MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by onebagtraveller
I'm investigating credit cards for friends.

They have a preference for MC - so I was thinking of Alaska Air and maybe even Westjet World Elite.

I'd like them to be fairly flexible with redemptions - Alaska Air seems ideal with CX and EK available. Westjet seemed okay as they are more likely to fly them vs. Alaska as they are in Toronto. Otherwise not sure about Westjet redemptions - if it applies to their partners AA and Delta or just for Westjet dollars?

Otherwise there is the BMO World Elite but that seems locked to their travel centre...not sure how much they would like that.

Any advice would be appreciated!
List of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)

IMO, depends on their usage
If they don't fly much or redeem much, RBC WestJet isn't that useful
MBNA Alaska - only get it for the AS miles
The new CapitalOne Aspire may be interesting - 40K after 1st purchase, straight 2% redemption on Travel (allows partial redemption)..but $150/year fee though without annual 10K bonus

Originally Posted by flyer05
I applied for both the MBNA Alaska Airlines card and the Best Western Rewards card and was approved for both. I was wondering, if a hard pull has generated, I should be able to see it on my credit report immediately upon requesting a new report after the applications, right? When applying for these two cards it seemed that the MBNA system had pre-approved me for a credit limit raise from an existing card I had with them, and so automatically approved me for the Alaska card. I then called in and asked for some of the new credit given to me to be reallocated to the Best Western card that I told them I was also applying for. They agreed to do this and I successfully received both cards. In this case is it possible that a hard pull wasn't generated at all?
why are you so concerned about 1 or 2 pulls?
You applied for 2 cards = most likely 2 pulls. so if you only got 1, you're already ahead
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Based on the BW *enhancements* I do not plan on signing up to this card. It will now be difficult to get real value out of this card....
Meh, I just signed up because I'm planning on spending a night in Chicago (two rooms) in December, and I looked up redemptions and there are some decent ones available. A free night is a free night. Especially with how bad our dollar is right now.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: Accor Platinum,Aeroplan,BA,Marriot Rewards, Alaska Airlines, Amex Platinum, SPG
I'm trying to find the Best Western app with 40000 points/fyf. When I try the link at the top, it doesn't seem to connect and the one with MBNA is only 20000. Any thoughts? I would call in if I knew there was 40000 offer.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:44 am
alc

Originally Posted by kay sedia
I'm trying to find the Best Western app with 40000 points/fyf. When I try the link at the top, it doesn't seem to connect and the one with MBNA is only 20000. Any thoughts? I would call in if I knew there was 40000 offer.
I just try the link up top and it does send me to the 40K sign-up bonus, so might be your PC issue.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: Accor Platinum,Aeroplan,BA,Marriot Rewards, Alaska Airlines, Amex Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by alc
I just try the link up top and it does send me to the 40K sign-up bonus, so might be your PC issue.
My other laptop worked fine, thanks!
Went to apply online, then called in to see if they would just transfer some of my hefty Alaska cl, agent said no offered to do my app on the phone but said offer code was invalid, hung up when he put me hold and applied through link. Decision pending.

Last edited by kay sedia; Oct 14, 2015 at 9:13 am Reason: update
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by onebagtraveller
I'd like them to be fairly flexible with redemptions - Alaska Air seems ideal with CX and EK available. Westjet seemed okay as they are more likely to fly them vs. Alaska as they are in Toronto. Otherwise not sure about Westjet redemptions - if it applies to their partners AA and Delta or just for Westjet dollars?

Otherwise there is the BMO World Elite but that seems locked to their travel centre...not sure how much they would like that.
To me the biggest question with recommendations for friends is: are they willing to put in the effort to understand airline award systems, or do they just want something simple that reduces travel cost? The Alaska card will probably yield better value on aspirational stuff (e.g. premium class flights) than BMO World Elite or CapOne Aspire, but the latter two are super simple to understand and obtain value from, especially given the recent changes to the Aspire redemption scheme.

Note on BMO World Elite -- from my experience the points are easy to use. Hotel and flight selection and prices are essentially the same as Expedia. Light years ahead of CIBC Aventura which had a very clumsy interface and very limited hotel selection and info, and sometimes pretty bad value.

That said, neither BMO World Elite or CapOne Aspire are currently FYF and neither have a GCR cash back for application, but CapOne has the better welcome bonus: $400 worth vs. $300 for BMO... after the annual fee it's still $250 of free travel money for the cost of two hard pulls (IIRC CapOne pulls both EQ and TU). Other similar MC rewards cards are MBNA World Elite (FYF, same earn rate, 60$ GCR cash back, but small 10k bonus) and National Bank World Elite (FYF, lower earn rate except for purchases in foreign currencies, no GCR cash back, 20k bonus + 10k on second year, some extra perks). There's also the TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite (why only MC and not Visa?), earn rate is lesser than the others (except National Bank) but has $50 GCR cash back and a bonus worth $200 in travel. I would pick the CapOne Aspire despite the annual fee.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:33 am

We can't transfer amex points to alaska airmiles in Canada can we? I don't see it in the member transfer list in my online amex account. Is the only way to earn alaska miles with the alaska or spg credit cards?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by wpgpoints
We can't transfer amex points to alaska airmiles in Canada can we? I don't see it in the member transfer list in my online amex account. Is the only way to earn alaska miles with the alaska or spg credit cards?
Well, you can transfer Amex to SPG and then to Alaska, but it's questionable value. 40k MR = 20k SPG = 25K AS miles

Otherwise, correct for credit cards, yes.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 4:41 pm

FYI:

Scotiabank just bought JP Morgan Chase Canadian credit card business.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/scot...ions-1.3272534

This includes Marriott Visa.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by imverge
FYI:

Scotiabank just bought JP Morgan Chase Canadian credit card business.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/scot...ions-1.3272534

This includes Marriott Visa.
mhmmm interesting. "don't kill it don't kill it don't kill it"
Old Oct 15, 2015, 5:19 pm

The press release only mentions Mastercard and private label card, and says nothing about Visas.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
The press release only mentions Mastercard and private label card, and says nothing about Visas.
From the official press release (bolding mine):
The credit card portfolio includes approximately $1.7 Billion in receivables and 2 million well-performing active customer accounts. The agreement also includes the acquisition of JPMorgan Chase's credit card operations in Canada. These operations include a highly-skilled bilingual call centre in Ottawa with fraud, collections, recovery and customer service expertise.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
From the official press release (bolding mine):
The first part of the press release clearly states that it's only the mastercard and private label credit cards alng with the associated operations.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:33 pm

I guess we'll have to wait and see an official announcement from Chase Canada…
Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
That would really suck if the only cards with no FX fee end up being killed by Scotia (if indeed they are taking over the Chase Visa portfolio as well)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.