MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:25 pm

Should have waited to apply for the CIBC too... urgh.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
I have 2 CIBC biz cards at the moment, my 3rd app is pending. I should have cancelled the 1st before I went for #3. My wife cancelled her first, next week got another.

I'm going to tell her to go for a 3rd.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
I have 2 CIBC biz cards at the moment, my 3rd app is pending. I should have cancelled the 1st before I went for #3. My wife cancelled her first, next week got another.

I'm going to tell her to go for a 3rd.
You have 2 of the same cards? Any issues in getting your 2nd one?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 4:12 pm

I hope I didn't overdo it... applied for a second card, and it's pending. Called in, and they said 3-5 business days. They may have to split the limit between the 2 cards... I have been approved for a couple of other cards in the past week... Anyways, at least going to wait 3 months before the next application, whether i get declined or not
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by DealAddict
You have 2 of the same cards? Any issues in getting your 2nd one?
Not on the 2nd, maybe the 3rd was overreach....?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:24 pm

any know if I cancel my Alaska CC will I still keep the existing annual coach Companion? do I have to be the user to use this companion?

how often can you churn this card now, is it managed by TD now?

for CIBC Aventura what's the best use, redeem for gift card?

Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by ecgz88
any know if I cancel my Alaska CC will I still keep the existing annual coach Companion? do I have to be the user to use this companion?

how often can you churn this card now, is it managed by TD now?

MBNA is still very churn-friendly, and people are still able to get more than one Alaska CC at a time it seems.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: whatever gets me where i want
The Terms and Conditions appear to prohibit blatantly churning of the Aerogold business. But I suppose worst comes to worst they just decline you for attempted manipulation to gain an extra 25k aeroplan. Might not hurt going for a second one just by the deadline.

I feel bad because I put a total of $5 on the Aerogold business visa although I do use the personal version of the card.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by bmabnorth
The Terms and Conditions appear to prohibit blatantly churning of the Aerogold business. But I suppose worst comes to worst they just decline you for attempted manipulation to gain an extra 25k aeroplan.
Yet people have reported cancelling and getting a new card and the bonus again or holding 2 at the same time?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 5:26 am

You feel bad for the big bad banks?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle24658918/

Sorry not here.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by bmabnorth
The Terms and Conditions appear to prohibit blatantly churning of the Aerogold business. But I suppose worst comes to worst they just decline you for attempted manipulation to gain an extra 25k aeroplan. Might not hurt going for a second one just by the deadline.

I feel bad because I put a total of $5 on the Aerogold business visa although I do use the personal version of the card.
Will CIBC mail the card to your address? I applied once last year, and they wouldn't mail it to me, but wanted me to come in and pick up the card in branch. I know it's for security reasons, because I don't have an account with them. But I'm wondering if any of you who have gotten this card have been able to have it actually mailed to you, without having any relationship with CIBC other than getting this card. Thanks.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Preacher7
Will CIBC mail the card to your address? I applied once last year, and they wouldn't mail it to me, but wanted me to come in and pick up the card in branch. I know it's for security reasons, because I don't have an account with them. But I'm wondering if any of you who have gotten this card have been able to have it actually mailed to you, without having any relationship with CIBC other than getting this card. Thanks.
Preacher7,

FWIW, based on my scattered experience, I don't think there's a definite answer for this.

Myself, I also don't bank with CIBC, other than their credit cards (no bank accounts/investments). However, I've held two long-time pre-churn-days CIBC no-fee cards, from since early-2000's and they were both delivered to my home. However, when I applied for my first-ever AeroInfinite card, I was requested to go in-branch to pick it up. When I asked a phone rep why this was required, he said it was because I don't have enough history with them, that it was a higher/premium card than my previous ones, and they wanted a face-to-face for a pick-up. I didn't buy that answer, but complied.

I went through several card iterations for the same /similar cards (shhh!) since then, and they were all sent to my home...until earlier this year, when once again I was asked to go in-branch to pickup a new card. Again, I asked a rep why, since I have had (insert undisclosed number here) CIBC cards within the past 2 years all delivered to my home. Rep just gave me a figurative I-dunno-shrug, and I gave one back to him. Went to the branch, lined up to see a teller, grabbed some candy, picked up the card. After that, my next iteration of cards were delivered to my home.

My personal experiences aside, I have noticed several posters remark that an in-branch pick-up is required if you're a new CIBC client...but then you'll all see a similar number of people (new clients) saying their cards were mailed to them.

That's the info I'm aware of, from my little world, so it's not worth much!

JJJ, who sometimes misspells his streetname.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:22 am

Never with CIBC, but had cards with them for 10+ years.

RBC last month I had to pickup in branch my new Avios card.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: whatever gets me where i want
CIBC mailed to me. Also approved my business visa without me having to call.

TD did make me go to the branch though. Their online application system is terrible.

Alright, I will have no mercy on CIBC and apply for a second then, you have me convinced ...

Need more aeroplan anyway due to the devaluation.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Never with CIBC, but had cards with them for 10+ years.

RBC last month I had to pickup in branch my new Avios card.
RBC made me pick up my first card with them, I think because I don't bank with them. They've mailed me the 3 CC downgrades/upgrades since then.

I don't have any other CCs with any other brick and mortar banks - other than the only two I already bank with (BMO and CIBC) so I don't know what their policy is. Honestly, I'm reluctant to welcome any more of these major banks into my fold...I'm happier to stick with MBNA, Amex, Cap One and Chase...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.