MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Is it correct in assuming that the 10% BA discount is not stackable with AARP (if it comes back) because each requires you to go through separate portals?
it is stackable. It was pricing out (i.e. getting both the $400 and 10% discount) on some flights I was looking at a while ago...but now AARP doesn't work. So annoying.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by Smiley90
incorrect. the 10% discount is just a promo code, it can be input on the AARP portal too AFAIK. Doesn't require a portal. (CARDOFFERU)
Right, but that's the American code for holders of whatever US card. When the RBC card had a code iirc it was CARDOFFERC. In the RBC T&C it mentions needing to go through the RBC portal.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:37 pm

Right, but that's the American code for holders of whatever US card. When the RBC card had a code iirc it was CARDOFFERC. In the RBC T&C it mentions needing to go through the RBC portal.
OK then you're talking about two different things.

AARP only works with flights departing from the U.S. (or at least it did). It would never work with the Canadian discount code, which requires a flight departing from Canada.

AARP is (or was) stackable with the US discount code. Unfortunately, I only found that out from a fellow FTer a few weeks ago. Could have saved me a few hundred bucks earlier this year when I booked some flights. Oh well.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
OK then you're talking about two different things.

AARP only works with flights departing from the U.S. (or at least it did). It would never work with the Canadian discount code, which requires a flight departing from Canada.

AARP is (or was) stackable with the US discount code. Unfortunately, I only found that out from a fellow FTer a few weeks ago. Could have saved me a few hundred bucks earlier this year when I booked some flights. Oh well.
I know, but the Canadian code has no restrictions (unless the T&Cs are wrong) so in theory would be able to be used with AARP assuming the aforementioned portal requirement had a workaround.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I know, but the Canadian code has no restrictions (unless the T&Cs are wrong) so in theory would be able to be used with AARP assuming the aforementioned portal requirement had a workaround.
... AARP only works for flights originatiing in the US, CARDOFFERC only works for flights originating in Canada, so how do you want to make this work?

(CARDOFFERC works even without going through a portal)

CARDOFFERU is stackable with the AARP discount because they both require US-originating flights.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:45 pm

No, it could not work.

CARDOFFERC requires a flight departing Canada. That is the primary restriction in this example since AARP discount requires a flight departing the U.S.

If you want to get a 10% discount and AARP, just use the U.S. discount code. Smiley90 was kind enough to provide the info a few posts ago.

(this discussion kind of useless at the moment since AARP discount doesn't work).
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:29 pm

Ah ok my mistake. I just took a second look through the RBC T&C and found the offending exCanada line. Guess this cards not worth it after all. Thanks!
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:27 am

Ah ok my mistake. I just took a second look through the RBC T&C and found the offending exCanada line. Guess this cards not worth it after all. Thanks!
Yes, I'm struggling a bit with that decision. It's a bit of an opportunity cost spending $9k in 3 months for 50k Avios that I don't particularly covet. The fact that the companion pass is earned on calendar year spending rather than on card year is also pretty annoying.

But hey, I've got nothing better to do...so might get it anyways.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
I assume it's no accident that the RBC released the extra bonus so close to the end of the year.

I got my card and it's done. I had to pick my card up in branch and the teller didn't read the bright pink sticker on the envelope telling her to help me pick a PIN. So I have a card with no pin, not that it matters (I called in the 2 purchases). I won't be using it for day to day purchases, or again. Avios just not that useful. Since I'm doing long haul trips lately I costed a J trip YYZ-HKG-DPS and it's something like 750,000 (3pax)!!! Ok very little YQ, but Aeroplan F, is 630,000 + $2000, J 465,000 + $2k.

However a quick jaunt to JFK in J for a weekend is reasonable.

Is the companion pass for reward or paid travel?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
I assume it's no accident that the RBC released the extra bonus so close to the end of the year.

I got my card and it's done. I had to pick my card up in branch and the teller didn't read the bright pink sticker on the envelope telling her to help me pick a PIN. So I have a card with no pin, not that it matters (I called in the 2 purchases). I won't be using it for day to day purchases, or again. Avios just not that useful. Since I'm doing long haul trips lately I costed a J trip YYZ-HKG-DPS and it's something like 750,000 (3pax)!!! Ok very little YQ, but Aeroplan F, is 630,000 + $2000, J 465,000 + $2k.

However a quick jaunt to JFK in J for a weekend is reasonable.

Is the companion pass for reward or paid travel?
It's for reward travel. Get 2 award tickets for the price of one. However, both passengers have to pay the YQ...which can easily be over a grand on BA.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
if i could actually spend $9k in 3 months I'd go for it, and just save the points for trips to New York or Chicago (assuming from YYZ)
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:32 am

That's what I thought. It does require some planning!!

I have not found Avios availability to be that great, LAX-SYD in J is non-existent or tries to route via LHR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 38hrs!

I have no desire to fly to Europe for the near future, it would be neat to see the homeland (UK) after being away for 30+ yrs but not with the pound @ 2.1!!!

Getting to Indonesia is so easy via AP and I didn't get touched with the recent deval and miles are so so easy to get.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:33 am

LAX-SYD on United isn't an easy redemption either, but Qantas is notoriously stingy.

Best Avios redemptions in business class are band 3 redemptions (when it's still double and not triple). North America excluded since they register as First class at quadruple miles

Pricing is outdated but maps are fine

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ing-bands.html
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Avios redemptions are by far best for Y class flights... 30k one-way YVR-HKG, 12.5k YVR-JFK, off-peak to LHR, HKG-JNB, positioning flights within NA/EU to cheap fares etc.

Booking J with Avios is just not that great sadly... Avios Y beats most other programs, while Avios J gets beaten by most.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
LAX-SYD on United isn't an easy redemption either, but Qantas is notoriously stingy.
I did ok with UA J in July LAX-SYD, 3 departing, 2 return (wife was on 34). I found there was quite a bit of availability 1 week out both departing LAX/SFO. Sure beats AC YQ, by a few grand!

Never did get UA F as for some reason (Friday arrival? SYD) our flight was full, F was open the next few days. I was glad as it would not have been worth the miles/change fee. 2 reasons I
a)could see the seat was bleh
b)" why are you bugging me" FA's who should be served ice cream in a retirement home, not serving it to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.