Unfortunately what the CS rep says doesn't matter. It may work, it may not, it's too soon to know for sure. Although business cards are still OK so I suggest you look into that. I don't understand why they don't have an AP Biz card though
Old Sep 15, 2015, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
ive been researching FT today for ways to earn considerable amount of points in 4 months.
trying to reach 120K that I could transfer to AP or preferably BA. i need to take the whole fam for new years to miami. its mandatory since there's a wedding in the family!

i would hate to pay full fare since u can all agree its very expensive! like 6-700$ each expensive! i would rather go to Italy at that price (low season)...

Plus to be honest, with all the hard savings we're doing lately (finaly trying to get that dream home we wanted), not much spending limits for these kind of tiks.

thanks
A) where are you flying out of? even YVR-MIA isn't 700.- ...

B) Compare mileage costs for flights from your destination to Miami and see what program is cheapest and where you can most easily accumulate miles... but I don't think this thread is the right one for that. Try in the information corner under the "what FFP should I join" thread?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 5:30 am

thanks
not knowing your home airport, but knowing the short timeline before new year's (at least in the points world)...i'd guess it's going to be very tough to a) accumulate the points in time and b) find seats for four people, especially for new year's travel.

If you just want to save money and lock in some seats...sign up for travel cash back card and you can save a few hundred. cap one aspire, bmo world elite travel, scotia amex gold...they each offer a few hundred of savings.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
not knowing your home airport, but knowing the short timeline before new year's (at least in the points world)...i'd guess it's going to be very tough to a) accumulate the points in time and b) find seats for four people, especially for new year's travel.

If you just want to save money and lock in some seats...sign up for travel cash back card and you can save a few hundred. cap one aspire, bmo world elite travel, scotia amex gold...they each offer a few hundred of savings.
+1
Old Sep 16, 2015, 7:10 am

What can one do with MBNA Rewards points?

Can't find the info with a simple Google search.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.